Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bratleigh at the Honoring

Posted by starlady 
Bratleigh at the Honoring
June 26, 2017
My group had an 'honoring'.. a fancy dinner with presentations... for some of our members yesterday afternoon. It's a formal occasion...but.. doncha just know.. one of the daughters of one of the honorees just HAD to bring her 2 year old. No one else brought any grand sprogs. The toadlers older sister (about 8 yrs old ad well behaved) was part of the presentation for her grandmother... but there was no reason to tote little sproglette along with her.

They sat about 2 tables away from me. We had dinner and I hardly noticed the kyd..until.. the speaches began... and then the brats mouth went into gear. First it was loud blabbering, then a couple of those screams, and then endless fussing. I gave it just one disapproving glance.. and that was it. Then I looked around at all the tables surrounding the screecher and I saw others... and I know they were all parents, grandparents... and the 'looks' they shot at that table were priceless.

Wasn't long then till 'screachilla' was taken out into the hall....where we could still hear her but at least the presentations were louder. She let that kyd sit there and make noise while a group of ...well... seniors (50's, 60's and 70's some older) try to hear what was going on at the podium. How rude!!

Oh.. and this is off topic but just wanted to run this by you. I just got an email from someone who was at the event yesterday. She's a friend..not a close friend.. but I know her. She wrote to a group of us...about 20 people... asking for prayers for herself because she is going through a rough spot. I don't know..but, to me, asking for prayers for one's self... isn't that kind of asking for attention somehow? I just find it a little rude. Maybe it's me... as I am not a real religious person..but I find it odd.
Re: Bratleigh at the Honoring
June 26, 2017
I'm an atheist so I wouldn't do the prayers thing, but maybe I'd send a card. It could just be that she's reaching out for support, and for many people who are religious asking for prayers is basically just asking to be remembered, and for a bit of emotional help.
June 27, 2017
Asking for prayer for oneself or others is definitely a religious thing. At some churches they actually dedicate a long prayer session to everyone who requests to be added to the list. Some people add family, people they know or more general events.
June 27, 2017
freya
Asking for prayer for oneself or others is definitely a religious thing. At some churches they actually dedicate a long prayer session to everyone who requests to be added to the list. Some people add family, people they know or more general events.

Yeah.. I was a church goer at one time. It all got old. My friend's church is like that. They spend 15 or 20 minutes praying for a long list of people. Since most of the church is seniors it takes a while. I am just not the prayer type. To me prayer is a type of meditation and just makes people feel better that they have talked over their troubles with 'someone.' Who knows if anyone is hearing it...but it's been talked over with one's self anyhow.

My friend won't tell us what is going on she is just saying 'pray for me.' Hummmm..... I'll send her some 'good vibes' 'cuz I am not really the prayin' type. To me G O D stands for Good Old Determination. Git yer butt up and carry on. See what all that religious school and church and sunday school did for me. Church gives me the willies. I am more spiritual and would prefer to just meditate in a beautiful setting... preferably the beach.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login