Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

entry 2482 Book burning

Posted by mercurior 
entry 2482 Book burning
October 05, 2007
dear god, we have just taken a step backwards in time.

burning books, that should be a capital crime, punished by the death penalty.

if they dont want books with unhappy endings, ok they dont have to read them, and life isnt full of happy endings. whats next books with swear words in. dangerous stuff like talking to strangers.

why must books be sanitised for kids?

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: entry 2482 Book burning
October 05, 2007
Merc, this has been going with moos since back in the Middle Ages when *I* was in high school. I remember how Ms. magazine was banned in another school district because the mawms were so upset how their precious teenage daughters would learn such nasty things about sex. Moos love to find hook-ups for their teenage sons so they will not be virgins by the time they hit college but freak that their daughters may actually have an orgasm. Judy Blume's books, which often dealt with tough issues for children and teens, have often been on the 'hit list' at most schools. Evangelical Christians often want books on Wicca or other forms of paganism out of public libraries as they do not want religious competition for The Man in the Sky.
Annie
October 05, 2007
I've worked in libraries in the recent past, and the dumbest, most ignorant and most adamant about getting books banned are illiterate moos. Ask them if they've read the book in question that they want to ban, and the answer is usually, "Well....my right wing religious freak leader INSISTED that this book was bad." They don't want their children to be informed about ANYTHING (sex, eating disorders, whatever). They want everyone to be as stupid as they are.

I've also talked to dumbass religious freak librarians who feel religious loonies in their community have the right to get books banned (thank dog these assholes are dinosaurs and are on their way out -- via death!).

In the south, most of the librarians are not too vocal about freedom of the press, the right to read whatever you want, etc. They don't want to annoy the religious freaks down here. Most of the librarians don't support book censorship, but they're not going to speak out about it. They value their jobs too much.

It worries me when ignorant, dumbass white trash start talking about any kind of book censorship, because that's just the first step, the first foot in the door.

The analogy to Nazi book burning is apt. Be afraid, be very afraid.
mercurior (nli)
October 05, 2007
this is in the UK, which shocked me, i thought we had more sense, but apparently we dont. thanks to these dumb bitches.

books take you to different worlds, they open the mind to possiblities, but of course they dont want that.

will they ban the bible, it doesnt have a happy ending. wink the beast, jesus on the cross. unhappy endings;-0
October 05, 2007
A good old fashioned book burning will solve EVERYTHING!

I can't wait until these kids find out about real life from their peers, they are always so full of accurate information, much better than books.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
October 06, 2007
Annie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've worked in libraries in the recent past, and
> the dumbest, most ignorant and most adamant about
> getting books banned are illiterate moos. Ask
> them if they've read the book in question that
> they want to ban, and the answer is usually,
> "Well....my right wing religious freak leader
> INSISTED that this book was bad." They don't want
> their children to be informed about ANYTHING (sex,
> eating disorders, whatever). They want everyone
> to be as stupid as they are.

That is the problem with too many Christians. They do not think for themselves but allow total control of their lives by some asshole pastor or minister. Rarely have these followers ever read any of the books or seen the movies these control-freak ministers want banned. Christianity is just a larger cult.
cfhistorian
October 06, 2007
That is so f*cked up...I just read that and said out loud, "What the f*ck?" Don't these morons realize that it's the books that don't end happily that kids learn the most from? Like Merc said, life is not all sunshine and rainbows and happy little fairy tale endings, and kids need to learn to deal with that ASAP. The kind of "parents" who would advocate this are also the same kind that replace their kids dead goldfish instead of telling him or her that Bubbles passed away, and death is a part of life. It's sickening.

Book-banning is a personal interest of mine (could you tell?) and after an assignment I had as an undergrad, I make it my mission to read banned books. We had to choose a frequently banned book, read it, and do a report on it, as well as why it was banned. I chose Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale," which I'm hoping is familiar to my fellow CFers here. It scared the hell out of me, and now it's one of my favorite books. These morons are so ignorant...books are our greatest resource, and everyone should be reading them, even if they don't come with a happy ending.
October 06, 2007
http://www.forbiddenlibrary.com/ try this cf historian

This site features books some people consider "dangerous." Learn what people find offensive about:
Fahrenheit 451 - expurgated copies used in class...a book on censorship got censored!
James and the Giant Peach - promotes drugs and disobedience!
Where's Waldo - nudity!
1984 - "pro-communist"!
The Lorax - criminalizes the logging industry!
Zen Buddhism: Selected Writings - portrays Buddhism as appealing!
Slaughterhouse Five - foul language, "magic fingers," and mentions an almighty clothing fastener!

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
CFBitchfromLA
October 06, 2007
How can these lazy breedertwats complain about books without happy endings when they are supposed to be so damned busy doing TMIJITW?

Life does not always come with a happy ending, you braindead moocunts...get the fuck over it.
cfhistorian
October 06, 2007
Thanks for the link, Merc...would you believe that I actually have a tattoo of the Lorax on my left shoulder? I love that book and all it stands for, and while I knew it was considered controversial in some circles, I was unaware that it had actually been banned. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, eh? :-D
October 07, 2007
Wow, I am so grateful that my parents didn't shelter me when I was a kid. I spent many days reading Judy Blume stories, Nancy Drew, Roald Dahl, and anything else that involved ghosts, witches, vampires, UFOs, and werewolves, among others. I have great memories of being a kid with no worries and having tons of time to read. I don't think I was traumatized by reading "A Wrinkle in Time", "Dracula" or the R.L. Stine books.

Much like cfhistorian's experience with "The Handmaid's Tale" (great book by the way), I was freaked out by "1984", which I read at the insistence of my eighth-grade English teacher. I think more people should read that book and notice the parallels it makes with our time.

It's no wonder that the products of these breeders can't cope with jobs, stress, college, bills, responsibility, etc. They're used to having the world padded for them.
October 07, 2007
If they think they can only control their kids, it is only an illusion. (sp?)

lab mom
Anonymous User
October 07, 2007
Anyone here read Grimms Fairy Tales? I remember my mom laughing cause it IS so violent! Eating children is a feature in Hansel and Gretal(sp?) right? Do you suppose the brothers Grimm were CF?
k-man
October 07, 2007
If memory serves, some years ago fundie idiots in Tennessee tried to get the school libraries in their town to pull The Diary of Anne Frank off the shelves, on the grounds that Frank should have turned to Christ to help her with her doubts and tribulations, or some such related nonsense.
October 08, 2007
ahile ago i rewrote 3 stories, including red riding hood, hansel and gretel and tom thumb. with some cf and some cf endings wink

http://www.thecfcouple.proboards37.com/index.cgi?board=jokes&action=display&thread=1130616479 hansel and gretel

http://www.thecfcouple.proboards37.com/index.cgi?board=jokes&action=display&thread=1130754558 tom thumb

http://www.thecfcouple.proboards37.com/index.cgi?board=jokes&action=display&thread=1130752013 little red riding hood.

have fun

October 08, 2007
cfhistorian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Book-banning is a personal interest of mine (could
> you tell?) and after an assignment I had as an
> undergrad, I make it my mission to read banned
> books. We had to choose a frequently banned book,
> read it, and do a report on it, as well as why it
> was banned. I chose Margaret Atwood's "The
> Handmaid's Tale," which I'm hoping is familiar to
> my fellow CFers here. It scared the hell out of
> me, and now it's one of my favorite books. These
> morons are so ignorant...books are our greatest
> resource, and everyone should be reading them,
> even if they don't come with a happy ending.

The Handmaid's Tale is the MAIN reason why I got the second tubal after the first one failed which resulted in abortion. I had to protect my body, life, and choices even though I realised tubal ligations are not 100% foolproof but it is better than taking pills every single day and then wondering what to do after a couple decades of that method. Diaphragms and condoms were not going to do it for me. Forget relying on a MAN to get snipped as not all relationships are "forever". Nor does a vasectomy protect from sexual assault!

Evangelicals do not like Mitt Romney because they view his Mormon religion as a threat to them. Yet, some Christians feel he is best choice as he is anti-Roe vs. Wade, anti-sex education, pro-marriage, pro-family, etc. I really do not want this Mormon cultist as President. Atwood's book IS coming true. Women are becoming smaller. A Size 0 is something to be celebrated and envied rather than seeing something that is really not more than a childlike adult female. Besides women getting physically smaller, many women are claiming they no longer have ambition after childbirth or marriage. Another topic altogether...

It IS scary how a Zen book would be banned for promoting Buddhism. It shows that Christians really do run this nation and how we are not totally free when it comes to "freedom of religion'. In Bangkok 8, the novel had a woman who was with an American man who wanted to get big into politics so he had her read the Bible. Woman thought it was B*S and told him so. Man agreed and said he thought little of X-tianity but how he needed to "appear" Christian to get ahead in the American political world. So true...
giselle
October 08, 2007
Book Burning, My god we've sunk as low as we can get again.

On of the first things Hitler did when he got in power was to burn the books. deprive knowledge from the public to get them under complete control.

Uuugggggghhhhh nasty.

May 10, 1933 - An event unseen since the Middle Ages occurs as German students from universities formerly regarded as among the finest in the world, gather in Berlin and other German cities to burn books with "unGerman" ideas. Books by Freud, Einstein, Thomas Mann, Jack London, H.G. Wells and many others go up in flames as they give the Nazi salute.

In Berlin, Nazi Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels gave a speech to the students, stating...

"...The era of extreme Jewish intellectualism is now at an end. The breakthrough of the German revolution has again cleared the way on the German path...The future German man will not just be a man of books, but a man of character. It is to this end that we want to educate you. As a young person, to already have the courage to face the pitiless glare, to overcome the fear of death, and to regain respect for death - this is the task of this young generation. And thus you do well in this midnight hour to commit to the flames the evil spirit of the past. This is a strong, great and symbolic deed - a deed which should document the following for the world to know - Here the intellectual foundation of the November (Democratic) Republic is sinking to the ground, but from this wreckage the phoenix of a new spirit will triumphantly rise..."

The speech and book burning were accompanied by the singing of Nazi songs and anthems.

Over a hundred years earlier, the German-Jewish poet, Heinrich Heine, had stated, "Where books are burned, human beings are destined to be burned too."

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/timeline/bookburn.htm
k-man
October 08, 2007
We've been had. The Happy Endings thing is a hoax. See this link:

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/the_happy_endings_foundation/
October 09, 2007
yes it is a hoax, but whats really bad is, you arent sure whether its a real one or not.

look at landover baptist church. it is a hoax, but.. so well written that you dont know.

http://childrensbooks.about.com/cs/censorship/a/burningbooks.htm

so it wouldnt be out of the realms of fantasy that a group like them, didnt exist. and thats the scariest thing of all. after reading it with my cynicism intact i wasnt sure, so i erred on the side of it may be true

In early January 2002, Christ Community Church of Alamogordo, New Mexico, became the topic of international media attention. On December 23, the pastor, Jack D. Brock, preached a sermon on the topic "The Baby Jesus Or Harry Potter?". Brock stated he considered the Harry Potter books to be "an example of our society's growing preoccupation with the occult. The Potter books present witchcraft as a generally positive practice, while the Bible expressly condemns all occult practices."

Brock announced that on December 30, 2001, members of the congregation were invited to take part in a book burning, such as was described in Acts 19:19-20 of the Bible. At the bonfire, according to the paster, in addition to the Harry Potter books, "some burned books they felt to be a personal hindrance to them spiritually." Brock has stated that he doesn't understand why there has been such a furor about something that was meant to be a local event. However, the fact that his sermon and other book-burning related information is available in audio or print on the church's web site would seem to indicate that the church is seeking a wider audience

http://childrensbooks.about.com/cs/censorship/a/censorship.htm

http://www.sibbap.org/

October 09, 2007
Check out this link:

http://dt.prohosting.com/70s/nopc/nopc.html

Good Gods, I read all those books as a child and I turned out perfectly fine.

Parents today are pathetic excuses for a human being and aren't doing their kids any favors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login