Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

real estate taxes and kids

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
real estate taxes and kids
January 24, 2008
This is an interesting - and challenging - rebuttal.

Here's my reply:

"Atheists subsidize churches"

Not directly; there is no tax I pay that specifically goes to fund churches. Churches are tax-exempt, but that is another matter. If a new church is built down the road from me, it is not likely my tax bill will go up. However, if a school gets built, it is extremely likely my taxes will go up. Churches are voluntary associations supported mainly by their members; schools are coercive "public goods" that we are compelled to subsidize.

"Pacifists subsidize war"

National defense is a legitimate issue of "the commons." Having kids is a choice made by individuals; I hold that individuals who choose to have kids ought to be responsible for them.

"Folks who don't own cars subsidize paved roads and interstate highways"

Not so. Roads are funded almost entirely by motor fuels (and vehicle-related) taxes; if you don't drive, you don't pay.

"Drivers subsidize buses"

How so? Is there a direct tax - comparable to real estate taxes - that forces drivers to subsidize buses?

"Otherwise law abiding pot smokers subsidize jails and cops"

I oppose laws that criminalize non-violent drug use.

"Anarchists subsidize government"

If you live as a citizen with a country, you're obliged to pay certain taxes related to things like civil order, courts, national defense. You use these "services" - and cannot avoid not using them. Very different from kids/schools in my opinion.

"Communists subsidize private corporations"

Non sequitur

"Renters subsidize land owners"

But they are not forced to do so; renters may choose to own if they wish to - or at least, are not precluded by law from doing so.

"Non-smokers subsidize tobacco farmers and companies"

How?

I don't see these as real objections to my original point...
Re: real estate taxes and kids
January 24, 2008
Why do each of your posts create a new thread? Are you clicking on "new topic"? If you scroll down and put your reply in the box at the bottom of the thread and then click on "post message" it should remain in the same thread.

Other than that, I don't know what to say. The way you end public financing of schools is to end the public education system and make all schools private. I assume you are fine with that, however I am not as I do not believe private corporations can run anything any more efficiently than government. They've never proven otherwise to me. So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login