Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Super lice" outbreaks in half of the United States

Posted by Cambion 
"Super lice" outbreaks in half of the United States
March 02, 2016
Ohhhhhh goody.
http://www.people.com/article/super-lice-treatment-resistant-what-you-need-to-know

From what I understand, these super lice are not actually news, as their existence has been covered since 2014 or 2015, but apparently they've made news again more recently because their presence is spreading. The reason for the name is that these particular lice are resistant to common over-the-counter lice treatments and require a prescription treatment.

It doesn't surprise me that lice have mutated to become resistant to normal treatments, what with all the bullshit I've seen where schools allow lice-infested brats to continue coming to class so they don't feel discriminated against/singled out or miss out on educational time, meaning that they can easily pass their parasites to other students. You stick two dozen grimy little urchins with heads full of bugs in the same room and they will pass their lice around. Not to mention there are also parents who refuse to treat their brats' head lice, meaning that if these kids spread lice to other students whose parents actually give a shit, they'll just get lice again when they go back to school anyway.

Just another reason to avoid brats and breeders in public. You never know what ones are crawling with lice, especially this new breed of treatment-resistant ones.
Re: "Super lice" outbreaks in half of the United States
March 03, 2016
Ewwwwww!

I notice that the most recent comment on there is a "Mom of 7" telling you what to do. And then right below that another commenter suggests other things and the Moo of 7 responds to them by saying "That's a lie from the pit of Hell."

Well, I guess that's a good response based on solid reasoning.

Ever feel like you need to go around in public in full HAZMAT gear?
March 03, 2016
Yeah, there is always something to look forward to :-D

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-29785691

Russians say that young people should stop taking selfies in order
to avoid catching lice.
March 03, 2016
Cambion
Ohhhhhh goody.
http://www.people.com/article/super-lice-treatment-resistant-what-you-need-to-know

From what I understand, these super lice are not actually news, as their existence has been covered since 2014 or 2015, but apparently they've made news again more recently because their presence is spreading. The reason for the name is that these particular lice are resistant to common over-the-counter lice treatments and require a prescription treatment.

It doesn't surprise me that lice have mutated to become resistant to normal treatments, what with all the bullshit I've seen where schools allow lice-infested brats to continue coming to class so they don't feel discriminated against/singled out or miss out on educational time, meaning that they can easily pass their parasites to other students. You stick two dozen grimy little urchins with heads full of bugs in the same room and they will pass their lice around. Not to mention there are also parents who refuse to treat their brats' head lice, meaning that if these kids spread lice to other students whose parents actually give a shit, they'll just get lice again when they go back to school anyway.

Just another reason to avoid brats and breeders in public. You never know what ones are crawling with lice, especially this new breed of treatment-resistant ones.

The school my sister's kids go to not only allows the infested kids to keep coming to school, but won't inform the other parents that there are even infected kids in school, which would allow them to catch it quickly in their own kids (this really makes my sister and BIL mad). Can't allow any possibility of anyone figuring out who the little lice spreaders are! Lice was very rare when I was in school because kids that had them couldn't come to school until they were rid of them. No common sense at all anymore, and it HURTS the kids they are trying to protect!
March 03, 2016
They need to make head shaving mandatory for all students with it. Fuck those crumb crunchers' feewings.
March 03, 2016
Life does not tend to protect feelings. I don't know how any of these snowflakes is going to be equipped to handle real problems they might face which require tough decisions, such as losing a body part to disease or having to decide if a loved one should be allowed to die with dignity.
March 03, 2016
crazy old crone
The school my sister's kids go to not only allows the infested kids to keep coming to school, but won't inform the other parents that there are even infected kids in school, which would allow them to catch it quickly in their own kids (this really makes my sister and BIL mad). Can't allow any possibility of anyone figuring out who the little lice spreaders are! Lice was very rare when I was in school because kids that had them couldn't come to school until they were rid of them. No common sense at all anymore, and it HURTS the kids they are trying to protect!

Last direct incident I had with lice was like ... 40 years ago, in junior high. One student was reported to have lice, which meant that everyone in the building, from teachers, to students, to janitors, had to troop through the nurse's office to have their scalps checked. No exceptions were allowed, the vermin was meant to be stamped out.

So .. doesn't lice cause furious itching? Are kids so inured to the prospect of getting lice that seeing a fellow student digging into their scalp doesn't cause them to screech and flee?

I checked a couple of sites and noted that while head lice don't carry other diseases (unlike body lice, which carry typhus) infections can result from sores caused by scratching - particularly in children, who tend to go around with dirty mitts and can cause infections because of bacteria under their nails.

*shudder* I guess lice are just another nasty fact of life, along with dirty diapers, snot and spit-up, that parents become accustomed to almost to the point of indifference. Chalk up another advantage to being CF - one can maintain their fastidious nature.
March 03, 2016
This is one of many reasons why I refuse to have kids. No matter what I would do as a parent, my kids would end up suffering because of shithead breeders and their shitty kids.

And good grief, talk about a good reason to start banning children from public establishments. The last thing any business needs is a superlice outbreak. The bad press and having to shut down and lose revenue for days in order to sanitize the building itself and the employees having to go through treatments could ruin a business.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
March 03, 2016
If they're getting head lice at a near epidemic level then body lice are likely to follow.

http://www.healthline.com/health/body-lice#Overview1

"...There are three types of lice that infest humans:

body louse (Pediculus humanus corporis)
head louse (Pediculus humanus capitis)
pubic louse (Pthirus pubis..."

So they are all in the same famblee, The magnified photo of a louse made me itch all over, eewwwwww.

"..A body lice infestation is normally treated through improved personal hygiene and regular changes of clean, washed clothing...." NASTY

"...Body lice usually infest people who aren’t able to bathe or change clothes regularly. Good personal hygiene and changing into clean clothes at least once a week should be enough to prevent body lice infestation...."Aren't able to and don't because they're lazy, gross, and nasty are two horses of different colors.

"...Infestations occur worldwide and are spread via close person-to-person contact or through used bed linens, towels, and clothing. In general, infestations of body lice are limited to people who live in unhygienic or crowded conditions and who don’t have access to clean clothing...."eye rolling smiley

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
March 03, 2016
I can't imagine the itchy kids can concentrate much on anything. I've never had lice, so I don't know just how bad it gets, but if the itching is anything like poison ivy or chicken pox (both of which I've had), I know it's nigh impossible for the sufferer to focus on anything other than the itching. Every year when I was a kid, we all got checked for lice whether or not it was known that someone had it. All students in all grades were herded down to the nurse's office to get their heads checked for nits, and I imagine anyone who had them got sent home and their parents were told that the kid wasn't allowed back until they were free of lice.

Of course, back then, schools actually gave a damn about the well-being of the student body as a whole rather than catering to the feelings of individual students who would get hurty fee-fees, so kids with any kind of communicable infection or parasite were not allowed back in class until they were cured of whatever the fuck they had. Hell, you'd think students would be thrilled at the prospect of being able to miss school indefinitely. I know I would have been.

I would be sorely tempted to report parents to CPS who refuse to treat their kids' lice. They may not be hurting their kids, but they are neglecting their kids' health by not taking care of a parasitic infestation that I'm sure is affecting the kids' quality of life. Imagine being the parent of a kid who has to share a class with a licey brat whose parents refuse to treat them and your kid brings the lice home. You go through all the hassle of treating the lice in everyone's hair and properly cleaning all the bedding, clothing and the whole damn house to kill all possible nits and eggs (usually this has to be done repeatedly because there will be one or two eggs that you miss that repopulate the house), only for your kid to bring lice back home the very day they come back to class because the unknown source brat spread the parasites to your kid again. I bet some parents would just say "fuck it" after repeated cleanings and treatments and let their kids keep their lice because it's cheaper/easier than spending a fortune constantly getting rid of them.

You don't have to tell people who the licey kids are if privacy is a concern. Just quietly send them home and they can say they got sick, or maybe even that "Mom heard someone in class had lice and kept me home" while they get treated. These new mutant lice are probably the result of good parents repeatedly treating their infested kids because of asshole breeders who refuse to treat their own kids' lice. The bugs simply built up an immunity to the most common treatments
March 03, 2016
Filthy, disgusting beasts!
March 03, 2016
Heh.

Just got off the phone with Older Sister, who has been a beautician for going on 40 years. Since I had this thread up as I was talking to her, I asked "hey, what happens if someone brings a kid in the shop to have their hair cut and the kid has lice?"

Older Sister flatly said "we don't touch 'em."

Me: "really?" I gawked a bit.

OS: "nope. we tell the parent what kind of shampoo to use on the kid and then politely show them the door. And then we nuke the fucking place just in case one hopped off the kid's head."

Me: "ummm ... ever caught flak for that?" (this sounds like it will get entertaining. I wish I was talking to her in person to see the expression on her face.)

OS: "oh sure. we get some parents who scream at us, swearing their kid doesn't have lice, they'll sue the shop .. yap yap yap. I just tell 'em that I've seen thousands of kids come through the shops and know lice when I see it. Better to deal with a screaming parent who doesn't think their kid has lice, or thinks we should just deal with it, than the ones who'll come back and blame us if their kid leaves with it, having picked it up from here. That could ruin us."

I kind of moved on from there. OS was beginning to sound a little furious. I think I might have prompted some bad, or at least very irritating, memories from her. confused smiley
March 03, 2016
Dorisan
Heh.

Just got off the phone with Older Sister, who has been a beautician for going on 40 years. Since I had this thread up as I was talking to her, I asked "hey, what happens if someone brings a kid in the shop to have their hair cut and the kid has lice?"

Older Sister flatly said "we don't touch 'em."

I like her philosophy. A moo/duh with any dignity would bolt if told by a beautician their kyd has lice, assuming they didn't realize their kyd had lice. And what about the kyd, standing there while the moo/duh argues with a stylist? Unless the kyd is really young that has got to be humiliating. A parent with dignity is a rare find in modern times.

I have tons of heavy dense hair and as a kid we had recess and on sunny days my scalp would sweat and sometimes itch. I remember making a conscious effort to try not to touch my scalp because if another kid saw it they would start asking about lice. Kids were that paranoid about it and it was better to just ignore the itching than potentially be in the nurse's office having your scalp checked. Apparently kids/parents no longer care.

Is it just me or does reading about this outbreak make others want to clean their place top to bottom and scrub everything they can that they own?
Yuck!
March 03, 2016
Most parents DO care, and will keep their kid home to treat and remove lice and nits.

The problem is the assholes that don't care. The other parents are pissed as hell about this. Honestly, I wish I could provide the angry parents with the contact info of the lazy parents who can't be bothered to use some Rid or Lice MD. Let them duke it out among themselves.

Cambion...the teachers are pissed about it, trust me. Usually the nice-nice touchy-feeling concern about everyone's fee-fees come from people who are NOT on the front line. There are actually ed codes about grounds for exclusion from class, and some ridiculous areas actually say that lice is no longer considered grounds for exclusion. Fine. Then those kids can sit in the equivalent of ISS and do their work separately so they don't infest the whole school. I think the idiots are arguing that we don't exclude kids for minor things like colds. A cold, however, runs its course and unless the kid's got a compromised immune system they're fine. Lice never, EVER go away. So we need to exclude for lice.
March 03, 2016
I'm glad to hear that hairdressers (or at least your sister, Dorisan) don't take shit from parents. Breeders don't give a single fuck that their brats' head lice could very easily run a salon into the ground if even one client were to leave there with nits. Word spreads faster than lice, and all it takes is someone telling someone that they got head lice during a haircut for that salon to sink like a fucking rock.

randomcfchick
Cambion...the teachers are pissed about it, trust me. Usually the nice-nice touchy-feeling concern about everyone's fee-fees come from people who are NOT on the front line. There are actually ed codes about grounds for exclusion from class, and some ridiculous areas actually say that lice is no longer considered grounds for exclusion. Fine. Then those kids can sit in the equivalent of ISS and do their work separately so they don't infest the whole school. I think the idiots are arguing that we don't exclude kids for minor things like colds. A cold, however, runs its course and unless the kid's got a compromised immune system they're fine. Lice never, EVER go away. So we need to exclude for lice.

Yeah, I figured the whole "include the licey brats" shit was probably something coming from breeder-pleasing administrators and not teachers. After all, the people running the schools aren't in constant contact with sick/germy/infested kids for entire days like the teachers are, so the chance they'll contract something is slim to none. Isolating the lice brats in their own rooms would be great for the parents who insist on sending them to class, but you know that they'd still scream about it because they don't want their brats being "segregated" and "discriminated against." Tards can't even be in their own separate classrooms without breeders throwing fits, so I can imagine the screaming that would ensue if schools tried to keep the infested students away from the non-infested ones.
March 03, 2016
Cambion
I'm glad to hear that hairdressers (or at least your sister, Dorisan) don't take shit from parents. Breeders don't give a single fuck that their brats' head lice could very easily run a salon into the ground if even one client were to leave there with nits.

"Running a Salon into the ground". You're not kidding.

Not a Salon but a mondo swank apartment building I have heard tales about. Won't mention the specific name of it because all I have heard is rumors, and 'friend of friend' stories.
Anyway, this is a pretty nice, and unique / vintage, Art Deco? era? Older (and fairly large) (and fairly locally 'well known') apt. / condo building up on the N. Shore. Where a small flat will cost you at least 300K. Mid range - 600K. The nicest apt's there are even more - 900's. And what I have heard, from numerous people, is that the place is infested with bugs.

And evidently enough now know about this to the point where it's affected the prices there, they have dropped significantly - *because of this issue*.

How'd you like to move into a $$$ apt, a million dollars perhaps even - to find it infested with bugs?
And if it's an ongoing problem, which it does seem to be - good luck selling it.
March 04, 2016
If these breeders had their way, people with HIV would not be barred from donating blood and Typhoid Mary would be free to work as a cook.
As I mentioned before, I am a supervisor of an after-school program. It's a city job, but there are private funds involved, so we still get to make up our own rules.

Anyway, last year some moo tried to bring her lice-infected brat in to another location, not mine thank god, and was promptly shown the door by the supervisor. Then she tried to claim that her child caught it at the center! Once it was pointed out that nobody there had lice other than her kid, she left and never brought that kid back ever again. Since then, and now with this thread, I always look at their heads when I'm walking around the classroom.

The good part about my job is that we have the right to turn away and send home infected brats. When I was still just a worker, someone else tried to make their kid come in with pink-eye. That kid wasn't even allowed in through the front door and my supervisor told moo do not bring that kid in until it is gone, which she did.

A couple of weeks ago, a pair of siblings came in coughing up a lung to the point where one vomited. Their breeders knew they were sick and sent them in anyway for a few hours of free babysitting. Well, I wasn't having that shit. I called the moo and she told me she couldn't leave the house because of the "baby." The "baby" was their 4 year old other sibling. Then, she had the nerve to ask me to take the kids home for her! It was only a couple of blocks from there. I told her that I was not allowed to leave the center or even do that, which I am not. First of all, I cannot leave the other children unattended with untrained workers, and second, that would put me in a situation where I would be alone with the kids, something that was drilled into my head from day one from management to never do. Not that I needed anyone to tell me that, I have the sense to never be left alone with any kid.

The duh was working (shocker, I know), so he couldn't come. So, I called every contact until some aunt came and picked them both up. They didn't come back for a week, I was hoping they wouldn't return after that.

So the TL;DR version is, I can send kids home if they come in with lice, or any other contagious illness.
March 04, 2016
^^ I work for a private organization in the summers, and we check every single kid for lice, fever, rash, and sore throat upon arrival. Parents are present for it, and we don't even let them unload their equipment from their car until the kid is checked. If we find lice or nits, the kid and anyone who carpool with them is sent off to take care of the problem. We provide a written note about what needs to be done (treatment, fine-combing, washing everything on hot, etc), and the kid(s) are checked again upon return. I wish I could do the same during the school year. It would be so simple.

We've had some parents throw shit-fits about it, but most are very cool. I've had some even comment that they're glad we do these checks, as their kids have caught lice in similar situations before.

And nobodylikesyourkid, we've had similar things with parents trying to dodge taking care of it...one mom who said she had to be back at work, and couldn't we call Kid's Dad and have him come get her (divorced parents; dad was the one who'd pick her up at the end of the week)? She said this to me as she was starting to slide back toward her car. I radio'd the director, who intercepted her and did an excellent job of telling her exactly how it was. Mom took kid back to town and returned the next day with Kid completely lice-free, no nonsense or anything. I still wonder what exactly the director said to her, but whatever it was, that parent was respectful and didn't give us any shit.
March 04, 2016
randomcfchick
Most parents DO care, and will keep their kid home to treat and remove lice and nits.

Glad to hear this!

randomcfchick
The problem is the assholes that don't care. The other parents are pissed as hell about this. Honestly, I wish I could provide the angry parents with the contact info of the lazy parents who can't be bothered to use some Rid or Lice MD. Let them duke it out among themselves.

Exactly!

randomcfchick

Teachers and responsible parents/kids shouldn't have to deal with this.
A friend of mine's daughter caught lice 3-4 times in one school year from a kid whose parents are assholes. She was mortified and begged to be homeschooled the next year. It shouldn't come to this.
March 04, 2016
freya
Teachers and responsible parents/kids shouldn't have to deal with this.
A friend of mine's daughter caught lice 3-4 times in one school year from a kid whose parents are assholes. She was mortified and begged to be homeschooled the next year. It shouldn't come to this.

No, it shouldn't.

And lice itself isn't a horrible thing that means you have a filthy home with parents who don't care. It's yet another thing that kids can catch from each other, and just like "internal" bugs, the parents need to take care of the problem. That's all.... and just like parents should teach their kids to cover coughs and sneezes, wash their hands, etc to avoid colds they should also teach them not to share hats, outerwear, combs/brushes, and such.

One colleague of mine had to change the way she did seating charts for one year because she knew she was getting a student from a family that had numerous lice outbreaks and Teacher had to devise ways to minimize contact between students. Recurrent lice problems aren't always seen as evidence of neglect by CPS, but Colleague reported it after outbreak 3, just as last year's teacher had.
March 05, 2016
Slightly related: I remember some ignorant "concerned Grandmoo" wrote Doctor Donahue (newspaper advice columnist like Dear Abby but an MD) concerned because her grandkids kept getting head lice and she wanted them to get rid of the cat for the safety of the childrunTM!

Luckily, the guy set GrandMoo straight. Cats and dogs are not hosts for head lice.

ETA: Very good reason not to have kids. I friend's kid also got pinworms. YUCK.

Your average animal is cleaner than your average Breeder.
March 05, 2016
Oh, sweet crispy chocolatey Jesus.

"My seven-year-old daughter is best friends with the girl next door, whose family are vegan. That's fine; we respect their choice and even make special food when little River comes to play. My problem is that recently this otherwise delightful child was at our house and scratching furiously... and I discovered she was crawling with head lice.

I'm pretty easygoing – which kid doesn't get nits every now and then? – and casually mentioned it to her mum thinking she'd jump right on it. To my surprise, this woman said that not only did she know about her daughter's condition but refused to do anything about it. Vegans don't kill any living things, is the reason. My neighbour told me she was in the practice of combing the lice and nits into the garden where they had a chance of survival. My jaw hit the floor.

What do I do now? I don't want to separate the kids but there's no way "combing them into the garden" is going to work (industrial-grade pesticide barely works) and I don't want my daughter covered in vermin."

Nitty Gritty

March 05, 2016
Good grief. The advice is to try "preventive" lice treatment and putting the girl's hair up and hoping it works? Why isn't "Call Child Protective Services on your crazy abusive neighbor" the answer? Doesn't allowing a kid to be perpetually infected with lice fall under the category of abuse? If it doesn't why not? Can't believe the advice columnist doesn't give one whit about the health of infested kid. Even if it doesn't cause disease or anything, she is literally crawling with bugs, constantly; bugs that are biting her scalp. This HAS to be abuse.
March 06, 2016
I always loved the logic of "vegans can't kill living things." I guess the living plants that they kill and consume are exceptions. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Must be the same logic that allows vegetarians to eat fish. Sorry to any vegetarians/vegans here... this is just shit I never understood.

I will never, ever understand any parent that sits there and refuses to treat their child's head lice. Do they not care that their kids are constantly itching, can't really enjoy themselves or concentrate on anything and probably have no friends because no one wants to catch their parasites? Just because lice can't hurt you doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated. I don't know if allowing a child to remain covered with lice indefinitely is considered abuse, but it should at least be considered neglect. If a parent can't even attempt to get off their ass and treat a relatively harmless (but highly irritating) parasitic infestation on their child, then maybe they aren't ready to be adults and be in charge of children.

That vegan lice story is infuriating, and the advice columnist's suggestion is stupid. One, it's not the letter writer's responsibility to take care of some other breeder's licey kid. Second of all, nuking the girl's head to kill off the nits is only going to provide temporary relief because I'm sure the kid's home is infested and she'll just regain a whole new family of nits and eggs the second she gets in her bed. Third, I wouldn't be surprised if her crunchy hippie Moo tried to press charges against the letter writer for trying to rid the kid of lice.

Fuck the kids and whether or not they'd be upset, I'd be telling the lice-humper Moo that her kid isn't allowed to be near the writer's kid because of the lice. Tying hair up is not going to prevent lice either. The best way to prevent them is to not be in contact with people whose heads are fucking infested with lice. If it hurts the kids' peewins, too damn bad. That's the price of prevention.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login