Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Parunt your kyds #8364391-and a half

Posted by starlady 
Parunt your kyds #8364391-and a half
June 30, 2016
"IKEA recalls 'deadly dressers' that can kill your kyds" That headline made me ROFL!

Yeah.. IKEA sometimes makes some cheep crap.. but... the dressers don't come to life and kill unless victim is climbing on them. I sure don't remember ever climbing up dresser and cabinet fronts. I know that if I did I got a swat on the butt and a firm dressing down from my parental units.

Some of the comments are the usual drivel.. but when you go down 20 or so... the 'parent your kids' comments start to show up.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/28/ikea-recalls-29-million-dressers-after-6-kids-killed.html

OH.. and now the president of IKEA US is doing public service announcements on all the radio stations I listen to... and on one of the stations.. EVERY 10 MINUTES..I kid you not. Probably trying to avoid a law suit.
Re: Parunt your kyds #8364391-and a half
June 30, 2016
This reminds me of a story. I was covering the customer service associate's lunch. Moo and grandmoo inquired about a recalled crib. I looked up the recall list on the computer. Nothing. The huge problems here was the crib was in storage for 10+ years, the manufacturer is no longer in business, they had no UPC, or box. Management did a lot of research and said yes for the refund. Thankfully they didn't bring it in.

I just began to google this. Many of those cribs have been recalled before the current decade. They waited YEARS to return this. I don't know why they would waste time to return it. I would chalk it up as a loss, throw it away, and move on unless you want a chance of a post natal abortion via drop side crib.

Now that I've been thinking about this, I wonder if they found it at a garage or estate sale and decided they would try to return it for a profit and scam the store.
June 30, 2016
What kind of sentence does a dresser receive for committing a crime?
Does the condition of the dresser bias the sentencing?

Oh wait, dressers don't kill people. Inattentive parents who let their kids treat dressers like jungle gyms are what result in child fatalities.
July 01, 2016
The IKEA recalls Malm dresser in the USA and Canada only.

The dressers should be anchored to the wall like this:
http://www.wohnen-mit-kind.de/2015/07/nicht-nur-die-malm-kommode-an-der-wand-befestigen/
http://www.businessinsider.de/ikea-furniture-can-tip-over-if-not-anchored-to-the-wall-2015-7?r=UK&IR=T

Because the dressers weren't secured, they tipped over.
It's a common knowledge that when you have chyldrun, all your furniture HAS TO be attached to the walls
to prevent accidents. This information is in every assembly instruction.
July 01, 2016
Hummmm..... I don't remember my parents anchoring things to the wall... or locking drawers... or putting childproof shit on things. I DO remember being told NO and getting hands and tushie slapped a few times.

Ofcourse.... my parents furniture was not cheep junk. It was good wood furniture... like I have in my house. I think* I* could climb up some of this stuff and it wouldn't fall over. Maybe these people should just get better furniture and stop using cardboard crap.
July 01, 2016
@ starlady
That's what I forgot to say smiling bouncing smiley
Solid wood furniture doesn't need to be attached to walls.

When we lived in the south, we had an apartment furnished with
this *cardboard crap*. We had to secure wardrobe and shoe cabinet
in the hall even for us adults because everytime one of us opened
the door, it started to tip over grinning smiley
July 01, 2016
Yeah... my hubby sells furniture (for a good furniture company) and so I am so mad when I see this cardboard crap that people try to pass off as furniture. Think all that stuff would be good for is maybe stageing a home for sale. If nobody actually USES it... it looks fine. LOL
July 01, 2016
mrs. chinaski

Because the dressers weren't secured, they tipped over.
It's a common knowledge that when you have chyldrun, all your furniture HAS TO be attached to the walls
to prevent accidents. This information is in every assembly instruction.

That's right. And it's not just IKEA stuff. Any piece of furniture that stands over a certain height but lacks a certain depth is required to be anchored.

I'm a big fan of doing things "to code" in my home. Irresponsible people, these parents included, are big fans of doing things as quickly and cheaply as possible, consequences be damned.
July 01, 2016
I've bought some of that cheap crap, when I was studying, and couldn't find something second-hand. It's not meant to be a permanent part of your life for most people, it's meant to be when you're just starting out. As I could afford it, I upgraded the 70s tragedies and Ikea cardboard to real furniture.

What's this, exhibit #359033 of not being financially secure before breeding?
July 01, 2016
Just another example of parunts not thinking, not following instructions and then expecting the rest of the world to take the blame....

So, what this prez of IKEA US is saying... "don't put (this cheep crap) in a room where your child can get to it." Well.. so... we put the cheep furniture in one room and lock the door. That's real practical.
July 01, 2016
starlady
Hummmm..... I don't remember my parents anchoring things to the wall... or locking drawers... or putting childproof shit on things. I DO remember being told NO and getting hands and tushie slapped a few times.

Ofcourse.... my parents furniture was not cheep junk. It was good wood furniture... like I have in my house. I think* I* could climb up some of this stuff and it wouldn't fall over. Maybe these people should just get better furniture and stop using cardboard crap.

As fat as some of these brats are, I wouldn't count on Mount Everest holding them aloft.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
July 02, 2016
Any tall furniture I've assembled like bookshelves and dressers have always come with an "earthquake strap"--short bit of nylon webbing that attaches to the furniture on one end and the wall on the other. If parents aren't making use of this, tough shit.

If the furniture comes without that strap, such things can be acquired for pennies at the hardware store.

Lazy parents.
July 03, 2016

I am so mad when I see this cardboard crap that people try to pass off as furniture.
Think all that stuff would be good for is maybe stageing a home for sale. If nobody actually USES it... it looks fine. LOL

It can be used but only if you add reinforcing elements EVERYWHERE, like f.e. steel brackets:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/steel-angle-brackets

This furniture is per se an equivalent to Potemkin village smiling bouncing smiley
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potemkin_village
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login