Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone ever seen this sect?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Anyone ever seen this sect?
August 03, 2007
I live in Montreal. On some occasions, in the metro, I saw a group of people singing religious songs and they were clearly from a sect, which I cannot identify. Usually, when they come knocking on your door, you can easily identify Jehovas or morons. This one is peculiar. I wrote to a non-gov agency specialized in sects, just to satisfay my curiosity.
They are breeders. All the women dress in floral dresses, that arrive under the knee. Girls too. The women all have long hair tied in a bun covered in black cloth (just the bun). Most of them drag children and/or are preggo. Men dress in shirt and khakis. They really creep me out.
By the way, we have a scientology "church" on my street (the only one here), but they will move to another part of town. How sad! We had precisely bought our house because of such great neighbors...NOT!
Re: Anyone ever seen this sect?
August 03, 2007
So I have a few questions which might help identify these folks...

Are they going door to door trying to convert people? or do they approach people on the street and try to talk to them about god there? or do they just hang out on the street, keep to themselves and pray and sing as everyone else ignores them?

Are they mostly college aged people, or are they older?

Do the women wear little white caps? Do the men have beards?

Here's my identification guide..
gents in white short sleeved dress shirts with black ties and black name tags, possibly riding bikes and carrying backpacks? Mormons.

people of both genders, in pairs, wearing regular - though slightly past stylish - clothes going door to door? Jehovas Witlesses

people of both genders, men with beards and sometimes long black/brown robes, women with very modest clothes and long hair, breeders, keep to themselves? orthodox catholics (we've got these folks in our hippy/party neighborhood)

college aged people of both genders, usually found singing hymns and praying on the street, may or may not be handing out tracts, may or may not be approaching people to pray wiht them...campus crusade for christers

hugeass families with a man who looks like a used car dealer (khakis, polo shirt or dress shirt), a woman who looks like a middle school teacher from the mid80's, and several dour looking children. all girls /women with long hair....no gents/boys with long hair...evangelicals.
August 03, 2007
When I see these people at my door, I always make a point to answer it wearing one of my Pentagram necklaces. I also let our very friendly dogs out on to the porch to jump all over them.

It's fun to watch them panic in their own little discreet way.
Anonymous User
August 03, 2007
No, they don't go door to door, at least not that I know of. They move all together, not just 2 by 2. They sing religious songs in the metro.
Women wear a black cap on their hair tied in a bun and dress in unflattering and covering floral dresses, with white short socks and tied black flat shoes. The girls wear the same, but I don't believe they are to have their hair done in a bun.
August 03, 2007
Possibly, the people you saw, Mrs. Ogre, were Mennonites from what I read about this sect...or even Pentecostals. Pentecostals tend to be more open when it comes to preaching and singing in public away from their church and home. The very few Mennonites I have met are extremely polite and do not bother anyone.
August 03, 2007
they could be a children of god sect thye bribe new recruits with sex..

, or it could be based on an iranian religion, which had "Perhaps, the only type of the headdresses having no analogy with male headdresses, are small kerchiefs of black fabric covering the bun of hair "

http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Costume&Textile/sogdian_costume.htm

or it could be the Karen (Kariang, Yang)

http://www.chiangmai-guideline.com/information/info-hilltribe.htm

Karen women are skilled in sewing and dyeing, and dress in white blouse-sarong combinations with colorful patterns or beads for trim. They wear their long hair tied back in a bun and covered with white scarves.

it culd be any or none, or versions or.. whatever

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
August 03, 2007
Sounds almost like a garden-variety conservative Christian to me (pentecostal, conservative Baptist, whatever), except the public singing/loitering. That part I've never heard of.

I bet you could get them into a rollicking discussion about femininity and "full quivers" and modesty and a woman's place in the home and submission (and no, not in the fun way) and stuff like that.
Anonymous User
August 04, 2007
"I bet you could get them into a rollicking discussion about femininity and "full quivers" and modesty and a woman's place in the home and submission (and no, not in the fun way) and stuff like that."

I bet you couldn't -- they're probably not allowed to talk without their husbands' permission, and then it can only be about pre-approved subjects. No "discussions" about differing opinions. They can only sing hymns.
Anonymous User
August 04, 2007
Oh, well, I meant you'd have to get them into the discussion by agreeing with them. Disagreement--especially any based on logic--would make their heads go 'splodey.
August 04, 2007
some people dont understand that you can argue, without hatred, without too much anger, you just want to put the view of the other people..

you have to be careful of arguing with such groups, unless you really know your stuff..

i was once stopped by a moonie.. and they wanted me to join.. till i started asking questions.. the children of god, actually bribe potential recruits by offering the women/girls for sex... so long as you join..

thats why jehovahs witnesses go around in two's they are not permitted to study the bible alone they much have a guide..

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
August 04, 2007
warning bad joke follows..

and you mustnt forget the joy of sects.. (sex)wink

August 05, 2007
i think i have found them.. the sect

hutterites.. or a offshoot of that http://www.hutterites.org/

heres some on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutterite where these women wearing dresses with white shoulder sleeves

August 06, 2007
I do wish there was more public music. I just wish it wasn't always the jesus crispies doing it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login