Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Section of beach goes child-free

Posted by mercurior 
July 12, 2007

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/2007/06/22/section_of_beach_goes_childfree/1135/

LAKE FOREST, Ill., June 22 (UPI) -- A Lake Forest, Ill., public beach has opened a kid-free zone designed for over-21s looking for some lakefront peace and quiet.

The northern Chicago suburb created the adults-only section of the city's nearly mile-long beach after several residents requested the move, the Chicago Tribune reported Friday.

"We're creating a quieter space for those adults that are in search of that type of atmosphere," said Sally Swarthout, program manager for the Lake Forest Parks & Recreation Board.

Some beachgoers said they appreciate the peace associated with a child-free zone, but some experts say the move is an invitation for controversy.

"To close off a space that is quintessentially associated with children and sand castles and pails and bathing suits seems to me to be a sad commentary," said Diane Geraghty, director of the Civitas ChildLaw Center at Loyola University Chicago. "It almost sounds like people want to create their own country club on (public) property

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: Section of beach goes child-free
July 12, 2007
""We're creating a quieter space for those adults that are in search of that type of atmosphere," said Sally Swarthout, program manager for the Lake Forest Parks & Recreation Board.
Some beachgoers said they appreciate the peace associated with a child-free zone, but some experts say the move is an invitation for controversy.
"To close off a space that is quintessentially associated with children and sand castles and pails and bathing suits seems to me to be a sad commentary," said Diane Geraghty, director of the Civitas ChildLaw Center at Loyola University Chicago. "It almost sounds like people want to create their own country club on (public) property"

It's a freaking SECTION of the beach, not the whole goddamend thing. They can still play at the childed section of the beach, but their lazy ass parents are going to have to monitor them...at the beach, where they should be watching them in the first place.

Since when has it become so TERRIBLE to have ADULTS ONLY spaces? There've been ADULTS ONLY spaces for eons and it hasn't been a problem until this crop of breeders decided that they can't be away from the goldensproggen for even a fucking minute, but they also can't bear to change their lives in any way whatsoever. Fuck the civitas ChildLaw center. Fuck them right in the eye.
So the beach is "associated with children"??? Pff.
In this culture, what is NOT associated with children? Even sex is associated with the kyddies now, as little girls are now wearing clothes for women...

Residents wanted this and they got it. Good on them. Maybe this will start a trend.
July 12, 2007
i like playing in the sand and building sand castles.. and i would be naked without a bathing suit.. not a pleasant sight..

and i am 34

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
July 12, 2007
As Frank Sinatra once sang, "Chicago is my kind of town!"
Huzzah, there is intelligent life in this world - and it's in ILLINOIS!!!!

Way cool!!!!!

Hopefully it will start a trend. Just shows you that occasionally, the childfree DO have a voice!

Rah!
July 13, 2007
I am certain as the article mentions how a childfree section of the beach is going to bring on controversy. Breeders are never happy unless they get a foothold into something that does not include them. In most of the United States, many apartment complexes did have "adult secions" or were labeled "adult communities" (these were not the retirement communities that are protected under the law). Of course, the laws across the US slowly changed as breeders filed lawsuits demanding that it was their RIGHT to live where they wanted. As a woman who was once married to a man who had rental properties, I *do* believe that a landlord should have the right to rent to anyone s/he pleases and to prohibit certain people from living on his/her property. Same goes for certain "minorities" who are trouble and feel entitled to rent in a nice area but bring it down with crime and their kids. I know THAT was very un-PC of me but I don't give a flying fuck! A lot of nice complexes and good areas have gone to hell once the new laws were passed.
July 13, 2007
Huh...I always thought the beach was associated with sand, sun and fun for people of all ages.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login