Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Has anyone seen this TED Talk from Alexandra Paul? (actress)

Posted by gnarler 
Has anyone seen this TED Talk from Alexandra Paul? (actress)
April 07, 2015
She talks about overpopulation and limiting family size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNxctzyNxC0
Re: Has anyone seen this TED Talk from Alexandra Paul? (actress)
April 07, 2015
gnarler
She talks about overpopulation and limiting family size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNxctzyNxC0

The presenter was quite eloquent.
It is a must-see for many people.
April 07, 2015
It was a good presentation, but I doubt it will make any long-term impact on anyone in that audience, especially if they are from the US.

We are so far removed from the great famines in terms of both history and geography. As long as the shelves remain stocked at the Walmart, all is well in their eyes.
April 08, 2015
StudioFiftyFour
We are so far removed from the great famines in terms of both history and geography. As long as the shelves remain stocked at the Walmart, all is well in their eyes.

Just wait until this drought REALLY gets going out here in California... Then we'll see how far removed we are from famine...
April 08, 2015
starbelly
StudioFiftyFour

Just wait until this drought REALLY gets going out here in California... Then we'll see how far removed we are from famine...

I'm hoping for the best for the Golden Staters, because if it gets to the point where the government is rationing drinking water, you can bet your ass that the childfree will end up very thirsty...
April 08, 2015
I predict people will move back to Toledo and Detroit where there's plenty of fresh water. I predict Las Vegas will be abandoned by 2050.
April 08, 2015
starbelly
StudioFiftyFour

This is kind of what got me looking around. In every conversation I've been privy to about the drought, NOT ONE PERSON has brought up overpopulation as a culprit or limiting family size as a solution. People go on and on about sprinklers and pools, but silence about family size. In fact, one of my facebook "friends" just posted this the other day, and he has a 6 month old baby:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-water-hungry-foods-20150406-story.html

You want to know what's hogging the water? It's PEOPLE!

Meanwhile, I was watching the Daily Show the other night, and there was some guy on there promoting his book that talks about how much good veganism does for the environment. In fact, I think he may have said that going vegan is the best thing you can do for the environment. I wanted to scream at him through the TV, NO, you DOPE! The best thing you can do is be CF.

So I went looking around youtube for people who actually get it. I'm sick of the resistance of people to talking about this issue. Why can't Jon Steward have, for example, Laura Carroll on his show to promote this book she edited?

http://lauracarroll.com/shop/man-swarm-how-overpopulation-is-killing-the-wild-world-2/
April 08, 2015
Hardly any one is willing to discuss how population (ie people's excessive breeding) is at the heart of many of our local, regional, national and international problems.
April 08, 2015
JoJo
I predict people will move back to Toledo and Detroit where there's plenty of fresh water. I predict Las Vegas will be abandoned by 2050.

Yep. They'll have to come to the Great Lakes region. Which is one of the reasons I stay here, and also why I'm interested in Real Estate. The next 'boom' will be in the US / Canadian Great Lakes region. And they will have to come here because there is NO WAY the water will be given out. It's locked up 50 ways to Sunday by all sorts of laws and Int'l treaties. We saw what happened to the Aral Sea, we know what's happening in the US West - so the local powers that be have locked down all this water tight. You won't get any unless you move here. It has to stay "in basin". Period. End of.

Which is one of the things Cali has done wrong - all that water is leaving in the form of shipped out produce. Same with the US Plains area - all that underground water is shipped out in the form of Agra products.

Interesting book about US West water issues -
http://www.amazon.com/Cadillac-Desert-American-Disappearing-Revised/dp/0140178244

Interesting fact about the Middle East - it wasn't always desert. At one time - Iran was *covered* in Cedar forests. Environmental Scientists study the ME - to learn - what went wrong there. Which boils down to - too many people. Why do you think people migrated OUT of the place? Because they chewed through it like a Biblical plague of Locusts.

On this TED talk - I liked it very much and book marked it for future reference.

Somewhat unrelated note - I was fascinated to see a body like mine. YAY! I haven't been this excited since Miley Cyrus! Ha. Everything else you see is giant boobs and ass like Kim K. I mention this because I remember reading something about women's 'popular' (or Propagandized) body types and Politics. Something along the lines of - when Conservatives are in power - they push very "womanly" big breasted and big hipped women. With Liberals - you will see more 'slim' women focused on.
I also mention this too because if anyone knows what to do with legs / knees / hips like this - I'm all ears - I think I'm getting Arthritis.

And that's actually another thing tied to over population - chems in water, GMO Agra and chem laden foods, these would not exist if there weren't TOO MANY people.

Great Vid - I liked it very much and book marked it! thumbs upwink
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login