Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2087 - Sterlization and "ethics"

Posted by GreenGrass 
GreenGrass
2087 - Sterlization and "ethics"
January 02, 2007
This article really chaps me the wrong way. The author questions whether doctors should use their skills for "non-medical interventions". The first thing that comes to mind is plastic surgery. How many boob jobs are done around the world every year? Are *these* medically necessary? Yet the doctors are perfectly willing to take their patients' money for the operation. This is just one example of a "non-medical intervention".

Second, the woman in this case study said she had a medical reason for requesting sterilization - she has a congenital heart defect that could KILL HER if she were to get pregnant. Still, the doctor tries to change her mind:

"The doctor reassured her that many of the cardiac risks in pregnancy could be ameliorated by judicious medical care in a centre of excellence."

Then the article summary states the following:

"(The doctor) Must be honest about their philosophical position. If the doctor is opposed to sterilisation in any circumstance then this should be explained to the patient and the patient should be referred to another doctor."

Wow. So now a doctor can refuse to perform an operation if it against his or her "philosophical position"? Again, never mind that the woman in the case study COULD DIE FROM PREGNANCY. Oooh, this makes me so mad!!
Re: 2087 - Sterlization and "ethics"
January 02, 2007
as i said its quite a good article about how things are today. i know of someone who if she had kids not only would she be passing on her problems, but it would lead to a complete breakdown.. and its always useful to know how some people think so we can work that to our advantage

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: 2087 - Sterlization and "ethics"
January 02, 2007
It's okay for a woman to "elect" plastic sugery, because obviously she'll be using it to get a man and have a baby. For a woman to "elect" sterilzation is morally wrong because it has no purpose for baby making and as we all know, our highest purpose in life is to make a baby, or 8.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login