Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moo Sues on Behalf of Daughter with Subpar Athletic Skills

Posted by cfchevygirl 
Moo Sues on Behalf of Daughter with Subpar Athletic Skills
April 02, 2015
Jist of the story is that Sneauxflayke wasn't good enough to get regular playing time on her HS volleyball team. Sneauxflayke wanted to skirt league rules and transfer to another team, but the league denied her transfer and now Sneauxflayke is suing.

Seriously? Has it come to this? That parunts are suing because their kyds don't have the skills to be a team regular?

A teen club volleyball player and her family are suing after they said her coaches spiked her playing time and her league blocked a transfer to another club.

Audrey Dimitrew, 16, of Virginia accepted a spot on the under-16 Chantilly Juniors in November believing she would get playing time, but was told by coaches she did not have the skills to compete with her team.

The sophomore at Woodgrove High School and her family sued the Chesapeake Region Volleyball Association on March 10 after they said she was accepted to another club but was denied the transfer from her league.

The lawsuit seeks to let Audrey transfer clubs and asks for attorney fees.

Link

Now personally I didn't play sports in HS, so maybe I'm wrong in thinking that the vast majority of HS athletes do NOT go on to become professionals of any kind. With practice, yes this girl may have gotten better; but, why not practice on her own and improve her skills and try to be a regular on the team? No, instead, a mediocre player is going to sue because her HS team gives playing time to players who can actually help the team win.

As far as switching teams goes, that's a league rule that they cannot unless you face some kind of hardship. Sneauxflayke doesn't qualify and they won't make a spayshul exception for her.

I think this is completely ridiculous. I'm sure it's only a matter of time now until parunts start suing schools if their kyds are too stupid to pass classes, or what have you.
Re: Moo Sues on Behalf of Daughter with Subpar Athletic Skills
April 03, 2015
What in the fuck is the point of even doing this? Hey, let's sue the high school volleyball league because the girl sucks at playing! And what happens if they win and Derpina is allowed to play as much as a skilled student? The team will likely lose more often and Derpina will become the target of hate and ridicule for losing all the games. Then I'm sure the next step would be suing the families of the kids who pick on her loser ass.

Not everyone's good at sports. If you try out for the team and get rejected, then you move the fuck on. If you're spending all your game time being a benchwarmer, take the hint and quit the team already. Why's Moo focusing so much on what her daughter can't do and fighting so hard to let her do something she sucks at? I think this is time and money that could be better spent nurturing the girl's actual talents, whatever they may be.

Besides, what kind of precedent does this set? "Duhhhh, Junior didn't make da football teem. Let's sue until them fuckin' coaches put him on the field!" Soon, all the parents who want their darlings to be star quarterbacks or cheerleading captains will be dragging schools through the mud in order to force them to put their mediocre brats on various teams and ensuring many losses. I bet if these idiot parents win and get their own way, a lot of them will wind up with slashed tires and egged houses, courtesy of the sport breeders who take their kids' athletic "careers" too seriously.
April 03, 2015
She was not denied a spot on the team. She rode the bench.

I played lacrosse. I was a starter and a lot of people rode the pine all season long. How many NFL players did that last season?

And no, many HS athletes don't even break into college sports, much less the pros.

I do get that these clubs cost a shit-ton of money and do promise the moon. They want your cash. So of course they see talent. Hoever, there is always a better player than you.

Parent fail alert. Way to teach your kid that if you stamp your feet and run to a lawyer, you will get what you want.

This is the result of the "everyone gets a trophy" shit. The chickens have come home to roost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
April 03, 2015
The financial costs associated with it (the lawsuit) might force the league out of existence. If her Audrey isn’t playing, then, her parents apparently feel, no one is going play.

If you ask coaches and administrators what drives then crazy about their sports, at the top of the list is one thing: parents.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/leeigel/2015/04/01/youth-sports-lawsuit-shows-kids-are-better-served-on-the-bench-than-before-the-bench/

I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
April 03, 2015
I was on a bowling team and I was the anchor for not one, but TWO teams, both junior varsity and varsity. But you know why? Because I was at the alley perfecting my arc and my wrist work. You have to PRACTICE to get better. Why didn't MOOmy have her practice and teach her how to fall without hurting herself and how to pass and the mechanics of the game and all that? Oh wait, that requires effort.
April 03, 2015
All I can say is, thank God for Google Search.

Companies can easily search her name and quickly add her name to the, "Do not hire under any circumstances because at some point she'll sue us" list.
April 03, 2015
I'm not clearly understanding whether this league is an actual part of the school system there? Anyway, my point is that it irritates me when parents teach their brats that the schools had better not subject their Bratleigh to any rules that make Bratleigh unhappy, or if they do, the parents will sue the school.

I know we've had the discussion here recently about whether schools should even have sports and the problems in placing such emphasis on sports. However, what I wanted to say is that I feel like this is just teaching this kyd that rules and policies don't apply to her.

Fine, teach your kyd to appeal to the coach and then appeal to the league. But I think at some point, they need to teach the kyd that things don't always go your way and sometimes you have to accept that.

And truthfully, I don't understand why the article said she was originally told by the coach that she'd get a lot of playing time and then that changed, or why the coach told her she could go to another team or league but the league then overrode that.

But teaching her that she's a victim and the mean schools are so wrong and if the appeals to the coaches and the league don't go her way, we'll get a lawyer and go appeal to the legal system and put the school system in its place? That's the persona I'm getting from these types of stories whenever they come up in the news.

Of course, the ability to appeal to our legal systems is crucial to defending our rights, and school is part of life, but still it really bothers me in cases where it's parunts totally defending their kyds and suing the schools and letting their kyds go on tv and the kyd acting act all smug and self righteous and victimised. I feel like it's just teaching their brats that they're extra special and no one's gonna tell them what to do. And I don't think it's right to make kyds feel so empowered against their teachers, coaches, orchestra/band/choir leaders, etc.
April 03, 2015
It appears to be a for profit club, like the football camps and pee wee sports leagues. Not tied to schools but you play other teams.

She apparently played in school, and while you can be BMOC there, she is little fish in a bigger pond in the club. It is possible she (or, more likely, the helicopter parents) padded her stats and the coaches ooohed and aaahed, but when reality came knocking she did not pass muster.

The fact that the judge said there would be no injunction as he cannot interfere with private club's bylaws when they don't break laws is a good barometer of their odds of succeeding.

April 03, 2015
Way to go mom and dad, this was a perfect opportunity to teach Snotleigh that you can't always get what you want. I mean, the Rolling Stones made a song about this for fuck's sake!
April 03, 2015
Over the years many kids have joined junior sports teams and then ended up benched and playing little or none at all. I'm not sympathizing with the parents suing, don't get me wrong, but if the kid can't play well, why keep her on the team at all and keep her benched?

That's like an employer keeping people around who can't do the job, but continuing to employ and pay them anyway. You would think the team would simply tell her to hit the road if she doesn't have the skills. So why keep her or any other kid around if she's doomed to warm a bench instead of play? I've raised this question before and never have received a coherent answer.

Is keeping her a way of preventing another team from having her? If so, doesn't that raise the question of whether her playing skills might actually be of use to a team after all?

Not a sports fan, and this is one of many team practices I see when looking in from outside that boggle me.
April 03, 2015
kman
Over the years many kids have joined junior sports teams and then ended up benched and playing little or none at all. I'm not sympathizing with the parents suing, don't get me wrong, but if the kid can't play well, why keep her on the team at all and keep her benched?

That's like an employer keeping people around who can't do the job, but continuing to employ and pay them anyway. You would think the team would simply tell her to hit the road if she doesn't have the skills. So why keep her or any other kid around if she's doomed to warm a bench instead of play? I've raised this question before and never have received a coherent answer.

Is keeping her a way of preventing another team from having her? If so, doesn't that raise the question of whether her playing skills might actually be of use to a team after all?

Not a sports fan, and this is one of many team practices I see when looking in from outside that boggle me.

There is no correct answer to your question, other than the fact that most people in society believe in the extremely misguided concept that sports are "character building" activities that "teach life lessons." Neither of these are true.

But that belief is why you'll hear parents urging their kids not to quit their teams, even when they flat out have no talent or ability at the sport they are playing. Quitting on the sport would mean that those valuable "life lessons" and "character building" wouldn't happen.

Personally I don't see the point in watching other people do something that you obviously suck at. There are only 24 hours per day and our lives are limited. I think it makes a lot more sense to use that time doing something that I enjoy and actually get to take part in.
I don't like the sports nut culture in our society that worships athletes. I also hate that our legal system is tied up acting as a referee for stupid arguments that should be worked out between the two parties. While I don't think this is lawsuit worthy, I think what the club did is sleazy. These private sports clubs are businesses and they exist to make money. They make money by getting as many kids signed up at as high a price as they can, so they do have motivation to lie. I really don't understand why they want to force a girl who is doing nothing on a team she doesn't want to to be on, and I'm not sure why the parents don't just pull her out since the club is doing what they promised either.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login