Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pets as Gifts

Posted by guest 
Pets as Gifts
December 13, 2005
That's very depressing. I guess I would have suspected such a phenomenon, but it's sad to have it confirmed. Why is it that so many people, once they breed, are unable to appreciate animals as important beings who deserve our respect and kind treatment? I can't tell you all of the times I've heard of people getting rid of pets (family members, in my opinion) when a baby is born, either because they're sure the pet will kill the baby, or they "don't have time" to take care of the pet anymore, or they've just lost interest because now they have something so much more important: a HUMAN! Attention stupid, selfish, anthropocentric breeders: pets are not disposable!
Fattie
Re: Pets as Gifts
December 13, 2005
Agreed. Dogs and cats are living creatures just like their sporgs, except I can tolerate animals for the most part (I have 2 lovley cats at home).
The animal abuse from the breeders comes from their mentality. This is why the have kids and don't actively raise them. They just think "Awwwwwww! Wouldn't it be soooooooo much fun to have a baybee to wuv!" without thinking far enough ahead to the 2AM feedings and diaper changes. And most of them don't think far enough ahead that baybees turn into toddlers who turn into chydrun who turn into teenagers. Some of them stop caring fr the kyd when it's no longer a baybee.
I personally don't like kids. That's why I'm not having any. A SMALL part of me thinks that it would be nice to raise a productive citizen who makes a positive contribution to society as an ADULT. But a LARGE part of me knows in order to get the productive adult, I would have to put up with it as a baybee, toddler, chyuld, and teenager. You can't press fast-forward to make it grow up. I seem to be one of the few people on earth (besides a VAST majority of posters here) that seem to realize this!
Anonymous User
December 13, 2005
I will never shop at any pet store that sells dogs and cats because of this shit. I buy pet supplies from places like PetSmart, which also donate space in their stores for shelter pets that are up for adoption.

If I ruled the world, mall pet stores would be banned...the only people allowed to sell animals at all would be licensed, reputable breeders. They would be subject to regular and occasional unannounced inspections of their facilities and practices. No more backyard breeders and puppy/kitty mills.

Also, I would ban ALL animal sales between Thanksgiving and New Year's, as well as in March/April (whichever month Easter falls in that year). These same dumbass breeders also buy cute little bunny rabbits for their brats for Easter, only to dump them when they realize that they actually have to take care of them!

A lot of shelters won't even adopt out animals during these periods, for these very reasons.

I wish I ruled the world! =^..^=
Feh
December 13, 2005
I remember a couple years ago the pet stores had to stop selling clown fish, because of Finding Nemo. A few years before that, there was a spike in dalmations at the shelters, because of 1001 Dalmations. I don't understand why parents just don't take a few moments, learn about the specifics of care and personality of the breeds of animals their kids are whining for, educate their children about those facts, and then tell them no, we can't get a clown fish, because they're salt water fish, and very very hard to care for. Or, no, we can't ge a dalmation, because they aren't the kind of dogs who actually like children, and they really need alot of attention. But as far as I can tell, if you tell a kid "no" that's some sort of abuse.

Again, it's always kind of sad to realize that, at least from what I've read, CF'ers would make much better parents than most existing parents now. We just seem more thoughtful in the choices we make, and don't just go out and blow a wad on some bullshit because "everyone else is doing it". Oh well.
KidFreeLuvnLife
December 13, 2005
Same goes for Jack Russell Terriers. Remember that show, "Wish Bone?" With that cute little Jack Russell? Well, of course ALL the breeders HAD to have one for their kids because they're small dogs and easy to care for. WRONG!!!! HA! Jack Russells are adorable but are a handful and require a lot of attention. My breeder neighbor had one whom they left unsupervised all the time. Of course her name was Wish Bone, too, and she always ended up at my house wanting to come in and chase my cats around. LOL
mercurior 1
December 13, 2005
well here in the UK, pet shops have to be licensed with good conditions for pets, or the pet shop owners will lose their shop, and maybe get a prison sentence, and a massive fine.

we have always had pets in this house, from budgies to dogs to tree frogs (they caught a cold and died one of the perils in a cold area) we had a terrapin it lived 15 years.

we have pet charities, that look after abandoned animals who will not be put down, but there are shelters which take some in, but the problem is they dont open at the weekends, so you cant go down and pick any up. if i had the money i would have dozens of cats and dogs, and guinea pigs and you name it..

jack russells are dangerous they are mincers on legs,
Anonymous User
December 13, 2005
I HATE when BreederButts buy pets for their kids because of the latest fad on TV. It saddens me to see undeserving children who will hurt the animals and neglect them after the cuteness wears off receive pets for Christmas. Oh, and Catmommy, do you mind if I rule the world with you? :3
Feh
December 13, 2005
Pets are great. I had them as a kid, but my parents knew to start out with something small and relatively simple to care for, fish. Once I managed to care for a fish without being constantly reminded to do it, I got the guinea pigs I wanted...and then was put in charge of the cat boxes for some reason. Never got that damn pony though.

It seems to just be another instance of parents only thinking about themselves and their spawn and treating the rest of the living creatures in the world as their toys, slaves or garbage.
sprogless
December 13, 2005
For the record, I have FOUR Jack Russell Terriers. One of their most endearing qualities is that they do not like children. When we had a house, I used to sic them on the neighborhood kids that thought it was okay to use our pool without our permission. They'd never bite them, but they would corner them until I called them off. People who buy these dogs for their kids are asking for it. Stupid breeders. I'd like to see them end up in a shelter facing euthanasia if nobody adopts them. Same with their lame kids.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.