Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

morbid fear of becoming a father

Posted by mercurior 
morbid fear of becoming a father
February 29, 2008
i have no comment about this story,

Jail for man who slipped abortion drugs into wife's sandwiches to try to kill his unborn baby
Last updated at 19:55pm on 29th February 2008

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=522871&in_page_id=1770

Anat Abraham had fallen pregnant in November 2006 and refused to have an abortion

A "neurotic" millionaire businessman who had a morbid fear of becoming a father was jailed for almost four years after he tried to kill his unborn child by feeding his wife abortion pills he bought over the internet.

Gil Magira, 36, crushed the pills and put them in a sandwich and yoghurt for breakfast, and offered them to Anat Abraham because he did not want her 11-week pregnancy to continue.

After eating them she fell ill and was taken to hospital - but both she and baby Matan survived, and he was born on 20 June last year.

Today at the Old Bailey, Magira, of Hendon, was jailed for three years and nine months after he admitted unlawfully administering poison to procure a miscarriage.

It was the first time in 40 years a man had been charged with such an offence.

His defence barrister had said Magira was a neurotic "Woody Allen" character and suffered from obsessive compulsive disorder which gave him a series of bizarre habits.

Sentencing him, Judge Oliver Sells said: "You knew the risks in using those drugs without the proper medical conditions being in place."

"Those risks were serious. There were real risks, both to the mother and to the unborn child."

Ms Abraham suffered terrible pain and bleeding after she unwittingly consumed the pills and was rushed to hospital twice.

"All this time you knew the cause and said nothing. The bleeding continued for ten days and only after you had told your own psychiatrist was the truth slowly revealed," added Judge Sells.

"It was an act which was a terrible aberration. No one who has heard what occurred can be in any doubt what you were setting out to do."

In an emotional statement read in court Ms Abraham, 38, said "When I found out Gil had poisoned me I was in shock.

"I would never have thought he had such capability. I had lived with a person for 10 years who I didn't really know.

"The way he had acted seemed almost inhuman. He seemed to be caring, offering me breakfast and looking at me eating it, while he had inserted drugs into it ... he continued sharing my bed and my life like nothing had happened."

In a landmark case, Gil Magira is the first man to be charged under the Abortion Act in 30 years
She said that when she found out what he had done: "I really felt fear - fear which increased more and more when I started receiving threatening phone calls and text messages [from Magira].

"What made it worse was how determined he seemed to be to get rid of the baby I could feel moving ... Every day that passed I thought I had bought the baby another day to live.

"I feared for my life, I feared for the baby's life and I feared for Gil's life."

Magira sat in the dock with his head bowed waiting for the judge, Mr Recorder Oliver Sells QC, to pass sentence.

Earlier, Simon Mayo, prosecuting, had told how the couple had been married for seven years and ran two bakeries and a restaurant in North London.

"In 2004 they separated over Magira's refusal to have the children his wife wanted. She moved to Israel with her daughter from a previous marriage and Magira stayed in London.

In May 2006, Magira changed his mind and told his wife he wanted a family. She had moved back into his Hendon home, but the reconciliation soon broke down even though Ms Abraham fell pregnant.

When she told him about this, said Mr Mayo, "his reaction was to descend into panic. Magira tried to persuade her to have an abortion but she was adamant she would not."

Magira spent days searching the internet to buy the pills, the court was told. In February last year he made his wife a sandwich a few days after her first ultrasound scan.

Within an hour she had stomach pains and was taken to The Royal Free Hospital. She came back home but the following day, the court heard, Magira gave her yoghurt with her cereal for breakfast and she fell ill again and returned to hospital.

Soon afterwards Magira confessed to a psychologist.

Caught in a moral dilemma over confidentiality, she told him to tell his wife, but all he said was: "I have something to tell you, something you should know, I have done something very bad."

When she found out what it was, she moved out.

Three months later Magira took an overdose of tranquillisers, but when he recovered still insisted on an abortion, Mr Mayo said.

Mr Jonathan Goldberg, QC, defending, explained how Magira had developed strange habits at a young age.

"He has to tie his shoe laces in a certain way or ill health might fall upon his closest family.

"He has to count things in threes.

"At a time when he was still a virgin he believed he had contracted AIDS."

When a series of HIV tests showed his fears were unfounded, Magira convinced himself the doctors were mistaken.

Mr Goldberg said Magira, who refuses to say certain words including "mathematics", was "one of life's great eccentrics".

"At a the time when he was 18 and he had some minor genital operation he convinced himself that a semen sample had been stolen by the hospital and used to impregnate strange women."

Magira even hired a private detective to try and track down the missing sperm and his wife bought him a tee-shirt with the word "nutter" written across it.

He believed he was not "man enough" to father a child and was "unworthy".

His wife was the dominant character in the relationship and had agreed not to have children before they married, the QC said.

Magira had been a virgin before their wedding night and she was more of a mother to him than a wife.

"The root of what happened was, what was plainly a thoroughly destructive relationship between this man and his wife which has thankfully completely and irrevocably over," Mr Goldberg said.

The court heard Magira owns two Kosher bakery shops and a highly successful restaurant called Lemonade in Hendon.

Ms Abraham went to the police and Magira was charged under Section 58 of the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
Re: morbid fear of becoming a father
February 29, 2008
DAAAAAAAMM!! Nothing more to be written..........it's obvious what his M.O. was......
Nour
February 29, 2008
OK, Dude is in his thirties. I think he could have easily gotten the snip. What did he think was going to happen when he had sex with her?
February 29, 2008
Wow, this guy sounds like a real gem. I hope the mother moves far away from the guy so the kid isn't raised around someone so nuts. If he's got no issues poisoning his partner, who is to say he wouldn't try to hurt the kid once it was born?

Thi is the second or third news story pertaining to men obtaining abortion pills and sliping them to their pregnant partners in attempts to end the pregnancies in the last year...umm, if these guys don't want kids, why can't they look into sterilization? What this guy did is more than just slipping his girlfriend pennyroyal tea laced with extra-extra vitamin C - he could easily have killed her. If taken wrong, pills that induce miscarriage can kill the woman.
The kyd's name is "Matan"? What is that, the name of a superhero? "Da da da da da da da da da da daMatan!" (Apologies to Batman fans.) Or maybe a plant? "Honey, we need to trim the matan by the door."
March 03, 2008
I dunno...this is terrible, but it kind of sounds like something similar would have happened eventually. It's what happens when you try to force people into parenting.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
**umm, if these guys don't want kids, why can't they look into sterilization? What this guy did is more than just slipping his girlfriend pennyroyal tea laced with extra-extra vitamin C - he could easily have killed her. If taken wrong, pills that induce miscarriage can kill the woman.**

Well put, Cambion.

The myth that sterilization makes you less of man is alive and well in the modern age.
I remember a colleague of mine, a guy about 28 years old. He was Filipino, married, and already had three kids! But he was a cool dude. Anyway, he needed to take off for a day or two and had no problem telling his boss (male) that he was going in for the snip. He and his wife agreed that it would be easier if he got fixed instead of her, he told me later.

Now I wouldn’t have told my boss that, if I were him. My friend was very upfront about all this. I was horrified when his boss told another supervisor (also male), and they were saying emasculating shit and teasing him mercilessly about it. They were like, “I can’t believe he’s getting a vasectomy.” My friend shrugged it off. But I was getting more and more pissed because as the date approached, the ribbing got worse. What were they doing, trying to talk him out of it? His boss told several male supervisors about it, actually. They would rib him in front of me because they considered me “one of the guys.” One of them asked me “What do you think of this, Nour?” And I said, “He’s taking responsibility for himself like a REAL man.” That shut them up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login