Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Expectations of a 1950's Housewife

Posted by creativelycf 
November 14, 2015
I came across this online while reading another article that has recently been discussed here. I apologize if this has been posted before.

I know it was a different era, where women really had no rights. The 'man of the house' was the breadwinner and he would go off to work whilst the woman stayed home, cared for the children and minded the house. I.e. be subservient to their man.

Now days, this wouldn't fly. Yet there are still some egotistic men out there that think they are better than women and this is how they want to treat their gf's / wives.

Opinions? Thoughts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They are having children for selfish and narcissistic reasons, or are simply irresponsible. Funny... Those are the terms often used to describe the CF

~Live, Laugh, Love~
Re: Expectations of a 1950's Housewife
November 14, 2015
Well the hat was cool, the rest ummm no.

One of the reasons I enjoyed "Mad Men" so much was because of the way it showed the other side of that fantasy. Kind of hard to believe that those were halcyon days for women when you saw characters like Betty Draper.
November 14, 2015
Looks like an ad right out of "Ozzie and Harriet."
November 14, 2015
Well, the men they're talking about certainly made more money than Maybe-Baby-Daddy of the Week, so... yeah, it would pay to be nice to this man. He takes care of you, and for the money he makes, without modern conveniences, his day probably was crap. If something needed organized, it was a hellish affair, you didn't just type it it and it did it for you, for one.
Having said that, I'm sure there was drunkards and cheaters that should have had their integrity questioned, and he should have more respect for the woman who raises his kids (and keeps them quiet when he's home, to boot) than to come home late, and never be questioned.

Today? Well, houses are chaos; filthy, uncomfortable, kids run away from home, the dad doesn't want to come home, and, well, social stigmas like this would fix all that. There would be less welfare whores if they could keep a house. And there'd be more money if jobs were worth a damn.
November 14, 2015
creativelycf
Now days, this wouldn't fly. Yet there are still some egotistic men out there that think they are better than women and this is how they want to treat their gf's / wives.

People should be able to live in whatever arrangement suits them. If they want to live in a role as a submissive wife or husband, fine. If they want more of a 50/50 split of the chores, fine. If they want to be a SAHM while the husband works and brings home a lot of money, fine. If they want to live at separate residences alone, fine. If they want to be single and unconnected with partner(s), fine.

For me personally, I don't think it is unreasonable to have certain expectations of any romantic partner who lives in your home and brings in absolutely $0 in income. I don't think it's egotistical, at all, for a man to have expectations of a wife who is essentially voluntarily unemployed.

The man has every right to expect...

That the home should be clean.

That the laundry should be done, and dry cleaning as well.

That the meals should be made, at home, from scratch, and be healthy.

Some SAHMs do all of these things, and do them well. Others are mere moochers. Their homes are pigstyes, they expect their breadwinner husbands to help with things that they could have been doing during the day, and "dinner" is often times whatever they can grab at the local fast food shack.

And the same goes if the roles are reversed. If the wife is out all day earning a living, the husband should be doing the household chores.

There's nothing wrong with wishing for a life of leisure, but expecting your partner to break his/her back to provide that lifestyle, is unreasonable.
November 14, 2015
StudioFiftyFour
creativelycf

People should be able to live in whatever arrangement suits them. If they want to live in a role as a submissive wife or husband, fine. If they want more of a 50/50 split of the chores, fine. If they want to be a SAHM while the husband works and brings home a lot of money, fine. If they want to live at separate residences alone, fine. If they want to be single and unconnected with partner(s), fine.

For me personally, I don't think it is unreasonable to have certain expectations of any romantic partner who lives in your home and brings in absolutely $0 in income. I don't think it's egotistical, at all, for a man to have expectations of a wife who is essentially voluntarily unemployed.

The man has every right to expect...

That the home should be clean.

That the laundry should be done, and dry cleaning as well.

That the meals should be made, at home, from scratch, and be healthy.

Some SAHMs do all of these things, and do them well. Others are mere moochers. Their homes are pigstyes, they expect their breadwinner husbands to help with things that they could have been doing during the day, and "dinner" is often times whatever they can grab at the local fast food shack.

And the same goes if the roles are reversed. If the wife is out all day earning a living, the husband should be doing the household chores.

There's nothing wrong with wishing for a life of leisure, but expecting your partner to break his/her back to provide that lifestyle, is unreasonable.

Agreed for the most part, however I dont agree when the article says "his problems are more important than yours" and to not question him if he doesn't come home, I dont think its acceptable to stay out all night without notice when your partner made dinner for you.
November 14, 2015
ladybug2203

Agreed for the most part, however I dont agree when the article says "his problems are more important than yours" and to not question him if he doesn't come home, I dont think its acceptable to stay out all night without notice when your partner made dinner for you.

Well if you're a SAHM, and in good health, his problems (meaning work problems) actually are more important than yours. Without his job, both of you are screwed.

I too don't believe anyone should stay out all night without notice. That seems rather absurd, actually, and counter to the "family man" image that was promoted during the 1950s.

But overall, I do believe that people should have free will to enter or leave whatever living arrangement they want. If it's a couple they should set mutual expectations up front.
November 14, 2015
StudioFiftyFour
ladybug2203

Well if you're a SAHM, and in good health, his problems (meaning work problems) actually are more important than yours. Without his job, both of you are screwed.

I too don't believe anyone should stay out all night without notice. That seems rather absurd, actually, and counter to the "family man" image that was promoted during the 1950s.

But overall, I do believe that people should have free will to enter or leave whatever living arrangement they want. If it's a couple they should set mutual expectations up front.

Point taken, but I think that article meant it in a male superiority context. As for the article, if I had a partner id have no qualms about doing nice things and making them feel comfortable when they got home. If I was staying at home id keep the house clean, comfortable, and cook them meals, its called being a good partner! However I disagree with the context that its only womans work, whomever is the stay at home partner (if there is one) ought to take care of the home.
November 15, 2015
Fwiw, I am totally being Peggy Bundy right now. I can't remember the last time I cooked a huge meal but our oven is broken, so I have a little bit of an excuse. I joke around with my husband about what a terrible wife I am especially since he's diabetic. But I've been working for the past four years pretty much without a vacation, so the housework has slid buy a bit.

But its not like we have 3 kids or anything so who cares?
November 15, 2015
I am an unintentional SAHW.

I don't agree with the following rules:

10.) You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time.
Let him talk first — remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
-> I agree with the first part only. I don't get why his topics should be more important than mine.

14.) Don’t complain if he’s late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night.
Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.
-> I would complain if DH were out of house without informing me.
There is no excuse for it especially in the era of mobile phones.

17.) Don’t ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment of integrity.
Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will
with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.
-> WTF?

18.) A good wife always knows her place.
-> This is true. I would like to add that a good husband should know his place too.
November 15, 2015
ladybug2203

Point taken, but I think that article meant it in a male superiority context. As for the article, if I had a partner id have no qualms about doing nice things and making them feel comfortable when they got home. If I was staying at home id keep the house clean, comfortable, and cook them meals, its called being a good partner! However I disagree with the context that its only womans work, whomever is the stay at home partner (if there is one) ought to take care of the home.

I'm with you. I do all kinds of housework and when I was single, I did all of it exclusively. Your description would work for me, too, though I don't see myself ever voluntarily staying at home full time.

How other people choose to live is of no concern to me. If they want a superior male in the home, that's fine. If they want a superior woman, that's fine too. Gay? No problem, live together. Single? That's fine with me. Poly-amorous? Not my cup of tea, but go for it.

When I read, "Isn't it ridiculous that some people live this way?!? GRRR!," it's very odd. It strikes me as hugely intolerant and controlling. As long as all parties are consenting adults and no one is being forced to do something against their will, what's the problem exactly? confused smiley
November 15, 2015
Don't complain if he's out all night fucking his secretary. After all, he's had a hard day and fucking his secretary helps him blow off steam. Be sure not to be a bother if he brings home an STD and gives it to you.eye popping smiley
November 15, 2015
I seen this whole thing as submissiveness.. I guess that's because of a situation that happened in my life that I was able to get out of. I realized that I don't like living with other people and that if it is expected of you, they will use you to their benefit and full advantage.

Now I am living alone and I am better off. I keep my house clean to the way I want it. I love how I can walk into a room and not be greeted by tons of clutter so much so that you can not see the baseboards and / or floor. Unlike where I was living...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They are having children for selfish and narcissistic reasons, or are simply irresponsible. Funny... Those are the terms often used to describe the CF

~Live, Laugh, Love~
November 15, 2015
I'm in the minority. If you are going to be a stay at home moo/duhd, the least you can do is:
- make sure the house is clean
- dinner is ready
- keep the kids quiet
- and not nag until after the other settles in

If you are going to stay home, you should at least make it livable for everyone.
November 16, 2015
That "list" is a well known hoax.

See http://www.snopes.com/history/document/goodwife.asp for the details.
November 17, 2015
The list is a hoax but most of it is reasonable if we're talking about stay-at-home moos. But I'm surprised how fast the commenters were to rip one commenter a new one when she said that her mom didn't work. It's obvious that she meant her mom didn't have a job but they are on her like she said her mom was a lazy ass bitch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login