Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The stupidest response ever

Posted by annie35 
The stupidest response ever
May 14, 2008
I am looking for a hybrid car, because I don't need an SUV.
While looking my SIL was with me, she said she was holding out for the hybrid Yukon, which still only gets 20 miles to the gallon, so why even bother with a hybrid in my opinion.
I asked why such a big car. She said, I can't be a soccer mom if I don't have an SUV. Her only goal in life to to be a soccer mom and have other soccer moms envy her. She has no job, doesn't clean, doesn't cook, and does nothing all day. She is trying to achieve her dreams of becoming a soccer mom, first the crotch snots and then a suv and her life will be complete. I am so glad there is actually more to life than that.
str8six
Re: The stupidest response ever
May 14, 2008
Well Annie, you have to remember now, her brains came out along with her placenta - have a little understanding OK?! grinning smiley
May 15, 2008
Hybrid Yukons and Tahoes are out. They are over $45,000 to buy. Yes, they only get about 20 Miles per gallon or so. They basically do better in a city, where regular non-hybrid counter part only gets about 14 miles per gallon. So you get about 6 miles per gallon gain in the city but not on the highway. Highway miles per gallon are about the same for both hybrid and non-hybrid. On these trucks, the hybrid system is only active below 20 miles per hour. Above that, it is a good old gas hog.

Prius will actually do 48 miles per gallon in the city and 45 on the highway. They can do it because they use a 1.5L engine with electric assist. With gasoline (petrol) approaching $4.00 per gallon, Prius is some people's desired car. For me, I'll wait until VW Jetta brings back a Turbo Diesel (TDI) or find a used one (if someone is willing to part with one with today's fuel costs). Those get about 50 miles per gallon on the highway and do not have Ni-Hydride batteries that fail because of the memory charge. Just a personal preference.
May 15, 2008
When I bought my Honda Civic, 6 years ago, I checked out the Insight - but it was, like, $ 35K instead of $ 20K! And they only had it in manual transmission, while I drive automatic. I don't know if that has changed since, but it really turned me off.
May 15, 2008
I want to ask, where do they get the electricty to run these cars from?

the power grid, yes. where does that come from, power plants, yes, nuclear some, wind turbines.. no.. solar panels.. not really, from... coal and gas power plants..

it may be more efficient and cost effective to run, but its not necesarrily greener.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Non Politically-Correct
May 15, 2008
Merc,
To be technical for a minute, the hybrid cars use a petrol engine to generate electricity to power an electric engine, and to charge the batteries. In a standard car, the petrol engine is connected to the wheels through a transmission. In an electric/hybrid vehicle, the electric engine is connected directly to the wheels (more or less). The reason for this is because electric engines are capable or more torque (turning force) at lower speeds than petrol engines, and are a lot more efficient.

So, in that sense, a hybrid that doesn't "recharge" at home from the grid (I don't think any current models do, but I stand to be corrected) doesn't actually draw any power from the grid - its power is generated by the small petrol engine onboard. So, basically, the car has two engines, but because electric engines are so much more efficient, the hybrids turn out to be more efficient over-all. They still have batteries, which enable the car to run without using the petrol engine, if the conditions allow it (ie, in the city).

The problem is, petrol has a great deal of energy per unit mass, and it has proven very difficult to find a worthy substitute (for both economic, technical and distribution reasons).
May 15, 2008
so with the use of petrol,

plug-in hybrid passenger vehicles are not yet in production. However, Toyota,General Motors Ford Chinese automaker BYD Auto, and California startups Fisker Automotive and Aptera Motorshave announced their intention to introduce production PHEV automobiles. The PHEV-60 BYD F6DM sedan and F3DM hatchback are expected in 2009; the luxury Fisker Karma PHEV-50 sports car is slated for late 2009; and the Toyota Prius and GM's PHEV-40 Chevrolet Volt and Saturn Vue plug-ins are expected in 2010.

but heres some Renault Kangoo and Kangoo Express

On July 18, 2006, Toyota announced that it "plans to develop a hybrid vehicle that will run locally on batteries charged by a household electrical outlet before switching over to a gasoline engine for longer hauls

On November 29, 2006, GM announced plans to introduce a production plug-in hybrid version of Saturn's Greenline Vue SUV with an all-electric range of 10 mi (16 km The model's sale is anticipated by fall 2009

The Chevrolet Volt (concept car)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_hybrid

so all in all, these cars will not be truly green, they will still require petrol, which is a very inefficient fuel. lots of it is lost as heat. which needs cooling, which needss..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/cars/story/0,,1766869,00.html

The consumer body noted that its greenhouse gas emissions were 27% lower than a petrol Lexus, but said it was no less harmful to the environment than a standard family estate car.

Which? found that the UK's bestselling hybrid and government ministers' favourite, the Prius, only averaged 45-50mpg compared with the official figure of 66mpg. It said the car produces 44% less CO2 than its standard equivalent. George Marshall-Thornhill, a Which? senior researcher, said he was "surprised" at the results

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
May 15, 2008
Since this gas thing started, I've had to re-think my position on replacing my ancient (1999) car with another V-6. I think the HP drinks too much gas.....

I wanted an 8, but that's a little showy; there are definitely times when those extra cylinders can get you out of a jam on the highway.
May 15, 2008
Annie, dear, you don't understaaaaaand, you're not a MAWM..........

Yawn.

But oh yes, Breeders are "greener" than the rest of us.
May 15, 2008
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Annie, dear, you don't understaaaaaand, you're not
> a MAWM..........
>
> Yawn.
>
> But oh yes, Breeders are "greener" than the rest
> of us.

In a sense this is true because they eat trash.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login