Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2403 Teenagers

Posted by KidFreeLuvnLife 
Re: 2403 Teenagers
August 20, 2007
Theresa, I more than understand the Spanish issue. I live in Northeast Florida but had lived in the Orlando area for over 14 years before my move to Duval County. The joke in Orlando was one needed a passport to go to Miami.

Also...a person of any nationality needed to learn Espanol to get decent work in Dade County (Miami area). Why the fuck should WE learn the language of immigrants? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? I am glad Jacksonville, FL does not have a large Hispanic community and the classifieds are rare to have a "must be bilingual" requirement for jobs. If these fuckers want to come to the United States, they need to adapt to our language and customs. Not the other way around. Fuck those Hispanic immigrants. I am sick of how we are expected to take it up the ass from them!

Theresa, have you tried staffing agencies? Sometimes, good positions can be found that way as employers may be frustrated with the usual process of running ads and not getting what they need. You can also "try out" a job before accepting it. I know too well how a job sounds GREAT until I get it and have been there more than two weeks.

Your dad's situation...

Gads, I wish I knew what to say. Losing a job to a computer is more than "awful". With the mining accident, some people are talking of robots doing the job. A friend asked how that would be funded as computers would be needed to program the robots and how these mechanical workers cannot make decisions as humans.
August 20, 2007
guest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sprogless Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Where I live, just
> > about everything also requires an applicant to
> > speak fluent Spanish.
>
> Fuck that shit up the ass with a splintery
> flagpole! I'm not going to learn that gutter
> noise that passes for Spanish in these parts
> because some dipshit illegals refuse to assimilate
> and learn English!
>
> These illegals are also part of the reason why the
> pay for jobs is so bad. Why bother paying decent
> wages when tortilla mama with the anchor baby will
> work for peanuts?

Tell me about it, Sprogless! Our country is turning into a third world nation. These fucking beaners with their sprogs claim to want a better life but they seem to want it exactly the same as the shit country they came from. Pretty soon we will be Meximerica unless this shit changes fast. Talk to the average American. S/he does not want these throngs of illegals over here.
Anonymous User
August 20, 2007
Theresa Wrote:
> The whole situation sucks. Not just for me, but
> for everyone caught in this unemployment bullshit.
> Its like I hear about more people losing jobs
> these days then being hired for jobs.

Theresa, my husband's been out of work for 4 months now, and it's the 2nd time in 3 years. He has his Bachelor's, but the employers want that plus all these years of experience, or they want him to walk in without training & know exactly what to do. He's never made a ton, I'm only talking 40k-45k, so it's not even like we have this extravagant lifestyle we're trying to keep up.

I work, but I definitely can't support us both. I go through my days extremely stressed on what the next day or week will bring. I use up all my energy just keeping both our spirits up.

Then to add insult, you get those breeders who say shit like "oh, that's too bad-how many kids do you have? Ughh! Yes, I thank the gods I don't have kids but that doesn't mean I don't have a fucking mortgage and need heat or food!!!

We have a little internet business we're trying to build up and I have high hopes for it, but that will take a while. I just want to get through each day right now. I'm certainly not trying to dump on everyone. I'm just saying I'm there & I know what you all are going through.
August 20, 2007
P.S. Theresa, I didn't mean to give unsolicited advice if the staffing agency avenue has been suggested to you before. I know how that feels when I was planning a move last summer that took place in January. I was not sure where I was going to end up and my credit is atrocious due to my husband who got sick and then his sickness turned into "lazy-itis" where he felt too good to take certain jobs after he got his degree.

A former co-worker did condescendingly say how I could rent this apartment or that apartment...even AFTER I had told her what my plans were regarding housing. I kept getting the fucking condescending answers regardless of this bitch not having to worry about housing since her father bought her her condo after she got SSI for a mental disability but still works a few days a week for the "goodies". I really wanted to tell this woman to "shut up" since I had NOT asked for advice but was mentioning how I had other stuff lined up re: where to live.

I just hope the job situation gets better for you and your dad...
August 20, 2007
I wish I knew what to say, Dusty. People get degrees feeling their future will be less financially insecure only to find the same situation than before the schooling. Starting a business is always tough. I hope the tide does change as I know what it is like to support myself along with another person.
August 20, 2007
mercurior Wrote:
> i mus admit i got slightly annoyed at the way
> people blame certain for things beyond their
> control, because i am in that same situation.
>
> i live at home, with my mum, i dont work
> (unemployed), well i do volunteer work for
> nothing. i apply for many jobs, but no luck. and
> sometimes i get looked down upon for not moving
> house to find a job. i think thats what she
> means.

I used to think volunteer work would lead to something good with $$$. Looks like I ASSuMEd....
Anonymous User
August 21, 2007
Most entry level jobs are about $30k a year, some as low as $25k before taxes.

!!! I currently make $19,000 as an administrative assistant! And I'm doing well--I've seen administrative assistant jobs advertised at $6/hr (obviously this was before the minimum wage in Michigan changed). I'm dead excited that my new job in data entry will be paying $25,000/yr. $25 grand for data entry!!!! That's a job I'd normally expect to pay like seven bucks an hour (although in that area, I hear parking is also $4 a day so I'm sure my entire income will be eaten up just by the expense to get to work and park there. I personally think that's bullshit; it's a government agency and I would've thought they'd provide a parking garage or something for their employees, y'know?).

Granted, cost of living is less here; $1,000/mo would get me a GOOD apartment with two bedrooms.

I tried to go the temp agency route myself...I signed up at three of them. At one of them, I signed up because I wanted to apply for a job at the library. You know, just an assistant thing: shelving books, etc. The library passed me up for another applicant whose resume they sent over because the other person had more experience. Shit, they taught me the Dewey Decimal System in elementary school, what the fuck more experience did I need??? The second place, I put in an app. They never even called me at all. The third was the only place that got me jobs: two days at a hotel of serving banquets and they called me when the agency downstairs needed someone. It was a place that did an answering service for businesses and they paid $6.25 an hour for a job where I would be working various shifts (including overnight), and they kept harping at the interview about how they want "flexible" people--which I took to mean that they wanted their employees constantly on call and if they called up Suzie Schmuck wanting her to work she'd better jump high. Fuck that.

I have been constantly amazed by employers that want someone to practically run an entire office (or something equally extensive) for six or seven bucks an hour. Plus they usually want a couple years of experience to go with it. But the sad thing is, so many people are out of jobs that they can get someone to do it...otherwise the job market would be laughing in their face and saying "yeah right, if you're paying that, you're going to get the lowest of the low."

My biggest problem, honestly, was the experience thing. I would find jobs that I could not take because of that--because hello, I spent the past few years in school, not in the workforce (college was postage-stamp-sized town and I didn't have a car; work was during the summers to raise money for the next year's tuition)...they'd only require a high school diploma and it would sound like the easiest job in the world...but they wanted three years of experience. For what??? A job I could learn in two weeks, if that?? I mean, I saw an ad for a college bookstore clerk that wanted a few years of experience. To stock books and run a cash register and say "the books for History 101 are over there"??? Are you fucking KIDDING me??? That's a BIG reason why people my age can't get jobs. We spent our summers at McDonald's and learned to run a cash register in like five minutes on our first day, but since we didn't spend two solid years at it we're obviously not good enough to do it.
August 22, 2007
K2144, "temping" has changed over the years. I have found that out as well but hoped maybe in Theresa's area it would be better. No one wants to be constantly on call or be told to be at a job site at the drop of a dime.

*Sigh*...I have also seen the classified ads for a receptionist to practically run the office and have all of these computer skills for no more than maybe $9.00 per hour. That wage will often NOT qualify a person to apply to rent an apartment as the requirements to rent at certain places is to earn more than 2/3's of the rent.

I saw one ad a few years ago where an $8/per hour receptionist job actually wanted the applicant to have a two-year college degree. Say what???? Yet...some employers whine about not finding "good help". I want to say, "You get what you pay for..."

K1244, the sad thing is that you are right how there are a lot of applicants for these McJobs as the job market is not that great. College grads from four-year universities will apply for these "admin-assistant" jobs that do not even pay $10+ an hour just so they can eat.
August 22, 2007
i was once sent for a job, as an admin assistant in a taxi firm, they wanted me to rebuild their computers, from hardware up, be on the microphone, effectively run the office, and they asked for me to do a work trial (where i work for them for nothing, so they can see if they like me) i think it was a scam. me to do the work for nothing, then we dont like you and your gone..

here temp agencies can get benefits for each person on their books. i am on 9 job agencies, yes 9, i phone them most days, but the person dealing with it. isnt there or on the phone, can i call back tomorrow so i phone and sorry the job is gone.

and i who have the qualifications, the experience the genetic inheritence. (mum and dad were both admins so was my brother), i am damned good at admin work. but thy want degreed people

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login