Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Baby Shower Rant

Posted by LucyTrainWreck 
Baby Shower Rant
December 05, 2007
So, the guy I'm dating at the moment has a corporate job, and he was telling me tonight how the moos on his team invite everyone to their baby showers. Even the guys! He said how the women will gossip about anyone who doesn't come to these showers, and the gossiping could make someone look bad. Now, I say fuck what people think, but maybe that's because I don't understand the corporate office environment.

I told him that these women are just looking for handouts and that it is inappropriate to make people they barely know outside of work feel obligated to come to these events. He was like "well, that's just the corporate world, etc."...He said that many women in his dept. were having kids and I explained about how expensive it can get to buy gifts for these ungrateful moos. He gets decent pay, but he is under no obligation to waste it on this crap.

I attended the baby shower of a coworker once, but that was because we had hung out a few times, worked in the same department, and got along well. Plus, if you live where I grew up, there's always good food at baby/bridal showers. Also, this coworker of mine wouldn't have talked smack about people who didn't come, and she only invited WOMEN whom she dealt with daily. Guys (rightfully) feel awkward at these girly events anyway.

I don't mind attending the showers for friends or close relatives, but what is UP with these entitlemoos trying to ruin the careers of those who don't buy into their bullshit? I just had to get this off my chest.
Re: Baby Shower Rant
December 06, 2007
From my experience, the corporate office environment is full of women who behave like they are from the local trailer park, worked at a garment factory most of their lives and were one day plunked down in a corporate setting to work. I could tell you stories that would make the hair on your neck stand up. MOST of the people I work with here are great, few complaints, which is why I've been here 10.5 years. It's a big company so it's easy to keep a low profile and people aren't petty with things like who didn't attend a shower.

Sounds like a trip to HR is in order about the bashing behind one's back. That would be the day I'd put up with that shit just because I didn't attend a shower. My ass would in HR making someone's life a living hell. It's called a HOSTILE WORK ENVIRIONMENT and it's against the law. Maybe they need to be reminded of that?

Fuck those breeders and breeder pleasers. You're right, all they're looking for is handouts and attention.
Anonymous User
December 06, 2007
Don't get me started on the entitlement-mindedness of MOOS and the attitudes some folks in general have who work in corporate America. UGH.

Co-workers are not obligated to associate with other co-workers, and if you choose not to do so, some supervisors think it's okay to call you on it or punish you for it.

Whew! I am so glad to be working at home now! smiling smiley
December 06, 2007
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like a trip to HR is in order about the
> bashing behind one's back. That would be the day
> I'd put up with that shit just because I didn't
> attend a shower. My ass would in HR making
> someone's life a living hell. It's called a
> HOSTILE WORK ENVIRIONMENT and it's against the
> law. Maybe they need to be reminded of that?

My former boss was HR DIRECTOR and he forced me to attend every fucking "social" function, including stupid baybee showers. Otherwise, he would bring it up at my next evaluation and complain I was an antisocial bitch (or something to that effect), and I would get a warning on file. So no, sadly: you can't always rely on HR to stand up for your rights.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login