Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Reasoned Discussion About IVF/ART

Posted by Feh 
A Reasoned Discussion About IVF/ART
March 25, 2008
I fail to see why IVF should be paid for by insurance, especially considering the fact that in some states laws had to be passed to force insurance companies to cover contraception and as far as I know, very few insurance companies cover the costs of abortion. Having a child is a CHOICE everyone makes, or doesn't. Having a child is a major strain on the health of the mother. Having a chid is bringing a new, non-paying member into the insurance pool, driving up the costs for all existing members. No one NEEDS to have a child to maintain their health, and I don't know of a single instance where a person died from infertility.

I personally feel IVF is just a huge money making scam run by evil corporate doctors to dupe infertile couples into getting so focused on making a baby, they forget all remaining positive aspects of their lives. Yes, that was meant to be inflammatory. A couple pays x-thousands of dollars for the CHANCE to have a baby that is healthy. If that baby doesn't come to fruition, they are given the opportunity to spend more thousands of dollars to try again...and again...and again. Marriages break up over it, people live in constant misery because of it, is that a good thing?

Why doesn't the clinic offer counseling to people who have failed at IVF to help them accept their infertility and move on? Because people who can deal with their infertility don't give money to the clinic.

Here's a news flash: Having children is expensive, no matter how you manage it. If you aren't prepared to pay, and you will, you might want to rethink that life choice.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Anonymous User
Re: A Reasoned Discussion About IVF/ART
March 25, 2008
I definitely agree with you on that. Especially due to the fact that it's bringing a new, non-paying member who has a much greater chance of having health problems into the insurance pool -- driving the costs up even more.

It's an even bigger s-c-a-m (the filter doesn't like this word) than you think, because evil corporate medical folks make even more money off of the ones born sickly -- and there's still a good chance that the parents will try again to get their perfect little dream child.

And, you're right on the money about the counseling thing -- if they help people move on, then the people will move on! What chance for profit is there in that?

Yes, having children is expensive -- but even if that's not enough to curtail your desire, remember that children are a tool of 'the man' to keep you trapped in his system.
Re: A Reasoned Discussion About IVF/ART
March 26, 2008
Feh, I couldn't agree with you more. This is a VERY sore subject for me.

They don't want you "playing GAWD" by having an abortion, yet it's ok for others to do it in the form of IVF, extreme life-saving interventions for doomed babies, and in a round-about way, Viagara.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login