Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Old nuclear war drama Threads and today's autards (long)

Posted by kman 
Old nuclear war drama Threads and today's autards (long)
September 25, 2015
Please be warned. If you're sensitive, this might seriously disturb or upset you.

Threads was a BBC TV-movie about nuclear war and its aftermath shown in Britain in 1984. It's in the same vein as ABC's The Day After in the US or the theatrical release Testament, later shown on PBS stations.

The BBC drama was officially aired only one time on a US network then, on one of Ted Turner's cable stations in 1985. Like most Americans, I was unfamiliar with it until a mention appeared recently on another website.

Several days ago I watched Threads. At my age, in my 50s, nothing much on TV or in the movies fazes me, nor did any of it very much when I was younger. That was until viewing Threads online.

As all the reviewers say on various review sites and forums, it is the single most harrowing, shocking movie ever filmed, and it makes The Day After look like a slick, sanitized, overly optimistic joke. That's unfair to the American movie, which was really very good in its day, but Threads is far grittier. Unlike the earlier dramas, this BBC movie accounts for nuclear winter and goes some years into the bleak future after the attack. If The Day After was a slap in the face to wake you, Threads is a sucker punch to the gut—over and over and over again. Some reviewers have suggested that had it been released in theaters in the US, it might well have earned an NC-17 rating, the modern equivalent of X.

You'll find precious few jokes about Threads on forums. Instead, Britons all talk about how watching it affected them for days afterward. It did the same to me, which I did not expect.

If you insist on seeing it, and remember my warnings, here it is online:

https://vimeo.com/18781528

The scene that was the most gut-wrenching to me was pretty benign. It takes ten years after the war. A very limited recovery has brought back some electricity generation, and in this scene some children born after the war are being shown an old black-and-white educational video to try to teach them something. Whoever chose that video for that scene was a diabolical genius, as the subject could be considered virtually obscene given what had already happened. The subject was "skeletons and skulls": "This is a cat. This is a cat's skeleton. This is a chicken. This is the skeleton of a chicken." Skeletons and skulls are potent symbols of death and extinction, and you realize that those children will never see a live cat or live chicken and that those animals might well have been extinct in Britain by that time. This video drives home what has been lost. But that's not all.

Those children don't comprehend: they just stare blankly at the screen. They can't learn much: the radiation and lack of food after the attack stunted them permanently. They speak a broken English: a word here, a word there, barely understandable. You realize in this scene that the limited recovery cannot last, as the children will not be able to learn coal mining, operating steam equipment, or anything about power generation. As the adults who lived through the attack become debilitated and die off, which is already happening, these children will not be able to pick up the pieces and continue to rebuild. The limited recovery will turn out to be what economists (ironically) call a "dead cat bounce". If Britain is at medieval population levels and standard of survival ten years after the war, these children are the harbinger of Britain's looming new stone age. That part of the movie drives home the lack of hope for the future as well.

One of the children is a daughter born to a main character, Ruth, just after the war; Ruth was a few months' pregnant when the attack hit. Her daughter is affected too. When Ruth dies of premature aging around the time of the video screening, that is, ten years later, the daughter doesn't understand why Ruth isn't getting up to get them both some food. She shows no emotion at her mother's death. A few years later, after a boy her approximate age rapes and impregnates her, she gives birth to what is apparently a stillborn freak—but Threads deliberately leaves some details obscured. As she holds the baby just after birth at a makeshift hospital, she looks closely at it and appears just about to scream when the movie suddenly ends and the credits roll. That pending new stone age isn't going to last long either, it seems, since human oblivion will shortly follow if the youth are having mutants and stillbirths...

Threads left me badly shaken in a way no other movie ever has. I've seen The Day After a few times. I cannot watch Threads again, at least not any time soon.

But upon reflection in the days after watching the movie, the striking thing about the children was this. Threads appeared before autism and autards became well known. These children behave like today's low-functioning autards: can't learn, can't speak, prone to violence, lack of emotion or empathy. That raises a profound question: could there be something in the environment that is triggering autism? If so, to return to questions I've asked before, could it be something like cell phone towers or drug use? Seeing this movie makes me more determined to look for an answer. Your comments are of interest. Sorry for being so long-winded.
Re: Old nuclear war drama Threads and today's autards (long)
September 25, 2015
"That raises a profound question: could there be something in the environment that is triggering autism?"

-> there are scientists who say that autism is triggered by glyphosate.

http://naturalsociety.com/mit-scientist-glyphosate-to-cause-autism-in-50-of-children-by-2025/

chart:
http://www.medicaldaily.com/autism-rates-increase-2025-glyphosate-herbicide-may-be-responsible-future-half-316388

glyphosate = It is the active ingredient in RoundUp, a product made by Monsanto, which ranks as the number one herbicide worldwide
September 25, 2015
Kman - that is an excellent review. I saw Threads in its singular showing here in the US and have since caught parts of it on Youtube.

I think the difference between it and The Day After is how TDA portrayed America in such a golden light: wide expanses of farmland; small town USA with men gossiping a the barbershop; scrubbed and optimistic college students; the conservative preparation for a wedding. Then, in negative-style images of mushroom clouds, the last shrieks of people in the seconds that it takes to vaporize them, all that is wiped out.

Remembering the movie when it came out, it was a horror, but - today - I see a lot of proganda.

Threads is definitely a movie that twists your gut with revulsion. I see it as a true depiction and attempt to warn.
September 25, 2015
I remember writing a report about the day after when I was about 13. I also remember the bleakness of it but then again at that age I really didn't know much, naive, yanno?

I will definitely be trying to find Threads and watch it.

My personal opinion about the rise in autism, and I am by no means an expert, but when I was growing up we didn't have "new" anything. Very few people did, in the early 1970s. We usually had used or previously used by our older siblings things for our nurseries.

Now it seems like today everything for baby has to be new new new. New car, new bassinet, new car seat, new toys, etc. And all of its plastic. That new car smell? I don't know the term for it but I would think that that new car smell in everything would affect a young child's neural development. Hence, autism explosion in ALL socio economic cases, especially in first world countries, like US. Because even if you're poor and you have a baby some agency is going to give you all that new stuff. Just think about it.

September 25, 2015
Threads is the only movie that has ever left me shaken. Strangely, it didn't affect my husband in the same way, but I tend to worry about the future more than he does. I think those born after 1985 don't really understand, because I grew up thinking the Russians would bomb us before my 18th birthday. It's a weird fear that a subset of Generation X had to grow up with.

This is pure paranoia talking but I always wondered if the rise of autism was part of a Communist plot to destroy the US from within, like the rumors that the Commies put fluoride in drinking water to turn people homosexual. I never believed it but it's entertaining to think about.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
September 26, 2015
Dorisan
Kman - that is an excellent review. I saw Threads in its singular showing here in the US and have since caught parts of it on Youtube.

I think the difference between it and The Day After is how TDA portrayed America in such a golden light: wide expanses of farmland; small town USA with men gossiping a the barbershop; scrubbed and optimistic college students; the conservative preparation for a wedding. Then, in negative-style images of mushroom clouds, the last shrieks of people in the seconds that it takes to vaporize them, all that is wiped out.

Remembering the movie when it came out, it was a horror, but - today - I see a lot of proganda.

Threads is definitely a movie that twists your gut with revulsion. I see it as a true depiction and attempt to warn.

I remember The Day After being a made for television movie... was it in theatres too?

Anyway, TDA was damn scary if you ask me. Anyway... I don't see the propaganda angle as much as you do, I guess. The US, generally, is a good place with good people. And the heartland is in fact filled with lots of small towns and wide expanses of farmland.

TDA left a lot of us feeling like we should do everything we can not to press the red button rather than to press it.
September 26, 2015
Miss_Hannigan
Threads is the only movie that has ever left me shaken. Strangely, it didn't affect my husband in the same way, but I tend to worry about the future more than he does. I think those born after 1985 don't really understand, because I grew up thinking the Russians would bomb us before my 18th birthday. It's a weird fear that a subset of Generation X had to grow up with.

This is pure paranoia talking but I always wondered if the rise of autism was part of a Communist plot to destroy the US from within, like the rumors that the Commies put fluoride in drinking water to turn people homosexual. I never believed it but it's entertaining to think about.

You're a victim of the capitalist propaganda. Russians never did anything. As for flouride, capitalists were the ones who mounted a campaign to re-brand it as healthy, in order to avoid paying for its disposal, AND be able to charge people for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" ... what's one more once you've already got two shedding on the couch?"
I was in High School when TDA came out. I recall even back then, the show got a lot of scathing reviews for being too optimistic , and the separated hero and heroine reuniting in a hospital was especially mocked.

As for Threads, I've never seen it: But unless the weaponry used in the film is something way different than what was tested on Bikini Atoll and the deserts of the USA, and used on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I cannot see why it would cause human de evolution. The victims in those Japanese cities saw terrible radiation burns and a spike in certain forms of cancer , but nothing like mass severe autism in children or the descendants of the original survivors. Actually, it sounds like the filmmakers were inspired more by the fictional Planet of the Apes movies (ie trying to account for the far-future human degradation and muteness) than the effects of actual nuclear weapons.

As for autism : Better testing, so autistics can be distinguished from those who were once all lumped together as "the feeble-minded" . People putting off having kids till they're older (both egg and sperm degenerate ). Silicon valley is known to be a 'hot spot' for high functioning autistics; maybe HFA is being positively selected as people (the men especially)with this condition are often high earners in Silicon Valley. Probably multiple chemical interactions. Maybe it's the additives in our food and drink and toiletries and household cleaners and God knows what else. Marie Winn has done a whole shelf of books on the subject of what passively watching television does to childhood brain development, including ability to imagine, to reason, to experience empathy , and to connect with other people.Lots of possible causes, probably they all are partially to blame and there's probably more causes we've yet to suspect or even imagine.
September 26, 2015
StudioFiftyFour
Dorisan

I remember The Day After being a made for television movie... was it in theatres too?

Anyway, TDA was damn scary if you ask me. Anyway... I don't see the propaganda angle as much as you do, I guess. The US, generally, is a good place with good people. And the heartland is in fact filled with lots of small towns and wide expanses of farmland.

TDA left a lot of us feeling like we should do everything we can not to press the red button rather than to press it.

Ohhh, you do not have to tell me about the heartland and small towns. Fifth generation Midwesterner, several lines of my ancestors were the first to break soil in that part of the country after the Native Americans were driven out/wiped out.

Comparing "Threads" to "The Day After," I felt that "Threads" was more ... ghoulish, but inevitably that made it seem more real. People set ablaze by the bomb blasts, a cat dissolving from the heat, effects of radiation poisoning .... There was another, shorter, film made by the British 20 years earlier that was similar in not pulling away from reality - The War Game A scene that stood out for me was that people suffering from the effects of radiation poisoning were given mercy - simply laid out on the ground and shot.

And TDA being propaganda - yes. Keep in mind the era. The 1980s were particularly hawkish, under the Reagan years (Star Wars Defense System), and television reflected that.

Amerika - 1987 -- boy, that miniseries pissed off a lot of people

World War III - 1982

Countdown to Looking Glass - 1984

The Day After - 1983

Looking back, it's interesting that the 80s was the decade of the Cold War coming to an end, the Berlin Wall being brought down, glasnost and perestroika, yet there was a surge in broadcasting to remind us that the Russians and communism were threats. And like Miss Hannigan said, anyone born after that time will never really understand the fear that hovered over the adult population at that time. I was a child who learned "duck and cover" in school. Now, goodness, talk about a ridiculous exercise. I don't remember if anyone ever pointed out, at that time, just how futile such a move would be, we just blindly followed the teacher's orders and were scared shitless.
September 26, 2015
Dorisan

Looking back, it's interesting that the 80s was the decade of the Cold War coming to an end, the Berlin Wall being brought down, glasnost and perestroika, yet there was a surge in broadcasting to remind us that the Russians and communism were threats. And like Miss Hannigan said, anyone born after that time will never really understand the fear that hovered over the adult population at that time. I was a child who learned "duck and cover" in school. Now, goodness, talk about a ridiculous exercise. I don't remember if anyone ever pointed out, at that time, just how futile such a move would be, we just blindly followed the teacher's orders and were scared shitless.

Wait a second... so you're telling me that crouching under my dining room table won't spare me from a nuclear blast?!?

FUCK!!!!

winking smiley
September 26, 2015
StudioFiftyFour
Dorisan

Wait a second... so you're telling me that crouching under my dining room table won't spare me from a nuclear blast?!?

FUCK!!!!

winking smiley

Well, Bert assured us that it would tongue sticking out smiley

Video

And, according to Indiana Jones, you'd be safe in a fridge

Video
September 26, 2015
ex lurker
I was in High School when TDA came out. I recall even back then, the show got a lot of scathing reviews for being too optimistic , and the separated hero and heroine reuniting in a hospital was especially mocked.

As for Threads, I've never seen it: But unless the weaponry used in the film is something way different than what was tested on Bikini Atoll and the deserts of the USA, and used on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I cannot see why it would cause human de evolution. The victims in those Japanese cities saw terrible radiation burns and a spike in certain forms of cancer , but nothing like mass severe autism in children or the descendants of the original survivors. Actually, it sounds like the filmmakers were inspired more by the fictional Planet of the Apes movies (ie trying to account for the far-future human degradation and muteness) than the effects of actual nuclear weapons.

Ehhh, if you have the stomach, watch Threads. We're talking about the annihilation of a country's population, the collapse of gov't (memory is sketchy, maybe someone can provide details, but I think the movie showed a local council become trapped in the bomb shelter and starve to death) and a nuclear winter that caused those who survived to have extremely arduous lives.
September 26, 2015
mrs. chinaski
"That raises a profound question: could there be something in the environment that is triggering autism?"

-> there are scientists who say that autism is triggered by glyphosate.

http://naturalsociety.com/mit-scientist-glyphosate-to-cause-autism-in-50-of-children-by-2025/

chart:
http://www.medicaldaily.com/autism-rates-increase-2025-glyphosate-herbicide-may-be-responsible-future-half-316388

glyphosate = It is the active ingredient in RoundUp, a product made by Monsanto, which ranks as the number one herbicide worldwide

THIS WOULD NOT SURPRISE ME! Good ol' Monsanto: makers of Agent Orange, which has killed Vietnam Vets, (and is killing my ex boyfriends dad, who is on permanent kidney dialysis because of it. not to mention the Vietnamese people!) and Posilac, the artificial Bovine Growth Hormone given to cows to boost milk production.

Evan Davis
September 26, 2015
My first viewing of Threads happened a couple of years ago on Youtube. There was an upload of the entire film within one video. That film and the fact the world in reality is going down the shitter has me feeling tense a lot. sad smiley
September 26, 2015
Oh these kinds of topics are most interesting to me!

And I did study Physics and Eng (Mechanical) at school. I quit that at the 'practical' level. I chose Biz for grad school, I have to work to survive and I like money and nice things smiling smiley

Plus - I didn't want to wind up working for Tehs Gubmints.

I did work as an Engineer for ~ + /- 10 years? I had 7 years of school for that so - that too. I am now still involved in 'tech stuff' - more from a biz rather than design end. I never did any kind of work for 'gov' or things like that either. Just designed 'regular stuff' or the machinery involved.

I don't want to go into long boring stuff. I hope that does suffice. Do you want me to start talking about cars? Because I will - if you need more explanation ~
grinning smiley

And oddly - for studying / working in related things - I have never seen either of these films.

And IMO an "Apocalyptic" Nuclear War won't happen.

People have too much to lose.

Also - I buy and sell metals now (and plastics! Call US 24/7 for ALL your metal and plastic needs! Source and ship world wide.) - Anyway, LOL, just the common stuff, some obscure things here and there, nothing overly weird. But I know of the following because I have to constantly watch all markets and do constant research -
Long story short - we have already passed 'Peak Uranium'.

There's no where near enough out there, the usable kind - to launch Armageddon. So you can relax! Seriously.

And there's plenty of spent crap around - but that would take a great deal of refining to get it useful, if it would even work at all.

Sure, someone could shove the 'spent' into some kind of a 'dirty bomb' - but (I'm guessing) what would be released from such a thing would be confined close to the impact area.

Not a whole lot of 'fissionable' Uranium out there. And most of the 'old bombs' - pretty much 'won't work'. Stuff 'ages' and 'goes bad'.

I, personally do not fear any Nuclear Armageddon scenario.

And OH MY are there SO MANY OTHER THINGS! To FEAR! the finger smiley

Bio Weapons. Accidental release there of. "Natural" mutations of viruses, disease. Extreme 'weather events'. Asteroid collisions ~

But then think about this too -

We are not stupid - IMO if something "really bad" happened - at worst we'd drop back to like a "Medieval Level" existence.

And probably not even that.

Chances are - a 'serious bad event' will not be global. It would be local, and even if it covers a large area - others will come to help.

Yes - grids can and will go down. This happens *all the time* here - major US metro area (Chicago). Here in my "neighborhood" - it's "Vintage" - everything's about 100 years old including the Tin cans and string which make up the phone / internet system. EYEROLL.

You can 'bypass' these things. I am 'bypassed' right now. I'm on the neighbor's wifi, ha (they let me.) That - is some 'network' - the H is an IT guy, I don't know. They have their 'network' that bypasses some -

I don't know. I don't know too much on these things. It bypasses some - hub? or - switch? that is 'down the street' that 'fails' with any - the local grid failures?
I'm not sure how this all works. Point - These people - *did this*. So - this might be a useful skill for The Apocalypse, I guess.

You can get electric up (generator, I have a gas one) - to run your basic appliances. If 'The Grid' - is 'out' - even the local grid in your area - sorry, no - you won't be getting net or cell phone. (One of my - 'things I'd like to learn more about' - things - what about satellite? )

The right kind of EMP happens / is deployed - Oh, you think you're driving? Sorry - you're not going anywhere. Your vehicle's electronics no longer work, you won't be driving anything, anywhere. Yeah probably even some of the 'oldies' - even simple starter motors won't work. Not sure of all the particulars of it, just the 'overall' - which is - bad EMP - vehicles no worky. So for the fearful 'Survivalist' types - this may be a skill - mod / adapt vehicles - that will be in demand.

IMO it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY that any of these things will happen. A 'bad thing' will likely be 'local' as well - and others will come to help.

World wide 'disaster'? Is unlikely. IMO from Nukes or huge war, anyway. A "Natural Disaster" - be it 'geo physical' or 'bio' - including a sweeping plague that 'just happens' - is not related to any type of 'war' ~

I think THESE type of events are far more likely to happen.

And let's hope they don't happen all at once.

As far as Autism and various other 'sick people' -
IMO there's all sorts of OTHER POLLUTANTS that need to be looked at as well.

US Peeps - you can look up your state's EPA 'pollution maps'. Just Google 'Your State and EPA' and go from there. Sim applies to *most* people world wide. (Do not get me started here.)

My point being - it's likely NOT - a future war, nor even 'old nuke fallout' - it may be seeping up from the ground people dwell upon ~

Which is far less shocking or - media worthy? It lacks the Pizzazz. And - who said things will not go out with a 'bang' but a 'whimper'?

And many of these 'scare tactics' might also be 'look over there' tactics. I will guess that no one is going to be held responsible for something that happened 70 years ago. Yep, brush it off on that and you don't have to explain that filth lying under there that came from something unrelated / your dumping with abandon 20 years ago.

I think about all these things, and all related issues, a great deal. I could go on and on, but much does get quite tedious.
And I am not some kind of "Scientist", I am not a 'high level' person, I do think I am reasonably educated, understand most of the practical apps, and have to of course keep my eye on it all for work purposes. And me - I do not fear any of these "Far Our Apocalyptic" scenarios. I don't worry about such things myself, anyway.

In 'these parts' - you're far more likely to be taken out by some idiot in traffic. The traffic here is stupefyingly bad. I'm NOT exaggerating. You are literally taking your life in your hands ~
Such daily stress maybe takes the mind off worse scenarios?

I do not worry for War Apocalypse, anyway.

How about this? - What if the Sun explodes?
We're ALL done then! You'll have about 3 or 4 days ~

And consider this - not to encourage anything and I surely do not mean to be a "Downer" - but what IF something REALLY BAD - like seriously 'over the top' - did happen - which I myself am not really seeing - but - what if it did?

Well - you can always kill yourself -
Again, not trying to be negative here.
Point is - if it's SO BAD - you DON'T have to stick around for it -
Like leaving a crappy movie or party ~
SO BAD? - Well, you can leave ~

Anyway - this mixed bag of thoughts is why I don't worry about these things.
September 26, 2015
First it was the commies, then it was the Muslims. I hate to say it, but the Western world needs to have a boogeyman to keep going. It's been that way since the Dark Ages with everyone thinking everyone else was a witch.
September 27, 2015
I never watched any of those movies but I do remember that constant fear of nuclear war. There was even an article about it a few months ago talking about it as sort of a thing for people of a certain age (which I guess would be my age and Miss H's as well). I was think I'll avoid this movie; I still recall how I felt after reading A Canticle for Lebowitz as a child.
September 27, 2015
addiea raine
First it was the commies, then it was the Muslims. I hate to say it, but the Western world needs to have a boogeyman to keep going. It's been that way since the Dark Ages with everyone thinking everyone else was a witch.

The world was a gnat's breadth away from nuclear war in the Cuban Missile Crisis of '62, and what's going on in the middle east right now with ISIS is pretty scary, too. Hardly "boogeyman" type stuff.

I also don't discount North Korea and their penchant for insanity.

The world is a scary place, and I don't dismiss the idea that future acts of war and destruction are quite possible with the lunatic leaders of certain nations and terrorist groups.
September 27, 2015
@ pitbullgirl1965: I didn't know that Monsanto developed Agent Orange.....:-(

A study from 2013 states that glyphosate causes gastrointestinal disorders, obesity,
diabetes, heart disease, depression, autism, infertility, cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/15/4/1416

I think that soon or later the environmental poisoning will become an issue
(not only due to glyphosate).
September 27, 2015
StudioFiftyFour
addiea raine

The world was a gnat's breadth away from nuclear war in the Cuban Missile Crisis of '62, and what's going on in the middle east right now with ISIS is pretty scary, too. Hardly "boogeyman" type stuff.

I also don't discount North Korea and their penchant for insanity.

The world is a scary place, and I don't dismiss the idea that future acts of war and destruction are quite possible with the lunatic leaders of certain nations and terrorist groups.

Oh I don't dismiss it, but I think it gets to the point that whenever there is something slightly unpleasant the leaders pull out these threats just to keep the masses in line. I remember the 80's where everyone was a spy, every movie involved a spy from Russia. Even the kid movies was full of that. Now it's everyone from the Middle East is a threat, they are building bombs right here in the states. Should we be aware? Yes. But the way the government harps on it, these are the boogeyman for today's kids.
September 28, 2015

I was a child who learned "duck and cover" in school. Now, goodness, talk about a ridiculous exercise. I don't remember if anyone ever pointed out, at that time, just how futile such a move would be, we just blindly followed the teacher's orders and were scared shitless.

My older sisters came home from school after they did the 'duck and cover' drill. Dad, AKA Mr. Sunshine said, "Don't worry girls, if the bomb went off you'll be incinerated immediately." Not very reassuring, albeit true.

I was born in 1960, just too old to be considered a Gen-xer, but I think it's obvious that a lot of the 'slacker' mentality was a result of spending our childhoods terrorized by the fear of nuclear war. Why hold to old traditions? Why plan for a future that you don't believe will happen?
September 30, 2015
yurble
I never watched any of those movies but I do remember that constant fear of nuclear war. There was even an article about it a few months ago talking about it as sort of a thing for people of a certain age (which I guess would be my age and Miss H's as well). I was think I'll avoid this movie; I still recall how I felt after reading A Canticle for Lebowitz as a child.

OMG, I'm working my way through Canticle for Leibowitz! I didn't think anyone read that anymore. Crazy stuff. Alas, I set it aside for "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clark, as SyFy is making that into a 6 epi miniseries this November.

I always remember the "cold war" years I grew up in during the 80's and the notion that a vote in the presidential election for Jimmy Carter meant the hostages wouldn't be freed (because it was perceived that Carter was "weak"), but a vote for Ronald Reagan meant there might be a heavier hand on the "big red button". I also remember the "fear" of the "godless communists" and my sister telling me that if the russians/soviets invaded, they would put a gun to my head and ask if I believed in Jebus and if I said "yes" that they'd kill me right then and there. Sister denies this, but it's the kind of thing one doesn't forget.

September 30, 2015
JoJo

I was a child who learned "duck and cover" in school. Now, goodness, talk about a ridiculous exercise. I don't remember if anyone ever pointed out, at that time, just how futile such a move would be, we just blindly followed the teacher's orders and were scared shitless.

My older sisters came home from school after they did the 'duck and cover' drill. Dad, AKA Mr. Sunshine said, "Don't worry girls, if the bomb went off you'll be incinerated immediately." Not very reassuring, albeit true.

I was born in 1960, just too old to be considered a Gen-xer, but I think it's obvious that a lot of the 'slacker' mentality was a result of spending our childhoods terrorized by the fear of nuclear war. Why hold to old traditions? Why plan for a future that you don't believe will happen?

Yeah, I was born in 1965, and I remember being terrified of nuclear war. It's hard to explain to someone who didn't grow up in that era.

Evan Davis
September 30, 2015
addiea raine

YES. Fucking A ain't that the truth. Anything to keep the MIC complex churning away.

Evan Davis
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login