Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pope urges young to care for planet

Posted by catmeow 
September 02, 2007

By Nicole Winfield, Associated Press Writer | September 2, 2007

LORETO, Italy --Pope Benedict XVI urged hundreds of thousands of young Catholics on Sunday to take better care of the planet, saying the world's water supply needs to be preserved and shared to avoid conflicts.

Benedict offered a very eco-friendly message during an open-air Mass on the final day of a weekend religious youth rally in the pilgrimage town of Loreto that was organized by the Italian bishops' conference.

The Italian Church has designated Sept. 1 as "Save Creation Day," and as a result the Loreto meeting carried a strong environmental message, with each of the participants given biodegradable plates, recycling bags for their trash and a hand-cranked cell-phone recharger.

Benedict told the crowd that it was up to them to urgently save the planet from development that had often ignored "nature's delicate equilibrium."

"Before it's too late, we need to make courageous choices that will recreate a strong alliance between man and Earth," Benedict said in his homily. "We need a decisive 'yes' to care for creation and a strong commitment to reverse those trends that risk making the situation of decay irreversible."

He said water, in particular, was a "precious" resource that needed to be preserved since "it unfortunately becomes a source of strong tensions and conflicts if it isn't shared in an equitable and peaceful manner."

Benedict has been on something of a green campaign of late, lamenting just this past week the environmental impact of recent forest fires in Italy and Greece. During his recent summer vacation in the mountains, he spoke frequently about the importance of nature in rekindling spirituality.

An estimated 500,000 people turned out for Benedict's Mass, the ANSA news agency said, citing police. Most of them spent the night camped out on tarps and tents on the field down the hill from Loreto, Italy's most important shrine dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

The meeting was an Italian warm-up for next year's World Youth Day, in Sydney, Australia, which the 80-year-old pope plans to attend.

Catmeow urges all people to have fewer spawn and not use fertility treatments, which would save water and other resources because the number of people in the world would go down.

I would then give each of the participants bags with various types of over-the-counter birth control and certificates for free sterilization surgery. smiling smiley
Re: Pope urges young to care for planet
September 02, 2007
yes its called abortion and birth control, if these dumb popes hadnt of banned them from the "faithful" the world wouldnt be in the mess it is.. so popey boys.. (and pope joan), its all your fault muhahahahaha

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
September 03, 2007
Both Popes are fuckheads. angry flipping off

Not enough people take birth control. And...there sure as hell NOT enough abortions.
September 03, 2007
How about urging the young to stop breeding like demented cockroaches?
Duh.
September 03, 2007
Maybe the pope can bless some condoms and packages of birth control pills.
September 03, 2007
The Dope--I mean Pope--will never encourage birth control because he wants as many sheep as he can get. sad smiley Someone forgot to tell this moron that all people are not, and will not become, Catholic.
September 04, 2007
Save the planet, STOP BREEDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Annie
September 05, 2007
I've had friends/co-workers who were Catholic and by some strange myracle, only managed to have one or two kids. They either stopped having sex after birth of said kids or else, heaven forbid, used BIRTH CONTROL!!!! Even my dumbass ex-sister-in-law (a Catholic of convenience - when it's convenient, she's Catholic) had a tubal.

I don't understand why Catholics take any procreation advice from a celibate man.

I also believe in the words of George Carlin, to paraphrase, 'men have no business involving themselves in women's fertility, or lack thereof.'

And lately there's been a big hue and cry about the late Mother Theresa's having a lack of faith for a number of years. (Anyone could have told her, that you work among the poor and ignorant in Calcutta, you're going to be facing burnout.) Yet just like the rest of kneejerk nuns/priests, was adamantly against abortion, etc. etc. Gee, Mom, you think there would have been less poverty, less ignorance, if people would have had access to birth control? Less children dying, etc. etc.?

I also remember reading an editorial years ago, by a Catholic priest who had worked in South America. He was highly critical of the Pope and his minions ignoring the poverty of the world by continuing to prohibit any method of birth control. (Too bad he didn't run for Pope.)

Get a clue by four, you ignoramuses.
September 05, 2007
not all catholics , beleive in the pope. technically i am still roman catholic, but in practice i have no real religious leanings. and a lot of the people my age, definatly beleive in birth control.. i remember the aids panic, its just the uber religious ones, and they usually have women on the side as well.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
September 05, 2007
How about urging the young to stop breeding like demented cockroaches?

*dies laughing*
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login