Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Doctors Freeze Eggs of 5-Year-Old Girls

Posted by catmeow 
June 30, 2007

Sarah-Kate Templeton, Health Correspondent

Doctors have managed to extract eggs from five-year-old girls and freeze them for use when they are old enough to have children.

The scientific advance, which had been thought impossible, will enable girls suffering childhood cancers such as leukaemia to become parents in later life. Thousands are left infertile each year after undergoing chemotherapy.

It also opens the possibility of storing girls’ eggs to protect them against any form of infertility in later life.

Previously it was believed the eggs of prepubescent girls were too immature to be extracted. It was thought they became viable only at puberty by reacting to hormonal changes in the body.

Israeli doctors have, however, managed to extract the eggs and then culture them in test-tubes to make them viable. The resulting eggs are no different to those of a 20-year-old, say the doctors.

The doctors are part of the same research team that made medical history by treating a mother who gave birth to twins from embryos frozen 12 years earlier. The experiment demonstrated that eggs or embryos could be frozen for lengthy periods without damage.

Dr Ariel Revel, a lecturer in obstetrics and gynaecology at Hadassah University hospital, Jerusalem said: “We have developed a technique which allows us to obtain eggs even from girls and to mature them in vitro. We isolate eggs from the tissue and, following one or two days in culture, they are mature enough for freezing.

“The results are quite surprising. Since these girls are not menstruating, we would expect maturing them to be very difficult, but we have shown that they do mature. The cancer treatment these girls are having will almost certainly cause them to become infertile. Although this is still experimental, any technique that tries to restore fertility to these girls is worth trying.”

Revel will present the full results of his research at the annual meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology in Lyon, France, this week.

About 1,500 children undergo treatment for cancer every year in Britain. Seventy-five per cent survive the disease but many will be left infertile by radiotherapy and chemotherapy treatment.

The breakthrough has been welcomed by British cancer and fertility doctors. Professor Gedis Grudzinskas, medical director of the Bridge Fertility Centre, London, said: “This is very important because this is the first time that human eggs have undergone changes in the test-tube which normally take place during puberty.

“Prior to puberty the ovaries are not sensitive to hormones. They become sensitive to hormones gradually during puberty. This is a subtle change and it is amazing that this can occur in a Petri dish.”

But Josephine Quintavalle of Comment on Reproductive Ethics, a campaign group worried about some forms of in vitro fertilisation techniques, expressed concern that if the eggs were donated to a woman of childbearing age, a resulting child could have a biological mother who was only a few years older.

Quintavalle said: “Are we going to end up with a child who has a mother who is just six years older? What happens if the child dies? Could the eggs be donated to someone else?

“I don’t think this is the first priority for five year olds. Any intervention for a child going through cancer treatment is an added burden. I feel uncomfortable about this development.”

Doctors have previously frozen the ovarian tissue of several young girls and plan to transplant pieces of the organs back into their bodies when they are older.

So far, however, there have been only two reported pregnancies after ovarian tissue of adults has been frozen and transplanted. The outcome for girls is unknown.

Ovarian tissue could also contain cancerous cells. This risk would be eliminated by freezing and implanting eggs. Across the world more than 100 children have been born from frozen eggs.

Dr Hamish Wallace, a consultant paediatric oncologist at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh, said: “Maturing in vitro a primitive egg from a five-year-old girl would be a huge advance.

“Doctors wouldn’t need to worry about the ovarian tissue being contaminated with some of the original cancer cells and reintroducing the cancer into the body.”

Israeli scientists have also suggested taking eggs from aborted foetuses. Doctors at the Meir Hospital in Kfar Saba said aborted foetuses could one day become the “mother” of a new baby by donating eggs to an infertile woman.

A woman has her greatest number of eggs, about 5m, as a five-month-old foetus. By the time she is born, about 4m will have disintegrated. By the timea girl reaches puberty, only 300,000 will remain.

From then on, a woman will ovulate one egg each month and have few eggs left by her mid-forties. She will have ovulated about 500 and the remainder will have disintegrated.

The first reported birth from a frozen egg was in 1986. The practice began for medical reasons but is now being used for social purposes.

British women in their thirties who have not yet met their partner or who wish to postpone childbirth to concentrate on their career, are increasingly freezing their eggs. Although scientists initially feared the structure of the eggs would be damaged by the process, many now believe the procedure to be safe and effective.

Eggs are currently frozen using a process known as cryo-preservation, where they are placed in a storage tank containing liquid nitrogen. Scientists have recently developed a more advanced freezing technique, called vitrification, which causes less damage to the eggs.

This is sick! Also, people who ASSume that all girls are aspiring breeders suck.
Re: Doctors Freeze Eggs of 5-Year-Old Girls
July 01, 2007
It's not just sick, it's downright freaky.

Of course the fertility docs are delighted: it means more money for them. If I had my way, all infertility shit would be banned.

As for possibly taking eggs from aborted female fetuses: the same xtian fundies who scream about abortion would be first in line if they couldn't get repugnant. Ughh. two faces puking

What the fuck is the world coming to?
I'm not sure that this is such a horrible thing. I personally am not for a lot of woman doing all of this invitro bs. At the same time though, I do think that preserving the rights of kids with lukemia to have children later in life is only fair. If it is not an invasive, dangerous procedure, I don't think it is necessarily bad. They do deserve to choose later on down the road if they want children. At age 5, they are not ready to make that decision. By harvesting eggs before the chemo and various treatments preserve their right to choose, what is so terrible?

I don't know however, what should happen to the eggs of young girls who die. I will think about that some more.
July 01, 2007
but harvesting them, is or can be dangerous in itself.

what if these children will become childfree, what will happen to the eggs. will these kids know whats going on.

its scary, it relegates women to just egg makers, why have women aged 40 if you can implant a 5 year olds eggs into a 30 year old.. it is scary, it makes women more of a commodity.. and useless when they get older..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
July 01, 2007
I wonder if these doctors realize that certain cancers (including leukemia) can be hereditary. So, in the process of giving cancer-stricken children the chance to have their own offspring, they also put those potential children at risk for the same cancer(s) that prompted the mother to get her eggs frozen in the first place.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...since I'm a dumbass...but don't people with leukemia tend to not live beyond their twenties, at most (some pass away in their teens from the disease too, I think)? If this is the case, either the freezing of the eggs would be totally useless for leukemia patients because the females would pass away before reaching an age where they 'should' have children, or they may give birth and pass away shortly afterwards, leaving that child without a mother. This is just speaking in terms of leukemia - I have no idea about any other childhood cancers.
July 01, 2007
then they have spare eggs, and its a shame not to use them.. (sarcasm)

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
July 01, 2007
Cambion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong...since I'm a
> dumbass...but don't people with leukemia tend to
> not live beyond their twenties, at most (some pass
> away in their teens from the disease too, I
> think)? If this is the case, either the freezing
> of the eggs would be totally useless for leukemia
> patients because the females would pass away
> before reaching an age where they 'should' have
> children, or they may give birth and pass away
> shortly afterwards, leaving that child without a
> mother.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking too, Cambion. Why give birth if you're practically guaranteed to be dead soon afterwards?
July 01, 2007
Don't you know, Cambion and Medusa, every good breeder must leave behind a DNA souvenir, even if they croak soon after they give birth to it. sad smiley angry smiley All that matters to breeders is that they have the almighty crotchtrophy, not who takes care of it.

And we're the "greedy" ones!
July 01, 2007
catmeow Wrote:
> Don't you know, Cambion and Medusa, every good
> breeder must leave behind a DNA souvenir, even if
> they croak soon after they give birth to it. sad smiley angry smiley
> All that matters to breeders is that they have the
> almighty crotchtrophy, not who takes care of it.
>
> And we're the "greedy" ones!

Don't forget "SELFISH"!!!
Anonymous User
July 02, 2007
mercurior Wrote:
> then they have spare eggs, and its a shame not to
> use them.. (sarcasm)

That's along the lines of what I'm thinking. What's going to happen to all these eggs if the child never makes it to adulthood or doesn't want kids?

Also, with all the $$$ to be made with any breakthoughs in this baby making research, I don't trust any scientist who says these eggs are being frozen solely for the altruistic purpose of giving 5 year olds a choice later in life. I think the kids are being cleverly used to further the research. Especially if you consider that these kids may not have a very long adulthood. It may make the poor parents feel better about their ill child's situation in the short run, too.

So, who's going to dare question the noble scientist for helping the sick kids? (sarcasm). As soon as they're sure this works, they'll market it to everyone else who has an underage daughter so they can bank their' kids eggs for whatever reason strikes
July 02, 2007
Sickening, and what a waste of resources.
The doctors have NO RIGHT to do this. A five year old is not old enough to decide whether or not she wants a child. It's just assumed they do, of course. This is so sick on so many levels.
Anonymous User
July 02, 2007
That isn't science, it's insanity!

This world has gone mad. When I read that article, all I could think of is how so many people die needlessly. So many cures and treatments could be researched with the money spent on crazy- assed bullshit like this. When the Nazis performed human experimentation, the world condemned it. But, I guess if it promotes breeding, then it's okay.

Jesus Christ...
Just another of the many, many examples of "just because you can doesn't mean you should".
July 03, 2007
Ya know, after thinking about it, I'll sure rest a lot better tonight knowing that EVERYONE someday, will be able to breed, regardless of their health. Wow.
July 03, 2007
now if you thought that was sick, i can do you one better

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/2007/07/03/mother_freezes_eggs_for_infertile_daughter/5560/

MONTREAL, July 3 (UPI) -- A Canadian woman has frozen her eggs to allow her 7-year-old daughter, who cannot have children naturally, to use them in the future.
Melanie Boivin said she decided to freeze her eggs after discovering her daughter, Flavie, suffers from Turner's syndrome, a chromosomal condition that is likely to render her infertile, the BBC reported Tuesday.

Boivin said she made the decision with the help of her partner and Flavie's father, Martin Cote.

"What made us sure was the fact that I was there to help my daughter," she said. "If I could do anything in my power to help her I had to do it and because of my age I had to do it now."

However, critics have raised questions about the well-being of a hypothetical child created using the eggs.

"The psychological welfare of the baby itself has to be the principal concern," said Josephine Quintavalle, of Comment on Reproductive Ethics.

"Such a baby would be a sibling of the birth mother at the same time as the direct genetic offspring of the grandmother donor.

"In psychiatry we are hearing more and more of children suffering from identity problems, and specifically a condition called 'genealogical bewilderment.' Could it possibly get more bewildering than this?"

Anonymous User
July 03, 2007
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
> Ya know, after thinking about it, I'll sure rest a
> lot better tonight knowing that EVERYONE someday,
> will be able to breed, regardless of their health.
> Wow.

And men don't even have to be alive. Women either, if you use a surrogate or a test tube. As long as it's fuelled by money there's no stopping it.

Yep, some fucked-up brave new world shit.
July 03, 2007
There have been cases where moos have given birth while comatose, which proves that breeding is indeed a mindless job.
Anonymous User
July 03, 2007
Y'know, while I think it's great that these kids may have a chance to have kids later (I really REALLY don't understand what it is that makes people want kids but I guess I have to respect it as their right or whatever)....I have to ask, who is paying for this? It's got to be ridiculously expensive...and what if the kid doesn't use them later (due to death or CF-ness)?

And I too wonder: what happens to them of the kid doesn't use them? Who holds onto them for the 15+ years before the kid will likely use them? What if one of these companies folds, what happens to all those eggs they have sitting in the freezer?
July 03, 2007
K12144 Wrote:
> What if one of these companies folds, what happens to
> all those eggs they have sitting in the freezer?

I say make one big freaking omelet! smiling smiley
leaning toward childfree
July 06, 2007
That's a good question, Kat, who is paying for this?
Any little girl who grows up may have children out of a sense of obligation, considering all this money was spent so she could have one.

oh, Merc, vomit. I don't want ANY woman's eggs in my body, let alone my mom's. Giving birth to my own sibling???!!!! My father's sperm isn't far behind.

Oh, I just made myself puke.
July 06, 2007
Kat and leaning toward childfree, it is us who are forced to pay for this breeder bullshit with our medical insurance premiums.

If I had my way, birth control would be fully paid for; IVF would not be covered at all.
July 10, 2007
if dr dan is about, he may be able to help me.

on another board, theres a post about this girl, and turner syndrome, i was wondering was it a genetic problem (is it an inherited syndrome) or is just a mistake in copying.. a one off of a genetic flaw in the parents or is it a bit of both.

just wondering..

July 10, 2007
I call bullshit. BULLSHIT I SAY!
So a kid may be rendered sterile through medical treatment and MAYBE one day in the future, if they live, they want children. Well boo-freaking-hoo!
Seriously, there are many people who can not have children of their own and manage somehow to deal with it, either through adoption or fostering. Of course some people are arrogant assholes who think they are better than anyone else who walks the earth and MUST have THEIR genes live on, and couldn't ever possibly love anyone as much as the one they make with THEIR special, wonderful, magical genes. My guess is the parents of these kids are those kinds people, who are going to raise equally awful children who will use the frozen eggs taken when they were 5 to make more assholes like themselves. And that's just exactly what the world needs, isn't it?
July 11, 2007
Nothing drives up the cost of health care FASTER than uninsured parasites, fertility treatments, and neo-natal care of baybees born through fertility treatment means.

And the rest of us get to pick up the slack.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login