Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

interesting story (where can we get 'NK'cells)

Posted by mercurior 
interesting story (where can we get 'NK'cells)
June 28, 2007
(having problems in posting on main board just keeps redirecting me)

will put the interesting bits

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/womenfamily.html?in_article_id=464381&in_page_id=1799

My body tried to kill my baby

After three failed attempts at IVF, Julia Kantecki began to lose hope that she and her husband Robert would ever conceive a child.

"My baby dream was slipping away. I was 40 and fearful of shrivelling into menopause and a childless future," says Julia, 45, a former marketing director.

Robert, 56, had had a vasectomy 20 years earlier and IVF was the couple's only chance of having a child together.

Since her mother had had five children without a problem, Julia, who lived in Doncaster at the time, assumed everything would go smoothly. So it came as an enormous disappointment when she failed to become pregnant.

The worst part was that the IVF doctors couldn't offer any definitive explanation for the failure. But her experience is far from unusual - although many women assume that the wonders of modern medicine mean they will conceive easily with IVF, in fact the success rate is around 20 per cent.

But doctors from the Alan E Beer Center for Reproductive Immunology, in San Francisco, believe they may be caused by a woman's immune system going into overdrive and wrongly attacking her embryos as if they were foreign bodies

She was told that three IVF failures indicated possible immune problems. Blood test results showed that Julia had abnormally high levels of natural "killer" (NK) cells - thought to help keep the body from developing cancer - and harmful antibodies that doctors at the clinic said were attacking her embryos.

"They told me that my body was treating pregnancy as if it was dealing with a cancer and killing my babies before they'd had time to implant in my uterus properly," says Julia.

An added complication was an inherited clotting disorder making her susceptible to developing blood clots in the placenta, which could also endanger her embryos.

When women tell me they're always healthy and never get infections, alarm bells start ringing since it suggests their immune systems are working overtime," says Dr Raphael Stricker, who took over as medical director of the Beer Center after the death of Dr Beer last year

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: interesting story (where can we get 'NK'cells)
June 28, 2007
Bring on the NK cells lol. :yeah

I think the wannabe moo's body is trying to tell her something. . .

Slightly OT: I thought the IVF success rate was a little higher, around 30-40%. I can't believe the shit people will do to themselves for something that has a 20% success rate.

"My baby dream was slipping away. I was 40 and fearful of shrivelling into menopause and a childless future," says Julia, 45, a former marketing director.

Oh the horror! Shriveling into a childless future! Gee, menopause hasn't shriveled me in the least, if anything, I've gotten even fatter.

Once More With Feeling: If she wants a kid so badly, why doesn't she adopt? It wouldn't cost anymore than the three cycles of IVF?
IV fert rates vary from country to country based on local medical practices and the particular method used. Assisted reproductive technology, which is the more classic "test tube" procedure has a similarly low success rate.
JoJo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once More With Feeling: If she wants a kid so
> badly, why doesn't she adopt? It wouldn't cost
> anymore than the three cycles of IVF?

THANK YOU! All that cash wasted, and think of the great life she could give a child who has nothing. Oh yeah...but if it's not her own DNA, it's not "the saaayme". Uhhh.

I just saw this home improvement show with a white mom and her 3 year old adopted daughter who was black, and they were decorating the girl's room. The mom was so cool. She said she thought having your own biological child is way overrated. I wish more potential breeders thought this way. Then at least they couldn't bitch and moan about their inhospitable uteri or lack of swimmers.
July 02, 2007
In the end, when people are unable to breed despite all the theatrics and medical procedures, if they weren't so determined to "win" against Mother Nature, they'd sit up, thank the Gods and Goddesses that they were dealt the infertile card and start living life.

Instead these people coccoon themselves up in their little world of despair because they can't have a BAYBEE, romanticizing all the Kodak moments and what not, that they'll never have.

It's such a shame people can't be more realistic.
July 03, 2007
"Since her mother had had five children without a problem, Julia, who lived in Doncaster at the time, assumed everything would go smoothly. So it came as an enormous disappointment when she failed to become pregnant."

This "failure" is to make up for your rabbit moomie, Julia.

"She was told that three IVF failures indicated possible immune problems. Blood test results showed that Julia had abnormally high levels of natural "killer" (NK) cells - thought to help keep the body from developing cancer - and harmful antibodies that doctors at the clinic said were attacking her embryos.

"They told me that my body was treating pregnancy as if it was dealing with a cancer and killing my babies before they'd had time to implant in my uterus properly," says Julia."

Julia's cells are killing the cancer of breeder embryos. There should be more killer cells like those! smiling smiley If I had my way, IVF would not be covered by insurance and birth control would.
July 10, 2007
Here's some of my thoughts on people who engage in IVF from my blog...

You Can't Make A Baby?
Did you know...there are places in the world where you couldn't swing a dead baby, without hitting another baby who is on the verge of death? Huh. Imagine that. Places where there are unwanted children, and you a person wanting a child, really, Really, REALLY bad. Wow. Who would have thunk? So lets see, you put two and two together and you find out that yes indeed there are plenty of children in the world who would really benefit from a good home, and plenty of people in the world who would really, Really, REALLY want to be parents. Wow! That's great!

Oh wait, you want your OWN child. One who is made from your genetic material. One who pops out of your (or your wife's) vagina. One who is a special combination of your and your partner's genetic material. Why? Why is that exactly? Because you could never love anything as much as something that is part of you? And this is something you are willing to admit? If so, if you are truly willing to admit that, then I think you are a horrible person who should never have the responsibility to care for ANYTHING ever again. Firstly, how on earth did you ever manage to exchange 'sacred vows' with someone who isn't, say, your sibling? Does your partner know of your true feelings for people who are not in your genetic line? I am guessing, if you and your partner are engaging in the expense, heartbreak and trials of IVF, they do not know this particular fact. Marriage, to me, indicates a certian level of intimacy, trust and (egads!) love. An understanding that yes, indeed, one day you may have to care for that person in some capacity beyond a handshake and "howdy do!". Then there is the question of relations who may have married into your genetic line, how do they feel when you say "I can't love you really, we aren't related genetically." I am sure that good Ol' Uncle Larry will continue to be as friendly and jovial as ever when you drop that particular bomb at the 4th of July picnic.

Seriously, people who want to be parents should do so because they want to raise A PERSON to be a contributing member of society. Good parents want to do this, and good parents do their darndest to do this. Good parents don't care if that person is of their genetic material, adopted from another country, or the neighbor kid. Good parents are good parents because they will take the time, effort and worry to make sure the persons in their care turn out to be able to live to their full potential.

Think for a moment, are you taking the road to parenthood because want a person to dress up, who will totally be your friend forever, to take care of you in your old age, because everyone else does, because you were from a big family, or simply because you are curious about what your genes look like when combined with another's? If you've answered yes to any of these questions, for the love of God, Apple Pie and America, DON'T HAVE CHILDREN. It's a fuck lot of work. It's miserable. Kodak moments are like 1% of life. You don't get to sleep for like 10 years. It's expensive. It's a lot of fucking work. It is physically and emotionally painful. Your life WILL change, and if you don't change it, you will get the stink eye when you take your child to ADULT venues. You will do a fucking lot of work, even if you slack off. It's messy and dirty and you won't get to have nice things for a long time. And what do you get from that? NOTHING. There is NO GUARANTEE that your child will LIKE YOU, will SHARE ANYTHING with you, or will take care of you in your old age. NONE!

Do you think I am maybe just a bitter old woman with bad childhood? Seriously, you couldn't be further from the truth. I was the only child, and only grandchild on BOTH sides of my family for most of my childhood. Every holiday, birthday and family visit was a Fehlabration! All the presents were for me, all the cake was for me, and all the attention was for me. YAY ME! I also know that if I wanted to do the work of parenting, I would be a parent. However, I am a lazy wimp. I have no fondness for either work or pain. Thusly, I have decided for my own good and for the good of society in general, that I would not go down the path of parenting...because it is a fucking lot of fucking work. Reproductive organs, in perfect working order (I'll tell you about the thrills of gynocology another day) going to waste, simply because I decided that I would not want to do the work of parenting. Fancy that.
Poor widdle wannamoo...45 (*GASP*) and not repugnant yet?

Stupid cunt should be jumping for joy that she's not undergone an episiotomy, gestational diabetes or pre-eclampsia.

So she shits out some twat turd at 46 or 47. Stupid cunt will qualify for Medicare and Social Security when the brat would graduate from high school.

Fucking wannabreeds make me puke.
July 11, 2007
Feh, can you post the link to your blog, please?

I "thought" I had it bookmarked but I can't find it now.
July 11, 2007
Well, it's not always focused on child-free issues, and I don't write in it too often, but here you go...
http://fnord23.blogspot.com/

My most recent post is also about children, however, and I think it's kind of funny.
July 12, 2007
Great blog!!! Thanks!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login