Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Everyone butthurt that adult awtard not allowed to use library children's room

Posted by Cambion 
The library stood firm on their rules: children's room = for children. The tard is 31 years old and the library staff told him to sit in the adult section and they would be happy to provide him with children's books.

Apparently it was "abrupt and callous" to expect an adult to not hang out in the kiddy section. It's probably a safety issue. Had they let him use the kids' area, parents would be screaming about the strange man hanging around their kids. I also don't know if this particular tard is violent or aggressive, but they may want to prevent him from having a meltdown over not getting the book he wants and then hauling off and socking a kindergartener in the face for it.

The library's rules are very clear: unless you are under the age of 12 and accompanied by an adult, you don't belong in the kiddy area. So they're not just picking on this guy because he's an awtard - it's because he's too old to be in there.

Maybe the library could do like a special thing for tards, like on the weekends or during the less busy times. I know grocery stores do stuff like that where they have special shopping times for awtards. I also have to wonder if the tard's parents were just trying to dump him in the kids' area so they didn't have to watch him for a while and maybe that's what the library had a problem with.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/03/07/new-york-library-restrictio-autism-from-childrens-programs/72876637007/

IRVINGTON, N.Y. - Matt Maillet loves books. He loves music. And he loves libraries.

At 31 with dual developmental disabilities, autism, and Prader-Willi Syndrome, Matt goes with his caregiver or parents to local libraries for children's programs. A favorite has been the West Harrison Library. Their activities provide him entertainment and socialization opportunities.

But, Kayla Brown, who supports Matt, said during a recent visit to the children's room at West Harrison, she was told Matt could not be in that area. A librarian said he would need to be in the adult section, and the library would provide children's books for him to browse there.

This and similar age-restriction issues are likely to be faced by more families. One out of 36 children and 1 in 45 adults in the U.S. has autism, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Daniel Maillet, Matt's dad, called the restriction unacceptable. "I called the director and explained the issues," he said, adding that West Harrison has wonderful kids programs. But he said the librarian didn't budge. "It was abrupt and it was callous."

A change.org petition seeking support for Matt and other adults with disabilities, posted by Brown, was approaching 200 signatures by Wednesday. "We feel that the rules should be carefully changed to allow IDD disabled individuals with close monitoring by an aide to be able to participate," the petition states.

What library rules say

Harrison Library Director Galina Chernykh and Harrison Library board President Andrea Mignone Viehe-Naess declined to comment about the situation, citing patron privacy.

However, in communication about the issue with Barbara Mahoney, an Irvington neighbor of the Maillets, Chernykh said that the library offered adult programs that are designed to be inclusive and accessible.

"Your understanding in this matter is greatly appreciated as we navigate the delicate balance between inclusivity and adherence to policy," Chernykh wrote in a March 5 email.

West Harrison is a branch of the Harrison Public Library. According to the library's website, children's room regulations specify that the room and programs are for children ages 12 and under and those accompanying a child; someone accessing material only available in the children's room; or someone developing curricula or researching children's literature.

"All other patrons must only use the other areas of the Library," the website states.

The children's room rules acknowledge that children, "by nature can cause some disruption." (Which probably means some sensory tard will be set off by them and will cause a ruckus.)

There are no restrictions for attending library events.

"However, children (whether with a caregiver or not) who are deemed too disruptive by the Library staff will be warned that if they do not settle down they will be asked to leave the Library. Extreme or repetitive disruptive behavior, in the sole judgment of the Library staff, may result in immediate expulsion from the Library."

Peter Zummo, a retired lawyer in Erie County and a parent of a 25-year-old with autism, said the legal and practical questions are not necessarily the same.

"If the rule is enforced across the board, it may be legal. Segregating by age is not inherently illegal," said Zummo, who serves on the executive committee of the New York Alliance for the Developmentally Disabled. "But it's not a good look."

'He's such a sweet guy'

Matt Maillet is nonverbal and has limited communication skills. He likes to thumb through picture books and is especially partial to Elmo. He's attended various children's programs at his church, St. Barnabas Episcopal in Irvington.

The Maillets have arranged one-on-one support for Matt through the Self-Direction program, facilitated by the state Office for People with Developmental Disabilities. Before the COVID pandemic, Matt had participated in day programs, but the Maillets said the one-on-one support works best for their son.

Brown, a former nanny, started working with Matt this year. She said library visits help keep Matt engaged, especially in the winter, when outdoor activities are limited.

She was unaware of any families complaining about Matt's presence in the children's room. "He’s such a sweet guy."

Dan Maillet said that the library rules should consider more than just chronological age. "It’s not their physical age, it's their mental age. As long as they have aides with them." (Once you start breaking the rules for one snowflake, you have to start doing it for everyone and then they are no longer rules. Nobody cares that Tardley is mentally a child, he has the physical strength of a grown man.)

Dan Maillet said even if nothing changes at the library, he hopes Matt's circumstance will start a discussion about the needs and comfort of those with developmental disabilities.

"I've been advocating for 30 years," Dan Maillet said. "If something’s not right, I call it out." (Duh sounds insufferable. He needs to learn that everything is not for everyone, and instead of focusing on the one very specific place his tard offspring is not allowed, accept that his kid needs to get his library fix in the adult section.)
So now libraries are supposed to be able to determine someone's mental age so they can go into the kid's area? This is another sign that society as a whole is not able to cater to the demands that autistic people and their handles create.

Isn't hypersexuality a problem in some people with autism too? I don't know a whole lot about it but I remember being in an uncomfortable situation where one wouldn't stop staring at my chest and smiling at me in a creepy manner until the person who was supervising him (a friend of mine I bumped into on the street) took him away. How would the library even deal with it if some kid was attacked by one of these people? I imagine the first thing to be launched is a lawsuit.
Don't most children's rooms have furniture that is only suitable for child-sized people? This could easily be a simple health and safety issue.
Not to mention how easily over-stimulated awtards of any age tend to get. Who is to say they won't be set off by shrieking brats and start causing injuries and/or damage?

mumofsixbirds
Isn't hypersexuality a problem in some people with autism too?

In some cases, yes. And since these people have no social filter whatsoever, they have no qualms about expressing their sexual feelings in less than acceptable ways. Like jacking off in public places. Hypersexuality is also more common in adult male awtards. Not that that's a guarantee that these tards are pedophiles, but who is to say a male awtard won't start pulling it in the library in a room full of kids? Then the parents of those kids will start screeching about the pervert exposing himself to their kids and why did the library allow a mentally challenged adult into the kids' section. Which is a legitimate concern, for sure.

What is so important about the kids' room that the awtard has to be in it? The staff has been more than accommodating by offering to bring him children's books. Will Mommy and Daddy start bitching about discrimination when their darling herpaderp isn't allowed in the women's bathroom too? Everyone has a place, but some places are off limits to some people. Tardley should learn that sooner rather than later, and that just because he's mentally disabled doesn't mean he's exempt from the rules.

Rather than bitching and moaning to the media, maybe Duh should speak to the library staff and see if arranging some kind of tard sensory awareness reading hour is possible, with children's books included. But the problem is if people actually attend this event, having so many people with varying degrees of autism and any number of triggers could be a disaster waiting to happen.

yurble
Don't most children's rooms have furniture that is only suitable for child-sized people? This could easily be a simple health and safety issue.

That too, especially since so many autistic people are fucking huge. Are the handlers going to pay for it when their gigantic hulkatard squeezes their ass into a tiny child-size chair and breaks it? I don't know how large this particular person is, but even if they are a relatively normal weight for an adult, they could still break something.
OK, so the nanny claims she knew of no complaints about the 31 y.o.. But really, what parent would approach a caregiver (or parent) to complain directly to them in such a situation? Any complaints would be made to library staff. That the author of the article didn't follow up with the library to ask if they had gotten complaints is sloppy journalism. It would have provided a better balance to the article, pointing out the difficulties of meeting the needs of all library patrons. And it wouldn't surprise me if other parents or kids were uncomfortable by the presence of an autistic adult in a space designed for children.

As I read it, no one from the library is saying Matt can't be in the library or cannot use the library, what they are saying is he can't hang out in the children's section and cannot participate in children's library programs. The library has offered to bring him books, but those reasonable accommodations are being cast aside in Dad's "all or nothing" crusade to get his way.
I’m the evilest child hater who ever hated children, and even I can see why having a 31 year old in the children’s section is a problem. It doesn’t matter if he has the mind of a 5 year old, he has the body of an adult man. What happens when this “gentle giant” gets in a playground-type squabble with a little kid over a book? Is he going to understand how to not bash the kid’s face in? Or, as others have mentioned, the hypersexualization that is often present in situations like his. He went through puberty, his body feels aroused, and his mind has no idea how to handle it appropriately. If the mood hits because he bumped the corner of the table in just the right way, is he going to whip it out and solve the problem in the middle of the children’s room?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
Tards in general tend to be overly sexual...it's not only the autards but tards of all flavors.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I have found little that is 'good' about human beings on the whole. In my experience most of them are trash, no matter whether they publicly subscribe to this or that ethical doctrine or to none at all."
~Sigmund Freud
If Duhddy is so hell-bent on his tard child being catered to in a library, maybe he should build the tard a library in his house. Like I remember seeing something about a family that built a tiny Blockbuster store in their basement filled with movies to "rent" because their awtard child loved going to Blockbuster, but then they closed. Why doesn't he devote a room to reading and stock it with kids' books? That way, there is no judgment or rules and Junior can enjoy his books.

This Duh also sounds like exactly the kind of person who will puff out his chest and verbally abuse any other parent who tells him to relocate his tard. The staff was doing their best to accommodate the awtard without compromising the comfort of the other visitors, but that wasn't enough for Duh. They probably also wanted to avoid any confrontations between the tard Duh and the other parents of actual minor children because you know he would have been in the children's room bossing the other parents and brats around so his kid could have the best seat, the best books, etc.
Cambion
I also have to wonder if the tard's parents were just trying to dump him in the kids' area so they didn't have to watch him for a while and maybe that's what the library had a problem with.

I'm guessing you're not far off the mark with that theory, and then the mean ol' librarians went and spoiled it by pointing out that they have rules.

This guy can complain and sign petitions all he wants, but the fact is if one of the other kids went home talking about the big man hanging out with all the toddlers, you can bet there'd be an even bigger shitstorm. And rightly so.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login