Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Books/magazines on investing that don't revolve around children

Posted by freya 
Books/magazines on investing that don't revolve around children
March 21, 2016
Picked up Money magazine yesterday only to be greeted with constant stuff about children and ads for fluff I don't want/need. Apparently there are two different college funds which moos and duhs can save for. I'd prefer not to know that. All the articles are famblee-centric and even the features are always about famblees. My favorite is the ranking of small towns to live in (all famblee friendly, of course!). And while dividends are nice, there are more factors to consider before buying stock.

So, does anyone know of good investing books/magazines/websites with the right kind of content I can use to grow from an ignorant investor to savvy Freya investor? I definitely don't have an investment background but I'd rather read a solid book which is written in layman's terms than have to hear about the presidential primaries, ads designed to prey on the weak and famblees, famblees, famblees. I feel like half the battle with investing is to not let emotions be the guide. The other half is to win the lottery (kidding!)

I plan to start by devoting at least 5 hours a week to studying investing, hoping it is closer to 10-15 hours.
Re: Books/magazines on investing that don't revolve around children
March 29, 2016
Found some books on finance, economics, investing and budgeting:

•Your Money or Your Life (Robin and Domingues)
•The Little Book of Common Sense Investing (Jack Bogle)
•The Richest Man in Babylon (George Samuel Clason)
•Still The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need (Andrew Tobias)
•The Millionaire Next Door (Stanley and Danko)
•Four Pillars of Investing (William Bernstein)
•Where are the Customers' Yachts? (Fred Schwed)
•All your Worth - book on budgeting
A Random Walk down All Street
The Intelligent Investor
Option Pricing and Volatility
Economics in one lesson
Math of financial derivatives: A student intro

Not a fan of David Ramsey as his advice is definitely very famblee specific which doesn't work for singles and some of it I don't consider to be financially sound even from the perspective of a novice. Also located a message board where most of the members (so far) seem to be childless.
March 29, 2016
Early retirement extreme? My husband reads a lot there, but much of it is shit I was forced to do as a child because my parents valued their church donations more than me. It can upset me too much, and I am really not a frivolous spender. He says there's tons of good advice there. He grew up genuinely poor and none of it bothers him.
March 29, 2016
I know of one. Your checkbook!
I like "Rich dad, poor dad" but it's controversial.
http://www.amazon.com/Rich-Dad-Poor-Teach-Middle/dp/B008BUHTLE

I like how he describes the difference between assets and liabilities.
Asset is only something that produces a positive cashflow (shares, rental property...)
Everything else is a liability.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login