Advanced

More assumptions that parent = more mature

Posted by randomcfchick 
Anonymous User
Re: More assumptions that parent = more mature
December 28, 2012
Snark Shark
FIVE?? :goggle

Yup, and I’m number four. My older siblings have a different father, however.
December 30, 2012
strange aeons
paragon schnitzophonic
If you aren't mature and responsible when you don't have kids, you aren't going to magically become so after having kids. Look at all the idiot Moos who kill their kids and try to foist the responsibility on somebody or something else and the Moos who defend them.

This is why the "you aren't mature until you've had a chyuld" bingo annoys me so much. Do the people that say this realise that they've basically admitted to being immature when they undertook the MASSIVE decision to create and raise another human? A child "raising" another child is never going to work, and breeders are nothing more than overgrown children.

Hmm.. If they were immature before they had children but are immature no longer.. Isn't having children a hallmark of immaturity? Also, if this be case, us not having children denotes a presence of maturity to begin with. As we need not fix what is not broken. Your move, breeders.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So.. We know that food and water are running out, with overpopulation and all... Yet people keep on poppin' out those babies! I guess they want to have their baby and eat it too...

My top reason is that parenting gives you a free license to be selfish based purely on the fact that you're being selfish for an emanation of your own self. The illusion that what you do to benefit your children benefits them solely is a fallacy. Every parent benefits from the benefits that their children receive. Henceforth, it gives one a license to perpetuate a dog-eat-dog mentality that I perceive to be amoral. Parents say that their children are their greatest loves, what they forget to add is that they are their ONLY loves and only because their children are a reflection of themselves. I prefer to be able to love multiple people and have lasting relationships of many types and possess the essential core value of empathy for all than to restrict myself to an echo chamber of ego-masturbation and self-serving chicanery.

In short: Not parenting makes you a better person.
Anonymous User
December 30, 2012
Hmmm....I don't know....

I feel like I'm less mature than my parent friends, but I'm also much more organised and much happier with life in general. I had a lot of things on my to-do list when I was younger, and having children never appeared on it. I'm now getting through that to-do list without the hindrance of kids.

I wanted to travel...check
I wanted to do something to help others...check
I wanted to work a boring job for a few years...check

The only thing that holds me back right now is the dog, and she won't for much longer. As soon as she gets her pet passport, she can go wherever I go!

I feel like i'm less mature, but more wise. I can see things happening around me and know when to take action, rather than over-reacting because I've got a kid to be responsible for. Yes, I am responsible for the dog, but she's a case of 'pick her up' or clip her lead on and we're ready to go! No worrying about special food, or bottles or nappies or whatever it is that parunts have to stuff into bags. The dog and I are off!

Maybe its to do with the idea of what maturity is. I see maturity as being responsible for your own home (not got one yet), paying the bills, generally being an adult. I'm still well in the 'no home, no bills' stage. I live on my own here in China, but the University have to provide living space and pay for utilities (it's a government thing, to prove that the University makes enough money to be responsible for a foreign teacher).

It's a strange one. Do I want to be more mature like they are? Nope. I'm quite happy changing my plans at the last minute, or sitting still and enjoying the scenery. I see life as an adventure, if you don't live it, you'll coast to the ending without a good closing chapter.
December 31, 2012
Snark Shark

-I have 3 stuffed penguins, so I possibly collect those, too! bouncing and laughing

squee!!! do they remind you of your prey? grinning smiley
December 31, 2012
drake
Yeah, I never played with pink girl shit when I was a kid. If dolls/barbies were given to me, they ended up disected.

grinning smiley

You too, huh?

Dolls spent 98 percent of their time face-down in the bottom of my toy basket. Often I'd take their clothes and put them on my stuffed animals. Any role played by the dolls was as a 'participant'...a guest at my tea party, a victim saved by superhero me, a 'skydiver' at the end of a string dropped from my second-story bedroom window...but never as a baby in a playing-house game.
Anonymous User
December 31, 2012
I used to play Cabbage Patch Kids Wrestling and Drunkin' Barbies when I was a kid. The Kids always got their asses kicked by this big purple-haired doll named Ashley (forever the World Champion) and Barbie crashed into many walls and ran countless dolls over.
December 31, 2012
randomcfchick
drake
Yeah, I never played with pink girl shit when I was a kid. If dolls/barbies were given to me, they ended up disected.

grinning smiley

You too, huh?

Dolls spent 98 percent of their time face-down in the bottom of my toy basket. Often I'd take their clothes and put them on my stuffed animals. Any role played by the dolls was as a 'participant'...a guest at my tea party, a victim saved by superhero me, a 'skydiver' at the end of a string dropped from my second-story bedroom window...but never as a baby in a playing-house game.

Yeah, I HATED girls toys. People in my family quickly learned not to buy them for me.

Dolls and girl crap were run over by my cars, eaten by my dinosaurs, or put on the tracks of my train set. The barbie dollhouse that I was given was bombed by my military planes and destroyed.grinning smiley

I was an only child and I had a very vivid imagination. And pink doll crap wasn't part of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I miss my little feather baby.
January 01, 2013
chahu
Hmmm....I don't know....

I feel like I'm less mature than my parent friends, but I'm also much more organised and much happier with life in general. I had a lot of things on my to-do list when I was younger, and having children never appeared on it. I'm now getting through that to-do list without the hindrance of kids.

I wanted to travel...check
I wanted to do something to help others...check
I wanted to work a boring job for a few years...check

The only thing that holds me back right now is the dog, and she won't for much longer. As soon as she gets her pet passport, she can go wherever I go!

I feel like i'm less mature, but more wise. I can see things happening around me and know when to take action, rather than over-reacting because I've got a kid to be responsible for. Yes, I am responsible for the dog, but she's a case of 'pick her up' or clip her lead on and we're ready to go! No worrying about special food, or bottles or nappies or whatever it is that parunts have to stuff into bags. The dog and I are off!

Maybe its to do with the idea of what maturity is. I see maturity as being responsible for your own home (not got one yet), paying the bills, generally being an adult. I'm still well in the 'no home, no bills' stage. I live on my own here in China, but the University have to provide living space and pay for utilities (it's a government thing, to prove that the University makes enough money to be responsible for a foreign teacher).

It's a strange one. Do I want to be more mature like they are? Nope. I'm quite happy changing my plans at the last minute, or sitting still and enjoying the scenery. I see life as an adventure, if you don't live it, you'll coast to the ending without a good closing chapter.

I feel that maturity involves a degree of financial responsibility, being capable of doing things without immediate tangible rewards because there is a long-term benefit in them (example: getting dental checkups), and beyond that I think it is up to the individual. Certainly accepting responsibility for another living being is not a requirement.

Many people develop a desire for stability about the same time as they are maturing. That's why owning your own home is often associated with maturity (as is having babies), although these things don't make sense for everybody. Just because something is a phase for most doesn't mean that the people who never 'outgrow' the desire are immature - they just have different interests and priorities than most.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login