Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

real estate taxes and kids etc

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
real estate taxes and kids etc
January 18, 2008
That's my view also...

Having children is neither necessary nor inevitable. Those who wish to have them should accept responsibility for them, including the cost of educating them. I don't see why people who haven't got kids (and who therefore are not imposing any child-related costs on others) should be made to provide money to subsidize the education of other people's kids - anymore than they ought to be made to subsidize their clothes or food.
Re: real estate taxes and kids etc
January 18, 2008
I guess I'd say, if you don't like it, don't pay your taxes. Go research tax resistance and you will find out that it is possible. Not easy, but it is doable.

Atheists subsidize churches.
Pacifists subsidize war.
Folks who don't own cars subsidize paved roads and interstate highways.
Drivers subsidize buses.
Otherwise law abiding pot smokers subsidize jails and cops.
Anarchists subsidize government.
Communists subsidize private corporations.
Renters subsidize land owners.
Non-smokers subsidize tobacco farmers and companies.

And the list goes on and on...it's one of the things that happens when people live in a society ruled by a government.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
January 18, 2008
dont forget smokers subsidize health and education and other government things

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Indi
January 24, 2008
Long time lurker, first time poster here. This is an issue which has recently come up for me on another message board and I've been stomped all over by the breeder "it takes a village" mindset. I'm not going to say the board because it's actually a really awesome place full of very intelligent, thoughtful people. Many of whom are childfree by choice. It's just the rare few.

I created a thread complaining about how my local school district is going to increase my school taxes because they didn't get as much as they wanted from the state in the new New York state budget (though still, 82 million dollars more than last year on a county-wide scale). I basically said if you moved to the suburbs and can afford the McMansion, the new Saturn Vue and the swimming pool, you should take that $1000.00 per kid federal tax credit and apply it directly to the school district's budget and keep me the hell out of it. I shouldn't have to pay for your brats.

Here are some responses I received:

"I will never understand people who don't want to pay for educaiton jsut because "I don't have kids" or, worse yet "My kids are out of school!" That is not how it works. This is a Society, we work together for the greater common good.

Education prepares the next generation to be able to work and pay taxes and keep the whole damn Country up and running, and to ultimately pay for your social security checks.

In other words, Give the schools the damn money, they probably need it. If there's Pork, Attack that, But You have to pay for the schools, you have to pay for the kids, you have to pay for the future."

AND...

"We could go to a user-pays system for education, except it didn't work very well when we tried it in 18th-century England. It would probably be worse now that a literate population is necessary for the continued functioning of the economy (such as it is). Add to that the current generation's dependence upon the success of future generations (not merely for social security, but again, for a functioning economy) and the common benefits of education should be apparent. If still unconvinced, consider that the childless are parasites upon the childbearing, whose labor in childbearing and childrearing is necessary for the continuation of the society and the species, but is unpaid. Heck, if we're tallying up who owes whom, the entire country was built on unpaid slave labor, reparations for which are still yet to be paid by the beneficiaries."

I'm still seething to the point where I have no response that won't sound like a personal attack on these people.

GRRRRRR!!
January 24, 2008
Feh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess I'd say, if you don't like it, don't pay
> your taxes. Go research tax resistance and you
> will find out that it is possible. Not easy, but
> it is doable.

I would not recommend that! That is one organization that I will not play fast and loose with: the IRS.
>
> Atheists subsidize churches.

As a non-believer in organized religion, I do resent the churches tax-free status...yet they get to have their $.02 heard when it comes to my rights over my body, life, and sexuality. If the churches want to participate in politics and campaign for political candidates, they need to ante up and pay their fair share of taxes.

Eatonville, Florida had a deficit for awhile with taxes. That is because most of the land is owned by Christian churches. This means very little in revenue for the city. The only people churches subsidize are their own congregation members who may not be able to afford parochial school for their brood so the clergy asks for more in donations.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login