Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another GoFundMe begathon

Posted by navi8orgirl 
Another GoFundMe begathon
December 24, 2014
Of course, my fledgling business tweeted about the Chicago shelter about to be evicted (though it raised more than enough so maybe not.

Of course, the begathon hits me again:

http://www.gofundme.com/HonorRollKid?=yR3d

An industrial engineer gets laid off, can't get a new job but as the best paid person in the family is the person chosen to ensure his nephew has one rad Xmas. And because his nephew is on the honor roll (in first grade) he deserves no items less than 85 bucks:

*Tim ber land Boots (Kids Size 13; http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4064129) - $85.00

*I Pod Gen 5 ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipod-touch-32gb-mp3-player-5th-generation-latest-model-space-gray/2242047.p?id=1219070629486&skuId=2242047) - $219.99

W ii Games ( http://www.gamestop.com/gift-cards) - $200.00

Guitar ( http://www.guitarcenter.com/Holiday-Guitars-2014-g5651t1.gc?icid=402373&o=1) - $99.99

Spider Man Poster (Spiderman Fat Head; http://www.fathead.com/heroes/spider-man/) - $99.99

Cool Shirts (5 @ $20) - $100

*Le Bron 12's (Kids Size 13; http://www.kidsfootlocker.com/product/model:226087/sku:85184602) - $89.99 (had to delete the banned word N......Ike)

*New Bike ( http://www.target.com/c/kids-bikes-sports-outdoors/-/N-5xt7wZ5t81y#?lnk=Grid_102214-kbks_X0Y0W4|X0Y0W4|T:Template_Grid1A|C:CMS&intc=2069063|null) - $149.99

Total: $1045.00
Tax: ~10% = $104.50
GoFundMe Fees (5%) = $52.25
WePay Fees (2,9%) = $30.31
GoFundMe Fees ($0.30 per ~$10 Donation) = $34.00

Requested Amount: $1267 Amount raised: zip

The comments say it all:
Janae Wheeler 2 hours ago
Best Wishes raising funds! We just completed our toy drive for local children in NoVa. Our kids won't be receiving such pricey gifts, but if you were local we could have gotten something to him. Thanks for reaching out to us. Well wishes on raising funds.
Amaya Tekel 3 hours ago
wow quite a list, sometimes its best to teach kids Christmas is not about receiving. I pray that im wrong nut (sic) The real chance of anyone donating a dime is slim to none

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
Re: Another GoFundMe begathon
December 24, 2014
Another commenter
Um...not. This tugged at my heart, so I clicked to see...and this is just gross. I was regretting (for a second) spending $200 on our 7 y.o. son, when we have bills that aren't paid. A wii? $85 shoes that will last 6 mos, if that? Sorry, maybe try again with less "want" & you'd get more support. Btw, not sure about your area, but our son got a free bike from a program that does free bikes for kids (Minn.).

At that age, I didn't even get close to 1/4 that for my birthday and Christmas combined! :hs

There is no rule that you have to get a kyd everything (or ANYTHING) on his list. Either this guy is full of shit or that's one huge fucking spoiled brat. :BS
December 24, 2014
rudeawakening
Either this guy is full of shit or that's one huge fucking spoiled brat. :BS

The two conditions are not mutually exclusive. It's entirely possible - even likely - that the beggar is full of shit *and* his kid is a fucking spoiled brat.
December 24, 2014
Currently the total stands at $145.

A fool and their money...
December 24, 2014
I had to check the link to see why a frickin' Spiderman poster would cost a fat Benjamin, then saw it is actually one of those wall murals. Sorry kid. In a year, you'd be yammering for some other superhero and want to peel Spidey off the wall.

Timberlands? OK boots, but you can go to Walmart and get a pair just like those, only lacking the decal for ~$20

Ipod, games, some sports player's crap? Total fripperies. Sorry that you'll have to droop and feel sorry for yourself that you aren't in the IN crowd who have such nonsense. 20 years from now, it won't mean squat.

Maybe the bike. Compared to the bike shopping Dh and I did last year for ourselves, $150 is pretty cheap. But I'd be concerned that the bike would languish in the garage or driveway because the kid is glued to his Ipod or games.
December 24, 2014
Being on the honor roll now means a whole lot of nothing. If the kid can breathe, that generally means he's honor roll material. I was on the honor roll a lot too, but no one decided I needed a thousand dollars worth of shit for it. It was more like, "Good job, Cambion. Here's $20, get a pony doll." Even that was too much, I think, because kids shouldn't get rewarded every single time they do something right. If all they learn is honor roll = toys, they don't learn to do well for the sake of doing well.

How's about the kid learns a hard lesson: that the breadwinner lost their job and X-mess won't be extravagant. If it's a big deal, make it up to the kid and have a belated Christmas if/when the parents become financially stable again. If this person asked for cash to help pay for two of those items, I think people might be more willing to help.

No first grader needs a fucking guitar, and I seriously doubt this kid is in band at school. He doesn't need both games and an iPod. He doesn't need a $100 poster - go to a comic shop and buy a $20 one. I'd say a good balance is for this uncle to maybe get one thing the kid wants and one thing he needs. If he needs shoes, pick either boots or shoes (and they do not have to be an expensive brand). Pick one thing he wants.

Besides that, it's not the uncle's responsibility to give the kid all this shit, especially when he's poor and in debt. Plus, this campaign was just started yesterday. How's this guy gonna get all the donations, order everything, receive it and wrap it all in time for Christmas, which is tomorrow? Idiot.
December 24, 2014
Gee that gives a whole new definition to the phrase 'spoiled rotten crotchfruit.'
December 25, 2014
Looks like the campaign is gone. All signs have been removed from my Twitter feed and the campaign is no longer found on GFM.

Must have had complaints on Twitter...one other one hit me up and their account was suspended.

From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
December 26, 2014
On a similar note, I saw some mess on Facebook about how the more well-off parents should be more cognizant about what presents come from "Santa" and what ones come from the parents themselves. Basically saying that any expensive presents like video game consoles, iPads, iPhones, etc. should be from "Mom and Dad" and not "Santa" in order to preserve the feelings of their kids' less fortunate classmates who might feel that Santa shafted them by not getting such expensive stuff because their parents are broke.

How about the poorer parents do some damage control themselves and explain to the kids why Santa didn't bring them expensive shit instead of policing what the wealthier parents do and say? It's not their fault they can't afford XBoxes and iPads.

As if this sort of thing isn't going to backfire. I can only imagine once the poorer kids get wind of this, they'll be on their parents wondering why they're so poor and can't afford to get them video games and shit for Christmas.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
December 26, 2014
paragon schnitzophonic
As if this sort of thing isn't going to backfire. I can only imagine once the poorer kids get wind of this, they'll be on their parents wondering why they're so poor and can't afford to get them video games and shit for Christmas.

Examining the gifts that children receive now, I know I would have been one of the kids that didn't get the iPhone, iPad, etc. etc. My parents couldn't afford it.

On top of that, I can't imagine what the response would be if I asked my dad, who worked tons of hours and whom I saw fairly infrequently, for a $500 iPad and data plan. I don't think it would have gone over too well.

That being said, I think there's a good lesson to be learned here: If you want expensive electronic shit, you've gotta work for it and ultimately, pay for it yourself. There's a great deal more satisfaction in earning something than having it given to you.

On the rare occasion that I'm out in public and see a kid with a cell phone or electronic device, I tend to notice one common thread--MANY of these devices have glass screens that are completely smashed up and shattered. Children are completely careless when it comes to caring for these expensive devices and since they didn't earn the devices anyway, I really can't blame them.
Anonymous User
December 27, 2014
I wish tax refunds were dispensed in November/December. Then we could all look at the begging breeders and say "You don't need a handout. You just got your tax refund full of EICs for each loaf you shat out."

It never ceases to disgust me, the orgy of consumerism the breeders wallow in this time of year, followed by another one a month later. Just you wait, in a short month the walmarts will be full of fat breeders dressed in pajamas waddling through the electronics department with three carts full of game systems and flat screens, out at 2 AM, as soon as the refunds hit their bank accounts.

These are the same ones that didn't have a pot to piss in a month before and desperately needed your donations to save xmas for a chyld, and are spending recklessly a month later, with no inkling whatsoever that another xmas is coming in 2015. By Valentines Day, they will be broke again.
December 27, 2014
I also don't really like the rampant consumerism myself.. I just don't need anything around this time of year. I usually buy things for myself when I need them. I usually make gifts for others anymore, like knitting work. I hate having to buy things. Although I have been doing a lot of theological study so books are my THING right now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login