Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

IT'S STARTED!

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
IT'S STARTED!
February 02, 2007
One of my co-workers announced the fact that he and his wife are expecting a baby in 6 months. Our office (mostly women) has gone ape over this and has already started bombarding the guy with goodies. At our last staff meeting, the boss presented him with a book "The Expectant Father's Survival Kit" or something like that along with a picture frame for (you're going to love this!) the ultrasound photo! FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, THE KID'S NOT EVEN BORN YET!! Not to mention the fact that his wife is only a little over 3 months along and a LOT can happen between now and then.

Anyway, an e-mail went through the office "suggesting" that we could make a donation for the book & frame. I didn't give one DIME to this project because I work in a Federal office where the only legal charity drive is the Combined Federal Campaign. Is there anyone out there who has any suggestions on this one? I have a feeling the "gifts" are going to multiply exponentially!

PS. I am a woman and I find my office mates' behavior repulsive. Ever since our original office was merged with another, I feel like I've joined a sorority and there's a reason why I didn't join one in college! angry smiley
Re: IT'S STARTED!
February 06, 2007
OH GAWD. You have my sympathy on this one. Nothing like gut-wrenching-breeder-minded-vomit-inducing bullshit like this to make you want to end your own life just to get away from it.

There is a knocked up sow here at work. She's 38 and goes on how "SKERRY" it is because she's almost 40 and how BIG the BAYBEE is and she's got 3.5 months to go. Cry me a river. They've already started planning a shower for her which I will NOT attend.

As for your situation, just tell them you don't have the extra cash right now, something has come up. Funds are tight. Don't feel obligated to give anything.
February 06, 2007
Giving will only encourage them. Don't even offer an excuse, just say you can't and leave it at that. Hell, maybe they'll muster up some "sympathy" for your "mysterious situation" and take up a collection for you...or not. After all, you aren't pooping out a magical, precious, life affirming bag of shit wrapped in skin.
Anonymous User
February 08, 2007
Thanks! Like I said, I didn't donate one DIME and also said NOTHING, since I like to keep my work and home life separate. Not to mention that if I donate to one person, then I'd need to do so for everyone in order to be fair and I don't have that kind of money. That and in a Federal office, the only legal charity is the Combined Federal Campaign, and I've got issues with that as well since I think that there is great potential for blurring the line of separation between church and state (and yes, I am a Christian saying that).
Anonymous User
February 14, 2007
But don't you know? Everybody in the office is supposed to be happy when either a co-worker or their SO/spouse/partner gets knocked up and partake in a forced charity drive (read: baby shower) grinning smiley

I am SOOOOO fuckin' glad I work at home! No more stupid office poli-tricks, parties, birthday celebrations,Mary Kay or Avon books or other books with whatever type of shit folks are selling, Girl Scout cookies, "BUY THIS SO MY KID CAN WIN THIS" pamphlets thrust in my face, etc., etc., et infinitum!

If there is a company-wide e-mail announcement about a kyd being born or Toys For Tots or some such bullshit, all I need do is hit DELETE. grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login