Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

This is interesting

Posted by mercurior 
This is interesting
January 26, 2008
The comments are intresting, some childfree males and females married and single, could it be that single men and women are in fact saying what the cf have been saying

A man is a sperm bank, a meal ticket, a handyman and an early retirement plan,..."
http://drhelen.blogspot.com/2008/01/man-is-sperm-bank-meal-ticket-handyman.html

Reaons heterosexual men are staying single and "fabulous" according to this Seattle Times article by The Associated Press (Thanks Dan). However, when you read the article, you will wonder why these guys feel so fabulous. It seems that discrimination against single men is prevalent:
(http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/living/2004138751_singleguys23.html_

Experts say society still favors married men over their single counterparts, though. The most common complaints come from the workplace, where many say they are discriminated against.

"Especially as you approach your mid-30s and 40s and all your colleagues around you are married, there's a lot of unsaid words that go on and feelings of inadequacy at work," says Sherri Langburt, founder of the new Web site SingleEdition.com, an online community for happy singles.

Those include speculation about a single man's sexual preferences and, concomitantly, a difficulty in making friends with heterosexual co-workers because colleagues might question his motives.

Single men often say they are asked to work on holidays, put in longer hours or travel more for business. Employers often assume that without a spouse, unwed workers have extra time to spare, says Nicky Grist, executive director of the Alternatives to Marriage Project. That organization is for people who choose not to marry or cannot legally marry.

Particularly in the powerful worlds of business and politics, it's often all about appearances and presenting oneself as a stable man with a solid foundation, Grist says.

Perhaps as more men stay single, these stereotypes will change

the comments are interesting.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Re: This is interesting
January 26, 2008
Jim said...
This just doesn't apply to single men. I am married with no children and I have been asked to work longer shifts, overnight shifts and holidays because I have no children or family to take care off. I am employed in a mostly female workplace (a hospital) and female supervisors/coworkers can't see the discrimination. "But you don't have to cook" is the reason I heard for working Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.

Darleen said...
I remember interviewing for my first "real" office job ... my wouldbe boss, a young man in his early 30's was quite upfront with me

"I like your education, your attitude and your obvious intelligence. But I just don't hire young women. Why should I waste my time training you when you will just get pregnant and leave?"

sometimes stereotypes are accurate, or they wouldnt be seen as stereotypes.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Nour
January 28, 2008
Thanks for posting, Merc. I read most of those comments, near the bottom the comments are by men attacking feminism, and I agree with some of what they are saying. What I really hate though is the underlying tone of the ole refrain we've heard ad nauseam: Women=mothers.
January 30, 2008
Nour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting, Merc. I read most of those
> comments, near the bottom the comments are by men
> attacking feminism, and I agree with some of what
> they are saying. What I really hate though is the
> underlying tone of the ole refrain we've heard ad
> nauseam: Women=mothers.

It's going to be even worse when Hitlary and Bildo Clit'ton return to the Whore (I meant White) house. They are going to give the oral office (I meant oval office) a whole new breeder meaning. We are not going to be happy with George W. all of a sudden, but we are going to be wishing he would just come back!
January 31, 2008
Techie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's going to be even worse when Hitlary and Bildo
> Clit'ton return to the Whore (I meant White)
> house. They are going to give the oral office (I
> meant oval office) a whole new breeder meaning.
> We are not going to be happy with George W. all of
> a sudden, but we are going to be wishing he would
> just come back!

Um. Please, wish GW Shrub for yourself only. Personally, I'd be glad to have anyone, yes ANYONE, who is capable of reason and logic...I don't care who anymore, just so long as this damn cam-PAIN-ing ends.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
January 31, 2008
well that makes most of the politicians out of the running then.

i have never heard of a politician that could think with reason or logic.

todays politicians are out for what they can get, blair after being PM now earns £10 million a year.. on the lecture and other jobs.. strangely they are paid for by people who had a vested interest in the laws blair made in the past..

but it isnt cash for laws beneficial honest guv.. since he is no longer part of the labour party.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login