Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

iPads raising the next generation

Posted by cfuter 
iPads raising the next generation
January 29, 2024
From teacher subreddit:

"HS teacher here. I was just at a cafe working on some homework for my class. A mom had her kid at a business meeting. Yes, the kid was SO poorly behaved, yelling at her iPad with her headphones on.

I looked over to see what the kid was doing. She was coloring - but not in the way you’d expect: she chose a color, clicked a box, and magically the box was colored in. She went from page to page, plowing through them in seconds because it was so easy.

No i am not saying that coloring should be “hard” or something, but these activities used to promote dexterity and focus.

I guess no longer…

I felt a bit sad"

I don't know what we're doing giving even very small children iPads all day to play with. If they don't even have to look their parents in the eye from a very young age, how are they every gonna do it? Never have to learn to just amuse themselves, or have a thought that doesn't involve stimulus from electronic entertainment. My hub and I seldom go to malls, etc., but we did this week, and the amount of parents toting around iPads to amuse their under 5 y.o. kyds was amazing. And, of course, no parent talks to their kyd in a restaurant just put that KinderCrap iPad in front of their face, teach them they never have to be part of a conversation or listen to one, ever. Never be slightly bored, never have to put up with others.

So, parents never have to amuse their own kids w/ just talking to them, looking around w/ them, or telling them to sit still on the bench, no playing pattycake to pass the time while waiting for mama to get her nails done(why the whole fam has to go together for that I'll never know). No human interaction. Grandparunts say their toddler g-kids r allowed to be on device 16 hours a day in a corner.

There seems to be a lot of articles and concern from I guess millennials who are well into adulthood about kids being on devices and tiktok all day. I actually hope someone listens. But, no one will. We CF used to complain how horrible kyds were on this site and others in the 90s, and how they were gonna be once grown, and once grown with their own kids, we predicted this. Because if you want a (frustrating) kick in the pants, search YouTube for "Sephora kids" and "Stanley cup kids", and" Millennial teachers quitting over GenZ and GenAlpha", and just see youngish employees complain how horrible the 10 y.o.s are in public, to the employees, and to their own parunts. It does seem to be worse than ever, and 10 isnt *that* young, they should start knowing better. But the teachers say that today's 11 y.o.'s believe they r on equally footing w/ the adults, and the parunts wont cooperate when kyd misbehaves, and there's no support from administration. We're still constantly building self esteem and have no consequences schools. A teacher will get in trouble before a student ever will.
Re: iPads raising the next generation
January 29, 2024
Actually, here's the link, if you want to read the comments, it is actually really really sad, the skills we are not teaching children, so they will just sit down and shut up w/ an iPad in front of their face. "Kids can't play games because they don't know how to lose" "*8th graders who can't cut construction paper for a project, takes 5x as long as it should".

This is actually amazing, as I thought mommies and dahdies put them into activities and sports and music lessons, but they still have no motor skills evidently. Other than jocky sports, my school didnt have all this shit and music lessons were crazy scarce. I would say 20-25 max students took music lessons out of the WHOLE school. I know becuz I took them and had to stick w/ them for 7 yrs. Most did a yr or two, or even less. Actually, I'm probably overzealous w/ my 20-25 approximation.

Anyway, read below how today's students literally can' t do anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Teachers/comments/1ad8cc4/i_guess_they_dont_even_color_anymore/
January 30, 2024
and back in the early 1960s, Mad Magazine published an "hilarious" article predicting that in the near future people would lose the use of their legs because they didn't have to use them anymore and they would atrophy! We laughed and laughed , "so funny and impossible"! And here we are...."too "bizzy" to grocery shop?" just order it all delivered. "Too much trouble to answer the door?" Just hit your Smart Watch and tell it to answer the door! "High blood pressure and diabetes because you don't move enough?" Just take this drug (doesn't work well enough? 'Boost' it with an augmenting drug!) Order the whole collection of drugs AND an automatic leg exercise machine delivered from Walmart! And BTW, get some anti-depression drugs because you never get out to meet anyone, so you have no friends! Nor do you really know your 2.2 kids cause all your noses are buried in your electronics all day and night.
January 30, 2024
It is sad going to the 'burbs to a half way fancy steakhouse on a weekend(something we rarely do), and are surprised to see there's an iPad/phone at every table and with multiple people except my table. Most had kids but still no one can just sit w/ the conversation. But I saw well into mid -age couple w/o kids and the 2 were on their phones in silence, every minute there wasn't a plate in front of them, that had to go on for 1.5 hrs. It is times like these when I realize a vast majority of ppl are total sheeple. Because, JUST. PUT. IT. DOWN. Also, be a parent and just dont want them to shut up w/ an iPad/DVD/games/headphones. Teach them the art of listening, and when to be a part of a conversation as a kid, then an adult. Teach them friendly convo and how to deal w/ negative convos in a diplomatic way. Teach them it is ok to be bored and it is part of life. I dont know how teachers can complete w/ this if youre always stimulated-entertained at home and then have to not be at school and do hard things.
January 30, 2024
reeniebessagain
and back in the early 1960s, Mad Magazine published an "hilarious" article predicting that in the near future people would lose the use of their legs because they didn't have to use them anymore and they would atrophy! We laughed and laughed , "so funny and impossible"! And here we are...."too "bizzy" to grocery shop?" just order it all delivered. "Too much trouble to answer the door?" Just hit your Smart Watch and tell it to answer the door! "High blood pressure and diabetes because you don't move enough?" Just take this drug (doesn't work well enough? 'Boost' it with an augmenting drug!) Order the whole collection of drugs AND an automatic leg exercise machine delivered from Walmart! And BTW, get some anti-depression drugs because you never get out to meet anyone, so you have no friends! Nor do you really know your 2.2 kids cause all your noses are buried in your electronics all day and night.

I have groceries delivered not because I don't want to walk but because I'm disabled and I've no control over bowel and bladder. A bowel oops would be horrific in a store.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
January 30, 2024
Delivery is great for a person like you, CrazyZits. After awhile, it turns into a sometime luxury to an everyday affair that many shouldnt be able to waste money on since income isn't matching expenses as they say.

But since new neighbors have moved into my immediate area, some houses get several packages delivered all fricking day everyday, and they seem to be home. I have acquaintances who retired early but are on a finite income, yet they pay delivery fees on shopping and food delivery. It seems to me that is a colossal waste of fixed income, when your have time and are able-bodied. They have kids ironically enough, yet between the two of them, they "have no time" . Seems like you could spend time making family dinner nites where you teach kids ez cooking, helping, cleaning, and get them interested in it, and the family. But like typical breeders we all know, they center their lives around bratty kids that drive the schedule instead of parenting and have the adults lead the schedule. I know I dont have kids, and they will say, u dont know till youve done it and see how it is derailed, but the PNBs can do it and the BNPs can't. I do know that.
January 30, 2024
CrazyZits, I was never casting aspersions on people with disabilities, or other challenges. Simply, despairing on the snowballing effect of average people being sucked into the "we're so important/"bizzy" that we can't lift a finger to take care of normal chores". Also to the effect this must have on the social interaction between people created by everyone being encouraged to never go out into the public.
January 30, 2024
reeniebessagain
CrazyZits, I was never casting aspersions on people with disabilities, or other challenges. Simply, despairing on the snowballing effect of average people being sucked into the "we're so important/"bizzy" that we can't lift a finger to take care of normal chores". Also to the effect this must have on the social interaction between people created by everyone being encouraged to never go out into the public.

You're correct. However, many people are working two to three jobs trying to keep a roof over their heads, (and many aren't breeders,) as the average rent in Prescott is $1800 per month and minimum wage is $7.50. Life isn't affordable, and it makes people cranky and desire shortcuts when the working day is 17 hours.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
January 31, 2024
If youre working so much bcz you cant make ends meet, paying delivery fees for food and other things is not the way to go. Once my hub went thru someone's conveniences w/ them, it was $400 a month. That could go into a retirement fund, college fund, emergency fund, or just make ends meet.

But I am glad they have more delivery for folks like you who really need it bcz physical challenges.
January 31, 2024
cfuter
If youre working so much bcz you cant make ends meet, paying delivery fees for food and other things is not the way to go. Once my hub went thru someone's conveniences w/ them, it was $400 a month. That could go into a retirement fund, college fund, emergency fund, or just make ends meet.

But I am glad they have more delivery for folks like you who really need it bcz physical challenges.

$400 per month? Holy shit!

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
February 01, 2024
Gluing brats to iPads is this generation's equivalent of plopping the brats in front of the television to keep them busy, only iPads are portable. The parents do it so they don't have to actually do their jobs. Kids aren't allowed to be bored because the parents are too worried about them getting into trouble, so it's best to get them addicted to an electronic device early on. That way, they won't learn to make their own fun and inconvenience the parents with questions or messes.

I'm not saying I didn't watch a bunch of TV as a kid. Hell I lived and breathed cartoons and video games. The highlight of my week was getting to rent a movie or a game every Friday for the weekend. But I also went outside and rolled in the dirt, rode my bike and played with the stray cats too, so I had a nice balance of technology and outdoors.

The next crop of young adults in a couple decades is going to be so developmentally stunted from no parenting, a total lack of learning and being unable to function in any way, shape or form without a device to guide them. At the very very very least, whatever they need to learn how to do, they can almost certainly find a tutorial for it on YouTube. I wish I had that as a kid, honestly.
February 07, 2024
cfuter
From teacher subreddit:

"I looked over to see what the kid was doing. She was coloring - but not in the way you’d expect: she chose a color, clicked a box, and magically the box was colored in. She went from page to page, plowing through them in seconds because it was so easy.

No i am not saying that coloring should be “hard” or something, but these activities used to promote dexterity and focus.

I guess no longer…

I felt a bit sad".
What is ironic is that Boomer Grandparents will often gush over how 'smart' this electronic dependence makes the kids, and it's always so frustrating to hear. It's not making them smart, it's simply rewarding mediocrity of effort and Pavlovian button pushing. Too many (especially old people it seems) assume that using computers must mean intelligence, when it's a collective dumbing down because of growing lack of physical playtime and real world human interaction. Sure the kids will look 'smart' interacting with a screen, but they will be severely crippled out in the real world.
February 07, 2024
Eye roll

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
February 09, 2024
Some adults are like this too. We just elected a state representative who is 34 years old. He happened to see me walking by as he had his face in his phone and just said abruptly "hi Bob" and then looked down on his phone again. No attempt to have a conversation.

This is the same young man who during a visit to our house would not tell me what his occupation was. So far as I know he could have lived in his parents basement. So far, all I know about him is that he likes to eat (very overweight) doesn't like the Gillette company (has a beard) doesn't like to shower (smelled), likes to play games on his phone all the time and knows how to get his wife Really Pregnant (she had triplets).

Why did people vote for him?
February 09, 2024
I thought conservatives forgot about the the whole Gillette thing and went back to buying them. So many of the bearded dudes are have beards to show they can't be using Gillette.
February 09, 2024
mr. neptune

Why did people vote for him?

PA - Philly in the east, P-burgh in the west, Alabama in between, 1943 Bavaria on the Northern Tier.

nightfire
What is ironic is that Boomer Grandparents will often gush over how 'smart' this electronic dependence makes the kids, and it's always so frustrating to hear. It's not making them smart, it's simply rewarding mediocrity of effort and Pavlovian button pushing. Too many (especially old people it seems) assume that using computers must mean intelligence, when it's a collective dumbing down because of growing lack of physical playtime and real world human interaction. Sure the kids will look 'smart' interacting with a screen, but they will be severely crippled out in the real world.

If you work in a technology field you hear all the fucking time about how the digital native generation is so much more adept. They aren't. They are fast at using new interfaces, but because they are shielded from the actual system, many of them are utterly clueless at very basic computing tasks like navigating a folder structure. I'm not saying that some skills haven't become obsolete as technology has moved on, but I can still tell the difference between those who tried fiddling with the system and those who merely consumed what companies served up and think that because they can navigate settings on an iPhone they are qualified to work in IT.
March 10, 2024
yurble
If you work in a technology field you hear all the fucking time about how the digital native generation is so much more adept. They aren't. They are fast at using new interfaces, but because they are shielded from the actual system, many of them are utterly clueless at very basic computing tasks like navigating a folder structure. I'm not saying that some skills haven't become obsolete as technology has moved on, but I can still tell the difference between those who tried fiddling with the system and those who merely consumed what companies served up and think that because they can navigate settings on an iPhone they are qualified to work in IT.

This is what I found with the students I used to teach. Hand them a piece of new tech and they can navigate it just fine, but the second it stops working as intended they are at a complete loss.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
March 10, 2024
yurble

Compared to what they used to be, a lot of the modern interfaces for average users are pretty dumbed down. MSDOS, early Windows, and more used to require that you at least knew relatively well enough about programs or your way around a computer to navigate (or even write programs if need be!) through them, lest you inadvertently erase your whole hard drive or corrupt your data. Nowadays it's always 'baby's first computer' levels of computing for these 'digital natives.'
March 11, 2024
I'm putting this here if anyone's interested in reading this reddit thread. It is in similar vein of phones with the very youngest generation totally ruining all of their skills and their dumbass parents totally letting it happen....asking teachers how to get kid to stop playing video games and do homework "limit screen time" "well he doesnt listen" hitting over the head with a hammer

And, it confirms what youre saying Yurble, Nightfire and LoveToLurk, they can play with any phone but dont know how to type an email or save a document. They only know how to play within an app.

And, considering there's no arguments here or backpedaling or fronting it with "I know the kids are great and just get antsy once in awhile" I tend to believe these teachers because they all seem to by in sync and have multiple specific examples. They say the high achievers are the ones who can put it away and not be distracted by it for a whole period, that is the difference in students. They say the ones who can put it away are the ones who actually read for pleasure. It's rather eye-opening.

Between having the kids w/o any normal age appropriate skills and parents who cant get them to listen, I almost wonder if corporal punishment will make a return in the family home. While I think physical punishment is a bit of lazy parenting and today's parents dont want their kid to be afraid of them, But enough is enough, one or two well timed (and deserved) spankings and you dont have to do it ever again. Either that or follow up w/ your restrictions and consequences. Not a parent obviously, but not doing this seems like MORE work and problems in the long run, not less.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Teachers/comments/1bcahpr/is_gen_alphaearly_gen_z_really_cooked_like/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login