Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Family Vacation?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Family Vacation?
February 12, 2008
Hi all,

My wife and I are happily child-free. We (along with her family) have been planning a big trip in 2009. In all there are 8 adults and 4 kids between the 4 families.

After some discussion the other evening we as a group decided to look further into a "Beaches Resort" all-inclusive vacation.

From the look of the trip we initially thought that it would have both the tropical beach and romantic relaxation that my wife and I are in need of, and also be a good family outing for those with children as well.

After this decision regarding Beaches, my wife found some articles/forum posts indicating that these resorts cater quite a bit towards children and she is concerned that there will not be enough adult entertainment/recreation geared for us.

Has anyone been to a Beaches resort? Does anyone have any advice regarding whether we should back out now, or go along with the family event?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/feedback!
Re: Family Vacation?
February 13, 2008
Just my 2 cents, but the only way I would go on a family vacation is if it were with my brother and his family. In the past, I've been on a few trips with random friends with kids and it was hell. Never again. Family kids are usually different than friends kids, just my opinion. I can tolerate family kids better, maybe? Even though the kids you are traveling with may be well-behaved, there are going to be lots of kids there that are not, which is more likely.

Yes, I've heard the Beaches is VERY kid-friendly and very kid-oriented. My friend, her hubby and 2 kids have been to a few of them several times, they love it.

I don't really see how a place like that would be peaceful or relaxing for a childfree couple. No matter where you go, kids are there and we all know how it goes with places that cater to kids - the little brats are left to run wild with little discipline. I think a trip like that would be akin to trying to have a romantic dinner at Chuck-E-Cheese during a huge birthday party for a 5 year old. There would be no escaping the hell.

Good luck! smiling smiley
February 15, 2008
I traveled with kids ONCE with a former husband. We went camping with his brother-in-law and his family. God...what a fucking nightmare with the constant hassles and crying of the children who were not toddlers. The man was always leering at other women while his foreign wife from Panama felt she had to endure that shit. The lady was a nice person but did not realise what she was getting into when she married this guy who was in the Army and stationed in Panama when they met. He had originally wanted her 'hot sister'. I was so glad when this trip ended. Even my ex, who was a patient guy, had it with his family after the 3/day trip! I would stay away from any resort that caters to Famblees.
February 15, 2008
amethusos* Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I traveled with kids ONCE with a former husband.
> We went camping with his brother-in-law and his
> family.

Sounds like your in-laws were assholes regardless of their kids being there or not.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
Matush
February 15, 2008
I hate to hijack this thread but I also need some trip advice. I am changing jobs at the end of the month and I have a week in between the old and new job so I want to take a trip down south for some warm weather. Is there a nice resort that doesn't require more than 8 hours on a plane (I live in DC) and most importantly, isn't bursting with spring breakers?
February 15, 2008
poofy_puff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> amethusos* Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I traveled with kids ONCE with a former
> husband.
> > We went camping with his brother-in-law and his
> > family.
>
>
> Sounds like your in-laws were assholes regardless
> of their kids being there or not.

You're right...

My former BIL was a jerk. It would not had mattered if he had chosen a life without children. I felt sorry for his 2nd wife who he treated so badly. Even his 1st wife, my former husband's sister took pity on the lady and took her in when the asshole hit her. Sad thing is the woman did not feel she could leave and felt she had to stay for those children, who were taught by Daddoio Dearest to disrespect their mother. This kids just made the camping trip worse.
February 15, 2008
I'm lucky, I guess. My DH is one of 8 siblings, and even though they had their share of dysfunction growing up (mostly the father's fault), they are kind and respectful to each other and all THEIR kids have fun together even though they have their share of teenage problems and whatnot. We don't take them all camping with us, but I don't mind it at all when there is some "family reunion".

FWIW, I am an only child and my family has enough dysfunction (in my mother's generation) to feed a family of eight for years...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login