Advanced

News Story you will like

Posted by annie35 
News Story you will like
May 09, 2008
Harvard Professor: Children Can Send Marriage Into Downward Spiral
Thursday, May 08, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

Marriage has been shown, through research, to be an unending source of joy, a Harvard professor said at an Australian conference this week.

But introduce children into the relationship and that joy may plummet, according to a report from the Australian Associated Press.

"Figures show that married people are in almost every way happier than unmarried people — whether they are single, divorced, cohabiting," Harvard University psychology professor Daniel Gilbert told the Happiness and its Causes conference in Sydney.

"Married people live longer, married people earn more money per capita, married people have more sex and enjoy it more," AAP quoted Gilbert as saying.

But, despite the belief that children are the apples of our eyes, they actually can have a negative influence on marriages, according to the report. And more kids equals more sadness, Gilbert said.

Click here to comment on this story.

U.S. and European studies show that married couples’ happiness spikes when they're expecting a baby but once that baby arrives, it plummets.

And forget about empty nest syndrome. The low point comes when children are between the ages of 12 and 16 and happiness only starts to recover once they fly the coop, Gilbert said.

Click here to read more on this story from AAP.
Re: News Story you will like
May 09, 2008
annie35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Harvard Professor: Children Can Send Marriage Into
> Downward Spiral
> Thursday, May 08, 2008
>
> E-Mail Print Share:
>
> Marriage has been shown, through research, to be
> an unending source of joy, a Harvard professor
> said at an Australian conference this week.
>
> But introduce children into the relationship and
> that joy may plummet, according to a report from
> the Australian Associated Press.
>
> "Figures show that married people are in almost
> every way happier than unmarried people — whether
> they are single, divorced, cohabiting," Harvard
> University psychology professor Daniel Gilbert
> told the Happiness and its Causes conference in
> Sydney.
>
> "Married people live longer, married people earn
> more money per capita, married people have more
> sex and enjoy it more," AAP quoted Gilbert as
> saying.
>
> But, despite the belief that children are the
> apples of our eyes, they actually can have a
> negative influence on marriages, according to the
> report. And more kids equals more sadness, Gilbert
> said.
>
> Click here to comment on this story.
>
> U.S. and European studies show that married
> couples’ happiness spikes when they're expecting a
> baby but once that baby arrives, it plummets.
>
> And forget about empty nest syndrome. The low
> point comes when children are between the ages of
> 12 and 16 and happiness only starts to recover
> once they fly the coop, Gilbert said.
>
> Click here to read more on this story from AAP.

this is all over Fark in the Geek section- have a look. Tons of marriages being wrecked- one guy actually talks about suicide!!! Talk about someone I want to reach out to. such sorrow.
Anonymous User
May 09, 2008
True story:

An old friend of mine and his wife were visiting us for a weekend; the subject of kids came up (they have two) and, like a primal scream or death wail, my friend (the guy) just lets loose with, "you life is oooooover." His wife gave him a death glare - but what a moment of Truth that was!
Anonymous User
May 09, 2008
Forgot to add:

He looks like shit; easily 50 pounds heavy and bloated and red faced; drinks excessively. Seems to be wishing and working for an early death....
May 09, 2008
Harvard had to do RESEARCH to find that out? confused smiley

Keep working more hours, CF people! Millions of breeders depend on us.
CFBitchfromLA
May 10, 2008
What happens when you mix a bottle of bourbon, money-hungry social scientists and stupid research grant committees? That study!
May 11, 2008
Sorry to rant, but I had a few breeder encounters. Study is correct. I do not understand one thing. Why the hell do I keep coming across female breeders who try to push men into breeding? I know women on this site are not like that but, what is going on with the world? Somehow, many relationships and commitments are based on breeding. Are modern women out of their minds?

Lately, I have seen all kinds of breeder propaganda. Women buy it like crazy. Scary.
May 11, 2008
techie they are... most modern women are insane.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
May 11, 2008
mercurior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> techie they are... most modern women are insane.

...tell me about it. They are going down and taking the world with them too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login