Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

stupid Moomy rebuttals to Burkett's CF book

Posted by guest 
A few quotes from leaders of the National Parenting Association who were bashing statements in Elinor Burkett's book, The Baby Boon...

"This is pernicious, it's brand-new, it's gaining traction," she bristles, as she proceeds to take "Baby Boon" apart fact by fact. Yes, there is a new per-child tax credit, she says, ticking her objections off on her fingers, but that paltry $500 hardly "redistributes the nation's wealth to those with children," as Burkett claims. "The fact is that our tax code has tilted in favor of those without children," she counters, and because the standard dependent deduction has decreased as a percentage of income, parents are getting far less help from the government than they did a generation ago.

"That deduction," she fumes, "is one of the things she (Burkett) harps on because it's one of the few things you can hang your hat on because it's one of the few things parents do get." But look at the cost side of the balance sheet, she says. She points out that a two-parent household with an income of up to $62,000 a year will spend about $160,000 to feed, clothe and shelter a child until the age of 18. "And this figure doesn't even include college tuition," she adds. It also doesn't include income lost by women who have children. Quoting data from a 1998 study, Hewlett says that childless women now earn 90 percent of what their male counterparts earn, while mothers earn only 73 percent.

Me: Well, whether or not the tax credit has decreased over time is irrelevant. Burkett's point was that parents shouldn't be getting ANY special tax perks because they CHOSE to breed and we, the CF, shouldn't be paying for their CHOICE. Idiot.

Lisa Benenson, the editor in chief of Working Mother magazine, agrees: "The vast majority of people in this country do not have flex time, do not get to go home early." As for benefits packages, she says, childless workers are not alone in not using all available benefits. "Do you deny someone a benefit just because you can't take advantage of that benefit? Do you deny someone mental health coverage because you don't need mental health coverage? If the person at the desk next to you gets cancer, do you think of them as 'earning' more because their health dollar costs are higher?"

Me again: Ummmmm, again, it was a CHOICE to breed. Last I checked, I don't think many people CHOOSE to be mentally ill, or get cancer. Do these people have brains? Talk about warping reality to make a case for a pathetic cause.
Here's another gem/quote from the queen of the parents....

"Hewlett, not surprisingly, sees progress where Gill sees pandering. Framing policies in terms of children, she says, is the only way to challenge the belief at the core of the "child free" worldview -- that caring for children is in no way an obligation of the childless. The dismissal of parenting as a "choice" and the concomitant belief that only parents are responsible for the stress, the cost and the complications of that choice is "outrageous," Hewlett says. "This assumes that having a child is the moral equivalent of buying a boat or getting a manicure," she says. "True, not having children is an option for each individual. In some cases it is an honorable choice. But childlessness is not a choice for society."

Me: How is having children an honorable good-deed from which all society benefits? How is childlessness "not a choice for society"? It really is possible for all of us to choose not to breed. So we all go extinct... so what?
Re: stupid Moomy rebuttals to Burkett's CF book
March 14, 2008
I got the book from www.amazon.com as soon as it came out. I wanted it that badly and the mainstream stores did not have the title in stock. I am certain that is to keep the moo shoppers from flipping out. Ms. Burkett has gotten nothing but bad press since the book's publication in 2000. The book did not even make it to the Bargain Tables at most bookstores. That is how bad the moos made it for the author.

I, for one, am tired of how breeders scream how much they have to spend when it comes to raising and paying for a child. If I earned $62 grand a year, I would feel like I was fucking rich. Odd how these breeder sows act like they are so po' with that kind of money. It is like that thread I started re: the single RN moo who cries she has no $$$ but has a benefit to get her some cash. She goes and spends it on clothes and a PC for her teen.

No one told them to breed. If these people did it for religion and felt pressed, that is their problem for believing in the garbage the Church teaches re: contraception, abortion, and not having kids. It is about time that people think for themselves rather than up the Church's #'s with large families that hurt the kids as well as the marriages. Most large families have trouble with the stronger siblings bullying the weaker kids. Moo is too worn out to do anything while Daddio "works late".

Society is not benefiting from breeding. Most of today's kids can barely graduate high school and are flunking the requirement tests left & right. Good gods, I remember a dumb little twat who allowed herself to be photographed for the local paper years ago and admitted to having to repeat 8th grade for the third time instead of being embarrassed. I was stunned at how this 15/year-old had no trouble showing her face to all of Central Florida of how she is a fuck-up in school.

Kids are getting stupider because parents refuse to hold them accountable. Our taxes for the schools are wasted. More subdivisions are being built along with more schools. Taxes are getting higher yet young adults cannot do much of anything. They cannot even work a minimum-wage job that well so how can they expect to do better. Most just look at you if they are asked to actually do some work on the job.

Re: tax deductions, I am tired of so many things no longer being allowed as write-off's while a breeder-cunt gets her reward from the IRS and government for doing nothing more than any animal can do: shit out a baby. Children stopped being useful once the agricultural era ended and those extra hands for a farm were no longer an issue. Kids are a drain on society and we are not reaping any benefits from breeding.
March 14, 2008
amethusos* Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> I, for one, am tired of how breeders scream how
> much they have to spend when it comes to raising
> and paying for a child. If I earned $62 grand a
> year, I would feel like I was fucking rich. Odd
> how these breeder sows act like they are so po'
> with that kind of money. It is like that thread I
> started re: the single RN moo who cries she has no
> $$$ but has a benefit to get her some cash. She
> goes and spends it on clothes and a PC for her
> teen.
>
>

I definitely agree. My mom and dad figured out a way to make this work and they never acted like they were entitled to tons of money. They both had very blue-collar jobs and we were probably at the lower end of working class, but we were never hungry or homeless. My brother and I wore hand-me-down clothes, or clothes purchased at K-Mart. I used to get so excited when my aunt from across the street would show up with a bag of clothes my older cousin grew out of! My parents rented half of a double block (duplex) until they were financially ready to put a down payment on a house when I was about 11. My dad always drove old cars that he fixed himself. We had little or no junk food in the house, and going out to eat was considered a special treat or a luxury.

Oh, and college...My parents offered to help me, but I had to pay for a lot of the costs myself. They took out loans to cover what my generous scholarship and federal loans didn't. I had to pay for my own books, supplies, instrumental repairs, gas/car insurance, etc. Also, I lived at home so we wouldn't have to spend money on housing. They would have done none of this if I wasn't a responsible person who got decent grades in high school and stayed out of trouble. I realize how lucky I am, because some of my friends' parents didn't have the money or desire to help them with college-financially or providing a place to live.

Why are these parents whining about the costs of college, when Princess can easily find cheaper ways to accomplish a degree? Some people take classes at community college for a year or two and transfer (or get an associate's in a vocational/technical field), but I guess that's beneath some of these entitlesprogs.
March 14, 2008
Here it is on Amazon.com with 4 1/2 (of 5) stars: http://tinyurl.com/2fdv3f

You can get a used copy for as low as 39 cents + shipping.

Keep working more hours, CF people! Millions of breeders depend on us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login