Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oh sooo precocious and encouraged

Posted by crazy old crone 
Oh sooo precocious and encouraged
January 26, 2015
I compete in dog agility, we had a particularly poor trial over the weekend and before the last run I needed to get my dog into her crate while I went to the bathroom. Well this little snot-etta of about 9 was nearby being gushed over for pulling up the tape used for designating no crating areas. I have trained my dog to enter her crate when I tell her she will get a treat for doing so. I prefer for her to see a reward after she does what she is asked. Dog was tired and cranky too and I was having to work this behavior a bit. Well, super-special Snot-ettta felt the need to correct my dog training and said, with the smirk of one who would be applauded for wiping her own ass, "If you put the treat in her crate she will go in". God it went all through me and I said in a flat voice "thanks, but I will do what I need to do".

Why are Snot-ettas encouraged to correct adults? That is beside the fact that luring and trapping a dog, whose breed is considered one of the most intelligent, would work once then cause her not to want to go in at all when she is tired!!! I would have given her more of an ear full but didn't want to risk Mom getting me punished by the AKC for unsportsmanlike behavior. But I would prefer to be left alone. I don't mi d polite kids asking about agility or talking about s course if they are a jr handler, but those kids were raised to not act like they are smarter than adults and need to step in and correct adults. I was very pissed.
Re: Oh sooo precocious and encouraged
January 26, 2015
That's how the parunts get Snot-etta into her crate.
January 26, 2015
How fricking annoying. I spent a couple years at dog shows with a friend who bred Great Pyrenees. She has three daughters, and only the oldest one participated. She was and still is my favorite, smart, quiet and mature beyond her years. She would never act like the brat you had the misfortune to encounter. In my biased opinion, the only youth attending dog events should be junior handlers or mature teens who know to mind their own business. Once my friend stopped showing, I made other friends showing Anatolian Shepherds. I never heard or saw kids with them. Same with people showing the breed I have now in rare breed shows. JHC, the dog "fancy" used to be mostly adult, but larvae must insinuate themselves everywhere. You are far nicer than I could ever be. How dare anyone question the way you train your dog.
January 27, 2015
barren4ever
How fricking annoying. I spent a couple years at dog shows with a friend who bred Great Pyrenees. She has three daughters, and only the oldest one participated. She was and still is my favorite, smart, quiet and mature beyond her years. She would never act like the brat you had the misfortune to encounter. In my biased opinion, the only youth attending dog events should be junior handlers or mature teens who know to mind their own business. Once my friend stopped showing, I made other friends showing Anatolian Shepherds. I never heard or saw kids with them. Same with people showing the breed I have now in rare breed shows. JHC, the dog "fancy" used to be mostly adult, but larvae must insinuate themselves everywhere. You are far nicer than I could ever be. How dare anyone question the way you train your dog.

You are absolutely right, there was a worse incident at an agility trial back in the fall where some feral brats were there to watch Grandmoo show her Golden Retriever. These brats got in an off limits area behind where my friend and I were crated WITH THEIR PARUUNTS and were bouncing a ball off the walls. My poor dog was huddled in her crate scared. I got so angry, my friend went and told them to stop doing that. Then Grandmoo said LOUDLY to the spawn "I'm sorry you had to stop having fun". It wasn't her dog being terrorized, it was our dogs, so who cares right? THEN another feral brat came up in front of the crate housing my friend's 85 lb German Shepherd Dog (my 35 lb Border Collie wouldn't have been enough of a challenge for Bratlee in this case) and started loudly bouncing his ball against the cement floor and jumping around teasing the BIG dog in a soft crate that he could have easily ripped out of instantly if he had wanted to. IDIOT!!!!! I guess he didn't see a Rottweiler handy to torment so a German Shepherd had to do. My friend, shooed him off (I have no guts when it comes to spawn, I am afraid the parents will get me kicked out or do something to my dog, of course if parents threatened my friend they could end up with her dog protecting her in a big way. He's gentle unless you threaten his person).

I emailed the trial secretary the day after the trial about kids being allowed to run loose and tease dogs. That's simply not safe. And if a dog reacted he/she would be kicked out of competition if not put down. Completely unfair to put people in that position when they paid their money to come to the show. The parents of those brats didn't pay a dime. I never got a response from the trial secretary. Typical.

My 11 year old niece is a junior handler, in no way would she ever behave like any of the brats above. She is incredibly responsible. She trains her dog wonderfully and adores animals to the point of telling of a Bratlina who was mistreating her own cat when they were about 5. She is considering that she might want to be a Vet when she grows up. I love being around her, she's a great person. She's basically just a small person rather than an indulged little monster.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login