Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Major Financial Drain

Posted by mercurior 
Major Financial Drain
January 18, 2008
http://www.marchofdimes.com/prematurity/21198_10734.asp

In 2005, preterm birth cost the United States at least $26.2 billion, or $51,600 for every infant born preterm. The costs broke down as follows:
$16.9 billion (65 percent) for medical care
$1.9 billion (7 percent) for maternal delivery
$611 million (2 percent) for early intervention services
$1.1 billion (4 percent) for special education services
$5.7 billion (22 percent) for lost household and labor market productivity
The average first-year medical costs, including both inpatient and outpatient care, were about 10 times greater for preterm infants ($32,325) than for term infants ($3,325).

http://www.marchofdimes.com/prematurity/21198_15349.asp

Major Financial Drain

Eleven percent of newborns covered by employer health plans are born prematurely.

Direct health care costs to employers for a premature baby average $41,610 —15 times higher than the $2,830 for a healthy, full-term delivery.

Additional costs to employers in lost productivity average $2,766

On average, premature babies covered by employer plans spend 16.8 days in the hospital during the 12 months following birth, compared to 2.3 days for full-term babies. In addition, premature babies make an average of nine visits to the doctor's office during the first year of life, compared to six visits for healthy, full-term babies. All of this means time away from work for the parents. Mothers of premature babies spend more time on short-term disability (average of 29.1 days) over the six months following delivery than mothers of full-term babies (average of 18.9 days) (3).

The simple wage-related costs to employers of the extra time on short-term disability average $1,513. In terms of lost productivity and teamwork synergy, the estimated impact may be much greater: as much as $2,766. Either way, the costs to employers are considerable (4)

No one knows the total annual cost of prematurity to all U.S. employers, but we do know that the hospital bills alone are substantial. Based on estimates from the national Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project, in 2002, approximately $7.4 billion in hospital charges for premature infants, almost half the U.S. total, were billed to employers and other private insurers (5).

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: Major Financial Drain
January 18, 2008
I can't read this shit. I get so fucking angry I could blow a gasket. I'd like to see all the breeding should the taxpayer-funded programs get cut. I'll bet people would think twice about reproducing then!

And this shit of health care paying for fertility treatments is for the birds. How is that health care? Most of those repugnancies result in costs far above and beyond just the pre-birth well baby care and the birth itself.
January 18, 2008
thats $26.2 billion per year... wasted.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
January 18, 2008
This should really cheer you up...
Birth defects are on the rise... because defective babies, who ordinarily would have died, live... and spread the defects on..
(saw this in the Peach Section of the Toledo Blade many years ago)

We also may very well be breeding for infertility, although that may be iffy as infertility is a consequence of multiple sex partners. (face it, condoms protect to a certain degree but it is still russian roulette.. the bullet is still there, you just have more chambers)

Face it: if a 'normal' man or woman (no std's) cannot sprog, go to all this crazy shit just to sprog, has to get shots, etc, it is because her body (his body) is not normal somewhere. The genes will carry this infertility defect which may very well be passed on to the sprog. I would like to see SOMEONE do follow up studies on the sprogs of these infertile women just to see if they have the same problem when they want to sprog.
January 18, 2008
YES this is what i have been thinking for ages, the rates of IVF has increased over and over.. why.. of course the ivf groups wouldlove it, it means you cant reproduce without GOD aka dr.

whats the difference between a ivf dr and god, god doesnt think he is a ivf doctor.

have you noticed kids look more primitive, neanderthal looking. but not as nice as them

January 18, 2008
I'm sure it's been stated on here before, but the $25-$50 a month a company would have to pay if they covered birth control pills is nothing compared to the costs of pregnancy. The fact that IVF is covered makes my blood BOIL. I'm saving my insurance company tons of money by taking BCP correctly, being responsible for my sexual health and not popping out a chyyuuld, so I don't know where the hell their logic lies. I don't know why I even pay for insurance sometimes, because it seems that unless I get repugnant I won't be able to benefit from it at all, well maybe if I get in an accident. Those fuckers wouldn't even cover my gyno exam from last year because I'm on this crappy budget plan for students. I had to pay $120 out of pocket. I think it wasn't until 10-15 years ago (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that pap tests were covered...you know, because a woman's gynecological health isn't important unless she's prreeggnnant *sarcasm off*.
January 18, 2008
LucyTrainWreck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sure it's been stated on here before, but the
> $25-$50 a month a company would have to pay if
> they covered birth control pills is nothing
> compared to the costs of pregnancy. The fact that
> IVF is covered makes my blood BOIL. I'm saving my
> insurance company tons of money by taking BCP
> correctly, being responsible for my sexual health
> and not popping out a chyyuuld, so I don't know
> where the hell their logic lies. I don't know why
> I even pay for insurance sometimes, because it
> seems that unless I get repugnant I won't be able
> to benefit from it at all, well maybe if I get in
> an accident. Those fuckers wouldn't even cover my
> gyno exam from last year because I'm on this
> crappy budget plan for students. I had to pay
> $120 out of pocket. I think it wasn't until 10-15
> years ago (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that
> pap tests were covered...you know, because a
> woman's gynecological health isn't important
> unless she's prreeggnnant *sarcasm off*.

I think it boils down to our ancient laws. They have to cover pregnancy by law. Birth Control patch and some newer low estrogen pills are almost never covered. Why? It's not required by law.

Now, check this out. Vasectomy is almost always covered by insurance and is seldom challenged by a physician. Tubal ligation, on the other hand, is not covered most of the time and is very, very often challenged by physicians. It's not uncommon for a woman seeking the procedure to refer to a different surgeon (such as an internal medicine), other than OBGYN, to perform the procedure, simply because OBGYNs plain refuse to perform it.

It seems to me, that breeder's job is done here. You see, in their eyes, men, are superior. They know what they want. Women? Why bother? Are are breeder minded, baby shit soaked creatures. They should never and can never not want children, can they?

This shit fucks it up for us guys, too. If a guy is looking for a life partner, odd are really good, we will get a breeder. Most likely. If we had to put money on it. This is the outcome of our breeder centered society. Living alone is a sound choice of many men wanting to be CF. I hate to say it, but here, in USA, with a woman, a guy generally gets a sprog, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is not worth it. But hey, breeder chicks, do not worry. China has announced they have a woman shortage. They are desperate enough, they will take them. Us, here in USA, we know better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login