Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3 teens die taking selfie on train tracks

Posted by Miss_Hannigan 
3 teens die taking selfie on train tracks
December 09, 2016
Paging Anna-Marie Stickel...choo-choo!

http://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/selfie-tragedy-12-7-2016.htm?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=postplanner&utm_source=facebook.com

Essa Ricker and Kelsea Webster, both 15, and Kelsea’s little sister, Savannah, waved at a westbound train crew and squeezed in for a selfie as it rolled through Utah’s scenic Spanish Fork Canyon October 2011.

"Standing right by a train ahaha this is awesome!!!!" posted Savannah on Facebook as the train's steel wheels banged along the track's steel rail.

The excitement in the trio's eyes matched their big smiles as the train fanned their blonde hair in the wind while they posed for the selfie—completely unaware of the approaching train coming from the other direction. The train's headlights were visible on the top right side of the photo.

"They were in their own little world," recalled John Anderson, train conductor inside the eastbound Union Pacific train locomotive. Engineer Michael Anderson, no relation to John, blasted the train horn to get the girls' attention. No response. Not even a flinch.

Trains traveling at 55 mph can take more than a mile to come to a complete stop after the emergency brakes are applied. A rush of panic, confusion and fear filled the locomotive as the train raced toward the girls at approximately 39 miles mph.

“We saw them for about 12 seconds until they disappeared from our sight and the train continued moving forward.”

"We watched in horror as we got closer," said John, recalling how both he and Michael yelled as if it might stop what they knew was about to happen. "We saw them for about 12 seconds until they disappeared from our sight and the train continued moving forward."

John raced back when the train finally stopped about a quarter mile down the track. The first girl he saw had no pulse and it was clear a second girl was no longer alive. John heard 13-year-old Savannah near the railroad crossing. She was hurt and agitated, but alive.

"I told her everything would be OK and she relaxed a little," said John, who held Savannah's hand until paramedics arrived. "I hoped she would make it and for some reason I really thought she would."....

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
Re: 3 teens die taking selfie on train tracks
December 09, 2016
this year's Darwin Award winners are...
December 09, 2016
What expert is saying they didn't hear the horn blasting before they died? Unless they are all three deaf, they heard the horn and ignored it. You can't fix stupid.

Because standing by a train is the only way to get the wind in the hair affect. I encourage selfies for this reason especially before the age of 16. Rather they Darwin themselves by standing on train tracks, on the edge of a steep cliff, trying to hug a bear, opening their window to get a photo with a tiger, etc. selfie before they are of driving age. At least this prevents them from potentially hurting or killing other drivers with their texting and selfies in the car. As it is the conductor and engineer have had to suffer because of the teen's stupidity.
December 09, 2016
OF COURSE they heard the horn. They just didn't think it applied to them. Like the guy said, they were completely self-absorbed and giving no thought not only to their own safety, but to the engineer of that train, to anybody who was going to have to clean up the mess, to the people who they involuntarily turned into killers.

it was clear a second girl was no longer alive

Ewwwwww.

Ultimately, though, just a little bleach in the gene pool.
December 09, 2016
bookworm
this year's Darwin Award winners are...

That's what I was going to say, where's the thumbs up emote?

This may sound harsh but if you are too stupid to realize playing on train tracks is a bad idea then you really shouldn't be contributing to the gene pool anyway.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
December 09, 2016
I know I'm going straight to hell for speaking ill of the dead... But if you're so narcissistic and self-absorbed to think it's okay to stand in front of an oncoming train, I'm glad that these geniuses aren't anywhere near reproducing.the world 'fail' on flames
December 09, 2016
nokidsandhappy
I know I'm going straight to hell for speaking ill of the dead... But if you're so narcissistic and self-absorbed to think it's okay to stand in front of an oncoming train, I'm glad that these geniuses aren't anywhere near reproducing.the world 'fail' on flames

I'm "Friends" (definition applied loosely in this circumstance) with a number of 20-something family members on FB. I don't think it means anything to them, I'm just one of the eleventy-hundred names on their Friends list. Anyway, most of their photos are selfies. Selfie of them going through the drive up at Starbucks, selfie of them stuck in traffic, duck face group selfie shot at a club. The husband of one of my nieces has multiple pictures of himself with their kids; all - I mean ALL - of the shots show him not showing affection for his kids, not interacting in any way, merely him looking straight at the camera with a big grin. The kids are props, he's the subject of the photograph.

It's common for the older generation to grump at the younger ones, but there is something truly wrong with these young people. I'm going to join you on that hell-bound journey, nokidsandhappy, because the fewer of them that are able to be parents, the better. They are going to be truly f* up caregivers to the offspring they spawn.
December 09, 2016
Oh god how I hate that duck faced selfie thing.

But back on topic, perhaps we will get some trolls on this thread. That Anna Stickel one was the shit! Too bad it got fried. Hard to believe we don't have an archive for stuff like that

I'm sure that this story will hit my Facebook but sadly I can't post what I feel as DH is in the local media and has a unique last name. I only just got back on FB after a 5 year hiatus and he warned me about watching what I say on public posts. I did change my name by removing his but it still kind of sucks that I have to read so much crap I don't agree with while others spam my feed with trump trash and the like. I'm unfollowing a lot but still.
December 09, 2016
If you do a little internet digging, their relatives were initially trying to spin the story as 3 teens who were taking photographs of the fall scenery when they were tragically struck by the ghost train. But that selfie photo with the train's engine headlight bearing down on them shows the naked truth; it's literally their last known photo.

Luckily, I can comment on this as an adult fortunate enough to have survived stupid decisions in my teen years. But at least I stayed off tracks.

EDIT: newbies can read up n the ol' train/teen connection here on this thread.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
December 09, 2016
Miss_Hannigan
If you do a little internet digging, their relatives were initially trying to spin the story as 3 teens who were taking photographs of the fall scenery when they were tragically struck by the ghost train. But that selfie photo with the train's engine headlight bearing down on them shows the naked truth; it's literally their last known photo.

Luckily, I can comment on this as an adult fortunate enough to have survived stupid decisions in my teen years. But at least I stayed off tracks.

I'm writing a short story and naming it Nightmare on Selfie Street: where a bunch of mostly teens keep offing themselves by stupid behavior driven by selfies. They try to go an entire 24 hours without taking any selfies but many die because the urge to selfie is too overpowering. Then enter in old Anna's ghost, but as it turns out she is benign and just around for cheap thrills, only interested in knocking over condiment stands at fast food joints these teens hang out in throughout the movie.
December 10, 2016
freya
Miss_Hannigan

I'm writing a short story and naming it Nightmare on Selfie Street: where a bunch of mostly teens keep offing themselves by stupid behavior driven by selfies. They try to go an entire 24 hours without taking any selfies but many die because the urge to selfie is too overpowering. Then enter in old Anna's ghost, but as it turns out she is benign and just around for cheap thrills, only interested in knocking over condiment stands at fast food joints these teens hang out in throughout the movie.

I wanna read it! I love me a good dumbass offing themselves story.

"If you do a little internet digging, their relatives were initially trying to spin the story as 3 teens who were taking photographs of the fall scenery when they were tragically struck by the ghost train. But that selfie photo with the train's engine headlight bearing down on them shows the naked truth; it's literally their last known photo."

Oopsies. I guess there will be no green bandaid to slap on the emotional boo boos. I wonder how they'll try and spin this one.
December 10, 2016
THE DEMON TRAIN HAS RETURNED!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
December 10, 2016

Not for the parents who buried three girls with big smiles and bright futures. 

Hahaha, yeah, I don't think these idiots were on their way to curing cancer......or doing anything else productive

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"If you can't feed your baby, then don't have a baby. And don't think maybe, if you can't feed your baby."
- The wisdom of the late Michael Jackson
"The mother of the year should be a sterilized woman with two adopted children." - Paul Ehrlich
December 10, 2016
As a person who has lived near train tracks (in various locales) for about 47 years of my life, you would have to be a total idiot to not recognize the signs of an oncoming train.

- the whole ground shakes before the train is even visible
- they have very bright lights
- they are on very obvious tracks (ie step aside and you are safe)
- crossings are in very limited areas (ie long distance apart)
- crossing are frequently well marked (ie lights, bars, signs, etc)
- they have really loud horns
- trains are frequently very very very large (ie can't be missed visually)

These teens were self-absorbed and not very intelligent.
The world will get along fine without them.
December 10, 2016
Found him!

"The accident that took my daughters' lives was preventable and a good illustration of how close a train can be without hearing it," said Kelsea and Savannah's mother, Jayna Webster. "No one should have to go through this and I hope people will seriously think about the campaign's rail safety message and share it with their loved ones."

No. A train isn't a silent predator that creeps after you on silent paws. A train is a big, loud behemoth that can be heard from a mile away. Especially when it is blowing its horn. Which this one constantly was, because the poor engineer was actively trying to get their attention.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
December 10, 2016
"The accident that took my daughters' lives was preventable..."

You bet your ass it was preventable! Most kids their age know well enough that playing on train tracks is a very stupid thing to do. Most parents teach their kids at a young age that it's not a good idea to run out into the street/play on train tracks/eat laundry pods because... y'know... that shit can get you killed. Yes, I hear you lurking breeders. I'm well aware teens do stupid and reckless shit - some kids at my high school used to play the choking game.
But even they knew where to draw the line.
As stated before, you'd have to be deaf not to hear a train barrelling down on you. I live pretty far from the tracks, but I still hear the trains passing through. So these supposed demon trains that sneak up on poor, innocent teens is bullshit.
And let's face it, putting a fence around train tracks is not going to stop the next dumbass teen from climbing onto them. So this rail safety campaign thing will not do any good. These retards will find other ways to off themselves.
December 10, 2016
@electricfire

Amen!

Some of the first things I learned from my mom {though I don't remember the words or conversations, I just remember being told these things gravely and when I was very young} were not to stand on train tracks, not to touch outlets, not to touch the insides of toasters / ovens or the tops of stoves, and to never take food from.strangers or get into their cars.

You care about your kids you teach them. It's very simple

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
December 11, 2016
I may have to have a child and name it for these dead idiots. And it's name will be......
Roland.
December 11, 2016
Well at least two of them won't have the opportunity to breed, thank God.

I live about a quarter mile from train tracks. I can hear every train that goes by on that track, so I really do not understand how this even happened.Trains are not exactly a quiet event.
December 11, 2016
cassia
As a person who has lived near train tracks (in various locales) for about 47 years of my life, you would have to be a total idiot to not recognize the signs of an oncoming train.

- the whole ground shakes before the train is even visible
- they have very bright lights
- they are on very obvious tracks (ie step aside and you are safe)
- crossings are in very limited areas (ie long distance apart)
- crossing are frequently well marked (ie lights, bars, signs, etc)
- they have really loud horns
- trains are frequently very very very large (ie can't be missed visually)

These teens were self-absorbed and not very intelligent.
The world will get along fine without them.

Agreed, I used to live on a dead end street right next to train tracks and the house itself rattled when the trains passed by. There is just no way you can't hear, feel, or see a big ol' train coming down the tracks, there's plenty of warnings and signals. Unless you're blind drunk and passed out or self absorbed and taking a selfie with your equally foolish friends, that is.
December 11, 2016
wouldn't the first train make so much noise, the other might be harder to notice??

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
December 11, 2016
twocents
wouldn't the first train make so much noise, the other might be harder to notice??

That is why when there are multiple tracks - you ALWAYS assume there is another train, unless you are a frickin' idiot.
December 11, 2016
the noodler
I may have to have a child and name it for these dead idiots. And it's name will be......
Roland.

Correction, not Roland. "Blaine." Sorry bout that. My apologies to Dark Tower/Gunslinger fans.
December 11, 2016
cassia
twocents

That is why when there are multiple tracks - you ALWAYS assume there is another train, unless you are a frickin' idiot.

Not only that, the second train is actually in the damn selfie. It would have been moving on the screen as they were looking at it to take the photo.

December 12, 2016
It's stupid as fuck to play on train tracks no matter what. I saw the occasional person taking photos/watching trains from a safe distance away, but nobody was ever stupid enough to actually go on the tracks. We had cargo, Amtrak , and the occasional circus trains passing through. I kind of miss living there, I got used to the noise. It was when things got too quiet I had difficulty sleeping.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login