Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

They may be young, but they know what they want

Posted by catmeow 
They may be young, but they know what they want
May 31, 2007
Caught up in the craze of home design, tweens are taking charge and redecorating their bedrooms to suit their trendy tastes: http://tinyurl.com/2lnc8x

Later in the series will be these girls planning their My Super Sweet 16 parties.
Re: They may be young, but they know what they want
June 01, 2007
When I was a tween, I had no say whatsoever in how my room was decorated. I was told to like it or lump it and guess what? I survived!

Check out the part where some brat wants a runway built so she can model her fashions two faces puking

This is the next generation people - pahrunts, I hope you're proud of yourselves.

But of course they are,they're doing TMIJITW!
June 01, 2007
Exactly! Until I moved out, it was not my decision when it came to bedroom furnishings. I could put up posters but that was it! Today's children are given everything. I really do believe our society is on the downhill slide as these spoiled brats will be entering the workforce. They will absolutely be worthless. Sweet 16 parties are stupid. Why should some dumb cunt get a big ta-do over turning a certain age. I guess it is no longer "Sweet 16 and never been kissed". It is "Sweet 16 and been fucked too many times..."
And on the other side of the LP - "Sweet sixteen and farming out rugrats to gramma and grandpa, 'cause she's too much of a slut to stop partying (or use birth control)."

A little wordy, but I think Weird Al Yankovich could have fun with it.
June 01, 2007
What a bunch of dumb, little twats. I think there should be a reality show that showcases these girls as they try to survive in the real world, after being pampered, babied and spoiled by mommy and daddy their whole lives. I think it will make for some GREAT comic relief.
June 01, 2007
amethusos* Wrote:
Sweet 16 parties are stupid. Why should some dumb cunt get a big ta-do
> over turning a certain age. I guess it is no
> longer "Sweet 16 and never been kissed". It is
> "Sweet 16 and been fucked too many times..."

I meant the MTV show called My Super Sweet 16. I found this Wikipedia description of the show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Super_Sweet_16

If I pulled that shit when I was a kid, I would have been told that I could decorate my bedroom and the house when I paid the rent or mortgage for it.
June 01, 2007
If my bedroom needed re-painting, then I could choose the colour. My room went from yellow to pink at one point. But that's it! And I helped with the painting.
June 03, 2007
My room was a godawful shade of pink - and it still is. My mom refused to let me repaint it (I wanted to paint the walls black), and she even bitched at me when I wanted to hang posters up - she would always tell me "You're gonna take those down if I ever put wallpaper in there - I don't want all those damn holes in the wallpaper [from tacks]". I also have the joy of sleeping with a Powerpuff Girls comforter; this is from when my mom thought I worshipped that show and bought me an entire PPG bedroom set - sheets, pillowcases, curtains, comforter, and giant plush pillows of all three girls. She found out I'm not entirely fond of the show, but won't let me remove the material because it's an investment she made, and that means it stays until she dies.

It's still pink, but I guess I can live with that. Now my walls are adorned with posters, pictures, and a few of my paintings...and I think I nailed a set of fuzzy dice to my ceiling too (ceiling has a design on it that was made by pushing a plunger against the wet paint - joy).

But yeah - that was the extent of what I was able to do. Sane parents refuse to let their kids do stupid extreme shit with their bedrooms because, chances are, when Junior and Princess move out (if they do), that bedroom may get turned into a study, and office, or a spare bedroom. If the walls are painted fluorescent purple and there's a walkway in there, that will mean more time, effort and money from the parents to remodel the room to be able to make it useful once the kids are gone.

Althought I'll say this - those Japanese lanterns look pretty cool. But yeah - Princess can wait until she's an adult and making her own money to decorate her bedroom to her liking, and rather than submitting to their bratty kids' demands, parents should encourage said decision.
I'm probrably in the minority here, but what is the big deal about kids decorating their bedrooms within reason? What harm does it really do to put up some paint, and decorations?

I'm not saying go hog wild with super expensive stuff. A gallon of paint and some curtains do not cost much. Kids and teens spend a lot of time in their rooms, and should have a say in what they look like.

My own parents let me do whatever I wanted with my room. The only thing that had to be left alone was the carpet, which was changed once when they recarpeted the house, and I got to pick the new color.
I was an artistic kid, and wound up getting a BFA in design in college. Letting me have my dream room only inspired me.

My parents recently tried to sell the house I grew up in. My bedroom in that house is still as I left it...a moroccan theme with dark pink walls and trim, with a gold sponge painted ceiling. My best friend and I did all the work. It is complete with a canopy and nice moroccan throw pillows. My parents weren't thrilled with the color, but figured to change it it would only need a little paint.

Guess which room was the one that people gushed over when they saw the house?

Sometimes I think the CF go too far with controlling kids...
June 04, 2007
You made an excellent point when you said kids spend a lot of time in their rooms. Not everyone's parents are willing or able to let them decorate, though. Mine weren't. We couldn't have afforded the paint and curtains cos hell, we were poor! Even if we had the money, my mother was too much of a control freak to let us have any say. Our relationship is one of the many reasons I'm CF, but I'm digressing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with them having some say. What is wrong is spending thousands of dollars you maybe can't afford to please some spoiled kid.
I think the posters are objecting to the pahrunts pandering to the kid's every whim. I don't think it's "controlling" to let a kid know they can't have everything they want, though. The world doesn't work that way.
June 04, 2007
Theresa and Liz, I hear both of you. A child should be able to express individuality. The problem is that most of today's children demand that everything be "their way" but expect their parents to pay as kids do not have the $$$ to be The Boss. Like Liz said, the world does not go that way: meaning a person gets his/her way all of the time.
June 04, 2007
I'd just pitch in that if a kid is willing to pony up the money and/or do the work themselves, they should be able to have their room any way they wanted. When my parents moved in to our fixer upper, it was understood that my room would wait until the rest of the house was finished. I did as much as I could to help speed along the process, and once the rest of the house was finished, I was allowed to pick paint and carpeting for my room. When I got into my teens, and decided that pink walls and rainbow striped carpet wasn't my scene any more, I worked out an arrangement with my parents that my allowance for chores (which were still my responsiblity) would go to pay for half the supplies needed to redecorate my room. It was also agreed that I would do all the painting myself, but anything involving putting holes in the walls my dad would do. I was quite pleased with the result, and exceptionally pleased when my grandmother made me a quilt that matched my color scheme at the time, and I still have to this day.
I think a lot of CF are of the "I walked up hill both ways in 6 feet of snow 12 months a year to school, and I never complained" mentality.

Allowing kids do modestly decorate a room when the family has the means is really no big deal. No where in that article did it say that the family was piss poor, and spent their last $20 on brat's bedroom. Nor did it say the brat was pulling a temper tantrum to get her japanese lanterns.

Lots of things were different when people were younger. Just because something didn't exist. or wasn't popular when we were younger dosen't necessarily mean that kids today shouldn't have them...**IN MODERATION**

Not all kids with nice bedrooms are bratty.

Sometimes I think people are a bit too extreme. Just because things are different now then 20 years ago does not make a particular thing bad.

People should just keep their kids in bedrooms with orange and puke green striped wallpaper because thats what they had as kids, and it didn't kill them. And kids should still milk the cows before the go to school....
June 04, 2007
my bedroom, has 4 different wall papers, only one wall was bought specially for me, the rest was off cuts from the rest of the house.

i have a white part, a spotted bit, a superman wall paper wink..

but then i wasnt interested in external stuff, it was a room to sleep and read, i spent more time in my head than in my room

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
June 04, 2007
Theresa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think a lot of CF are of the "I walked up hill
> both ways in 6 feet of snow 12 months a year to
> school, and I never complained" mentality.
>
>
> Allowing kids do modestly decorate a room when the
> family has the means is really no big deal. No
> where in that article did it say that the family
> was piss poor, and spent their last $20 on brat's
> bedroom. Nor did it say the brat was pulling a
> temper tantrum to get her japanese lanterns.
>
> Lots of things were different when people were
> younger. Just because something didn't exist. or
> wasn't popular when we were younger dosen't
> necessarily mean that kids today shouldn't have
> them...**IN MODERATION**
>
> Not all kids with nice bedrooms are bratty.
>
> Sometimes I think people are a bit too extreme.
> Just because things are different now then 20
> years ago does not make a particular thing bad.
>
> People should just keep their kids in bedrooms
> with orange and puke green striped wallpaper
> because thats what they had as kids, and it didn't
> kill them. And kids should still milk the cows
> before the go to school....

It is not really the "I walked five miles in the snow to go to school" mentality but the entitlement many kids feel if their parents make good $$$. Remember, the wealth belongs to the parents who earn the money...not the child who did nothing to earn it except have the good fortune to be born in a family of "means". A parent should allow free expression. If the parents are more firm and do not want certain things in their kid(s) bedroom, it is really the mother and father's right as they are the people who are paying for the house/apartment. Just becaues things are "different" now does not mean that a mere child can just get what s/he wants because s/he will find that their will is not going to always fly in the "real world". Hell...many of these children will grow up to find out that the field they want to work in has a dress code or uniforms which means they cannot decorate themselves as they please. Better they learn young...
I don't think moderate room decoration has a thing to do with entitlement. People of all walks of life and all incomes paint rooms amd do home repairs.

The article did not say the girl felt entitled to a nice bedroom. The parents did not see a problem with it, and said it was okay.

A kid having a bedroom he or she likes is really not that big a deal in the great scheme of childfree issues.

Parents who have more money may be more apt to spoil their kids more. Parents who don't have money still want the best for their kids. If a parent who works paycheck to paycheck feels that a $20 can of paint will make a kid happier to spend time in their room, so be it.

Another side of this issue, having decent bedrooms whether kids bedrooms or adults add value to houses. Home buyers love well decorated spaces. The bottom line is that the paint and carpets and whatever for the kids rooms boost the value of the home. I don't think its entitlement at all.
June 05, 2007
i didnt have a tv in my room until 10 years ago, i didnt have a games system in my room till 2 years ago,

when i was a child i had no tv, i had books, and i am 34, i didnt need a tv, i didnt need a games system, and i bought them myself. i didnt have a computer and still dont in my room.. why do kids of today need tv's and game systems and all other crap, bet you grew up without the x-box, why do these kids NEED one, why do they NEED a TV,

and theresa home buyers love the rooms so much they rip it all out and begin again, i have seen a fully fitted kitchen a great looking house, ripped to shred because the new owners didnt want anything left of the prior owner.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
June 05, 2007
Theresa, there is nothing wrong with a child having living space that is comfortable and pleasant to the eye. You are right how homebuyers want to see a "nice place". My mom and stepdad got many suggestions on how to make their home even nicer when they sold in 2000. The issue of you saying how things are "different" now is a biggie. Many children do have entitlement issues. Parents are wealthier than in previous generations. That means more material goodies for the kiddies.

Don't even ask about working with teenagers as I did when I managed fast-food. Teen workers were fine until the mid-80's when I moved to Marin County. Getting one of these little asses from a moneyed household to do his/her job and actually come to work on time in uniform was more miraculous than the Lord Jesus walking on water.

At a car dealership back in 2002, it was the same and more with a teen girl who was the stereotype of "the spoiled only child", which made me bristle as I was an only child and NOT spoiled despite my mom earning a good living. I did not get everything I wanted just because things were "different" in the 70's/80's than in Mom's generation. My co-worker was always late, out of dress code, and nasty to anyone who dared to mention any rules at work.

Guess what her response was when another co-worker warned that she was about to be fired? "I don't HAVE to work this FUCKING job. My mother will pay for my car if I cannot handle working here." Oh yes...Er*n bragged how she had the best room in the house and her expensive clothing said it all. Er*n's parents really created a monster by giving her what they could afford rather than giving their daughter the things she only needed and maybe something nice from time to time.

Yahoo's site always has "news" about sprogs and their birthday parties that run into the thousands. My feeling is most of this generation will not do well in adulthood as they will expect their heavy material needs met by their parents and will not know what to do when Mommy & Daddy can no longer do for them...
June 05, 2007
mercurior Wrote:

> and theresa home buyers love the rooms so much
> they rip it all out and begin again, i have seen a
> fully fitted kitchen a great looking house, ripped
> to shred because the new owners didnt want
> anything left of the prior owner.

I've seen new homebuyers tear down an ENTIRE house to rebuild even though the original place was great! You are also right about "need vs. want". The problem is most of today's kids are bratty even if that is not exposed in print. Most parents do not want the world to read how their kids have nice things and are still little brats...and most of these tykes want more than cans of paint to "do" their room up!
I just wanted to point out that I am in total agreement about the absolutely spoiled and bratty kids out there today. I do agree that richer families that spoil their children and pay for everything create teenagers and young adults with a sense of entitlement who want a cushy lifestyle without working up to it.

However, there are people out there who were relatively spoiled as kids who grow up just fine. I would bet some posters on this board were spoiled kids who grew up just fine.

I was what a lot on this board would consider a kid who was spoiled. I had my own TV in my room, a nintendo at the time, went to private school, went on nice vacations, got a brand new, (but not luxury) car when I turned 17 that I still drive today. I will be 25 soon. I did not think I was entitled to these things, or even ask for them specifically, but my parents gave them to me.

I might have been spoiled materially, but I was always a very responsible, hard working kid. Since I was 10 years old I cooked practically every night, helped around the house, took care of my elderly grandmother every night while my mom worked, all kids of things. As I got older, I took on more household responsibility such as all grocery shopping, painting rooms in the house, lawn mowing, really anything that needed to be done, or helping out with projects that had to be done.

I had my first job at 17, 4 days after I graduated high school. I did not miss a day of work. I also worked jobs in college in food service. Everyday I showed up in my ugly polyester uniform ready to work. I did not screw around. I did not pay for my own college, yet took it very seriously, got good grades, and graduated with a double major.

Giving kids material things does not automatically make them entitlement minded bums. A kid can have tons of material things and at the same time be taught to appreciate what they have, and be a responsible person.
June 06, 2007
the thing is your parents just gave you the things, (i am assuming you didnt), but when they ask for a new car, a new thing, all the time, thats the entitlement mind. asking not giving.

i give rowan my fiance a lot of things, rings, jewellry, clothes, books, dvd's everything, she says she feels like a spoilt brat, but its MY choice to give her it. she doesnt ask for stuff.

i know one woman who always asks for stuff, money for new teeth, money for a party for her children (from a man NOT related and not sleeping together), money for a hair cut, money for this, new mobile. she ASKS for it thats the difference.

i give, because *I* want to, i dont give because she asks me too, thats the true entitlement mind. there is a huge difference, between giving of you own bat, and being asked. (small things are ok)

June 06, 2007
Theresa Wrote:
> I just wanted to point out that I am in total
> agreement about the absolutely spoiled and bratty
> kids out there today. I do agree that richer
> families that spoil their children and pay for
> everything create teenagers and young adults with
> a sense of entitlement who want a cushy lifestyle
> without working up to it.
>
> However, there are people out there who were
> relatively spoiled as kids who grow up just fine.
> I would bet some posters on this board were
> spoiled kids who grew up just fine.
>
> I was what a lot on this board would consider a
> kid who was spoiled. I had my own TV in my room, a
> nintendo at the time, went to private school, went
> on nice vacations, got a brand new, (but not
> luxury) car when I turned 17 that I still drive
> today. I will be 25 soon. I did not think I was
> entitled to these things, or even ask for them
> specifically, but my parents gave them to me.
>
> I might have been spoiled materially, but I was
> always a very responsible, hard working kid. Since
> I was 10 years old I cooked practically every
> night, helped around the house, took care of my
> elderly grandmother every night while my mom
> worked, all kids of things. As I got older, I took
> on more household responsibility such as all
> grocery shopping, painting rooms in the house,
> lawn mowing, really anything that needed to be
> done, or helping out with projects that had to be
> done.
>
> I had my first job at 17, 4 days after I graduated
> high school. I did not miss a day of work. I also
> worked jobs in college in food service. Everyday I
> showed up in my ugly polyester uniform ready to
> work. I did not screw around. I did not pay for my
> own college, yet took it very seriously, got good
> grades, and graduated with a double major.
>
> Giving kids material things does not automatically
> make them entitlement minded bums. A kid can have
> tons of material things and at the same time be
> taught to appreciate what they have, and be a
> responsible person.

Don't think that you were "spoiled", Theresa, because your parents gave you nice things. Still having your first car says it all when most of today's asshole brats would demand another one after college even tough they fucked off during those four years really making their degree worth nothing. Often, they are back home after college graduation thinking they are too good to start at an entry-level job.

I know one young woman who has had a ton of trouble with DUI's who got her good job due to her mommy working there. She was almost forced to quit lest she got fired. However, she got her good job BACK after the last arrest! Mommy arranged for that one with the boss lady. Another rant on that one... lurking I really doubt the young 25/year-old learned her "lesson". Must be nice to have Moo get a person her job despite no college or anything else...

Mercurior is right how it is very different to be given something freely versus demanding the goodies as most of this generation of kids and teenagers. Most of your classmates and the teens of today would balk and demand their parents' money before they wore the ugly polyester uniform to get the cars, Coach handbags, iPods, and other goodies. I've worked with enough of these assholes to know how they behave on the job.

One of my stepbrothers flunked out of University after my stepdad paid. He went back on his own but is now living off his wife --- he is a "Mr. Mom" to the baby born last year --- after he and the other stepbrother ran their business into the ground. The wife comes from $$$ and has a good job. Wanna bet that this guy expects his wife to do the cunt work of baby care when she gets home from that job? That is another rant altogether...
June 06, 2007
mercurior Wrote:

> i know one woman who always asks for stuff, money
> for new teeth, money for a party for her children
> (from a man NOT related and not sleeping
> together), money for a hair cut, money for this,
> new mobile. she ASKS for it thats the difference.

Does the guy give the things to this woman? If he does, he should demand pussy or a blow job to get something that he paid into... grinning smiley
June 06, 2007
he sometimes does, but she uses the what about my chyldwen thing (yes she is a breeder), she flirts bad with him, promising things which never acutally appear. she wanted to fly to visit her mother, but wanted him to buy her a suv, and him drive her a great distance drop her off, then go back homw and wait for her call to pick her and her kids up..

its the potential he sees, i think he is a bit of a maroon.

i said i know her didnt say i liked her.. hell i wouldnt even cross the road to put her out if she was on fire. if i had some petrol i may go over wink

i give because i want too, i rarely ask for things, and never anything expensive, which is unlike kids today

June 06, 2007
*MOST* of today's kids and young adults that I've had dealings with, up thru about age 25, are nothing but a pain in the ass. I am only 40, but it seems that today's younger people are so much more immature than my peer group was at their ages. Everything has to be their way because they are used to getting their way. Everything has to be a huge dramatic spectacle because they are used to being the center of the universe. They haven't a clue about life and think that one is going to just magically appear one day.

And has anyone noticed that they cannot speak? They talk in this rumbling mumble and run their words together. Their diction and manner of speech is deplorable. I cannot tell you how many times I've had to ask one of them in a store, restaurant, etc., to speak in a manner which I can understand.

And they cannot write. Their spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and use of words (or lack thereof), is a disgrace to the English language.

So instead of them worrying about what their room is decorated like, how they are dressing (most of them are more out of shape at age 15 than SO's 93-year-old grandmother), their meaningless social life, texting on their cell phones, or IM'ing with their friends, it would be wise for today's youth to start worrying about what will become of their futures. They're not always going to get their own way and they won't always be the center of the universe. And they damn well better learn how to speak and write because no one is going to take them seriously.

GAWD how I weep for the future of this planet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login