Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not giving Prudence credit. This is an easy one (having a kid so as not to be alone in old age)

Posted by Dorisan 
Still waiting to see if Prudence shows any sense when it comes to being childfree. I think this is an easy one for her. She would totally lose credence if she were to say "absolutely! Birth your own asswiper, it will be the best decision you've ever made!"

Dear Prudence,
My husband and I have been married for three years. I am about to turn 30, and we are discussing the possibility of having children, although we are both leaning no. I have never felt a maternal need for kids, though I would love to have a dog. I have friends with children and while I love playing the part of auntie, I am exhausted after spending a day with them. When I think about kids, I mostly think about the negatives: They are expensive, we won’t be able to travel, and I have a family history of mental illness and some other diseases I would hate to pass down. There is one thing that keeps me from saying “no,” and that is that I am afraid of being alone when I am old and can’t fend for myself. I see my grandmother and have no idea what she would do if it weren’t for my mother and her siblings. I recently visited my old nanny in a state-run nursing home and it left me with nightmares. Should we have a child to make sure someone is there to care for us? Should we look into the Hemlock Society? I should add that I am generally not a strong person and have told my husband many times I pray that I die before he does.

—Don’t Want to Die Alone

I have a lot of sympathy for anyone willing to admit they’re terrified of dying alone. But you should not have children. Raising a child for the sole purpose of creating a future nurse is no reason to start a family. Any child of yours would pretty quickly pick up on the fact that you find them exhausting, expensive, and a burden—things that are true of all children, but in your case would not be balanced by parental love. My guess is that child would not then leap at the chance to provide you with round-the-clock care in your declining years.

You must know on some level that having children does not guarantee anyone a peaceful death. Many people outlive their children. Many people with living, healthy children are still put into nursing homes for a variety of reasons. Having a child now is not insurance that you will be given the kind of death you want. Address your fear about end-of-life care directly by planning ahead. Establish a living will, start a retirement/medical fund that will help pay for private nursing, but don’t bring a child into the world just to alleviate your desire to avoid institutional care. Consider seeing a therapist to confront your (very normal!) concerns about your own mortality and what the end of your life may look like; you owe it to yourself to face these fears head on, rather than try to build a baby escape hatch and run away from them.
I'm actually surprised that there was no "you'll love it when it gets here" BS.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
I am also surprised.
I expected that Prudence will suggest it as an option.
"Only a REAL family will guarantee that you don't die alone..."
I think it's a fake letter. It aligns too closely with the bingo. I think it was written by a CF person who was getting tired of hearing bullshit bingos and thought, "Suppose someone did take the suggestion seriously? I bet even a breeder-brain wouldn't really think it's a good idea when it is put in stark terms as if someone is actually proposing children to avoid loneliness in old age."

I think this letter is actually aimed at the pushy relatives of a CF person, and that those relatives are fans of Pru.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login