Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

In-Flight Follies

Posted by DucorpsToo 
In-Flight Follies
December 28, 2016
Spent a quick Christmas visit to my mom and returned back home today - but not without encountering a somewhat uncontrolled kid ( and entitled mommy) on my return flight.

During boarding, a mother and small child (ca. 3 yo I'm guessing) just so happened to be seated in the row in front of me. Mommy also had a very young infant in tow as well- plus a bag of kiddie crap to boot. Mommy was constantly talking to her kid and allowing her to stand in aisle or fidget in her seat. Before takeoff, the usual announcement was made for everyone to be seated with seat belts secured. Later during the flight, refreshments were in the process of being served, meaning that carts were moving up and down the aisle. And, you guessed it, this kid was back in the aisle being fidgety. One of the flight attendants had then made a general announcement that children should be kept out of the aisle and remain seated.

As this flight attendant moved closer towards the mommy in question, she complained to the attendant that her announcement was directed towards her and her child (well of *course* it was - her kid was the only one goofing in the aisle!). The attendant then explained to her in a friendly and courteous manner the reasons *why* the kid should not be loitering about in the aisle (um, get hit with food cart, unexpected turbulence which would make the kid a projectile...). Mommy then explained to her how she was trying to restrain her and how *haaaard* it was...etc.playing a violin Flight attendant placated the mother, but still firmly told her that her kid must remain in her seat. Anyhow, when said attendant came by my row, in a very low voice I told her that we're living in a totally different era. She completely agreed as this FA was an older woman. She had then whispered back to me about today's "Nouveau parenting" stating that she has 3 adult kids (30's and 40's) and would never even entertain the thought of them behaving in the manner that this mother was allowing her brat. I told her that my Mom would never allow this as well - my butt would stay in that seat! Anyhow, I then gave the attendant a well-concealed "fist bump" of agreement, lol! I can only imagine what flight attendants have to deal with on a daily basis.. Finally after the plane landed and people began to deplane, that kid was then back in the aisle sitting on the floor by her mom. Go figure..
Re: In-Flight Follies
December 29, 2016
As i recall, flight attendants are not waitresses. They are there in large part for safety assistance. Is it not a crime to not follow directions given by anyone on the flight crew, including FAs? I have NEVER been on any flight where there was not some general announcement saying you could move freely about the cabin if necessary (using the restroom or getting something from carryon luggage) but that otherwise you should remain in your seat.
December 29, 2016
49 U.S. Code ยง 46504 - Interference with flight crew members and attendants

An individual on an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States who, by assaulting or intimidating a flight crew member or flight attendant of the aircraft, interferes with the performance of the duties of the member or attendant or lessens the ability of the member or attendant to perform those duties, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than 20 years, or both. However, if a dangerous weapon is used in assaulting or intimidating the member or attendant, the individual shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life.

I believe you are correct, cfinboston. I'm not a lawyer, but I believe it is a federal offense to disobey flight crew. Now, the only thing is if that ^ means "it is illegal to interfere BY assaulting and intimidating" or if it means "it is illegal to interfere AND it is illegal to insult or intimidate." I interpret it as the latter, and if I were the FA I would have told the bitch as much.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
December 29, 2016
At least on this particular flight I'll have to give the "devil her due" in that she wasn't belligerent or loud when she complained to the FA about her announcement- she just sounded *whiny". It just left me shaking my head that the FA had give her somewhat of a doctoral dissertation as to why her brat shouldn't be messing around in the aisle- a fact that would be so obvious to the vast majority blessed with common sense. She did comply after that and kept the kid in control for the rest of the flight (even though the kid was occasionally loud sometimes..)
December 29, 2016
And you know if anyone had tried to get past the brat and accidentally (or "accidentally") stepped on her, moo would have been the first lowing for blood....
December 29, 2016
DucorpsToo
At least on this particular flight I'll have to give the "devil her due" in that she wasn't belligerent or loud when she complained to the FA about her announcement- she just sounded *whiny". It just left me shaking my head that the FA had give her somewhat of a doctoral dissertation as to why her brat shouldn't be messing around in the aisle- a fact that would be so obvious to the vast majority blessed with common sense. She did comply after that and kept the kid in control for the rest of the flight (even though the kid was occasionally loud sometimes..)

Common sense is as rare as white truffles in the United States of Breederville.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
January 01, 2017
kittehpeoples
And you know if anyone had tried to get past the brat and accidentally (or "accidentally") stepped on her, moo would have been the first lowing for blood....

Why step, when you can break wind. No doubt the kid is the perfect height for face full of a ring cough, and with the added bonus that everyone will think it was the smelly snotleigh tooting. blushing

Ah the only joys of being lactose intolerant with IBS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login