Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Charitable child abuse

Posted by mercurior 
Charitable child abuse
May 27, 2008
Aid workers abusing children as young as six in Third World countries, claims report

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1022132/Aid-workers-abusing-children-young-Third-World-countries-claims-report.html

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 9:11 AM on 27th May 2008

An international watchdog must be set up urgently to deal with widespread cases of child sex abuse by aid workers and peacekeepers, a charity said today.

Save The Children demanded action after its research found youngsters as young as six were trading sex for food, money, soap and even mobile phones in war zones and disaster areas.

It said all organisations, including itself, had their share of abusers involved in 'some of the most despicable abuse against some of the world's most vulnerable children'.

Save The Children has warned that youngsters such as these in Sierra Leone are vulnerable to predatory aid workers and peacekeepers

The scale of abuse was 'significant' and victims were being let down by 'endemic failures' in responding to the incidences that were officially reported, it concluded.

Better reporting mechanisms should be introduced, it said, as well as efforts made to strengthen child protection systems across the globe.

Hundreds of young people from the Ivory Coast, Southern Sudan and Haiti were involved in the research behind the conclusions.

Publication of the findings comes amid two massive international aid efforts - for the victims of the Chinese earthquake and the cyclone in Burma.

Save The Children UK chief executive Jasmine Whitbread said: 'This research exposes the despicable actions of a small number of perpetrators who are sexually abusing some of the most vulnerable children in the world, the very children they are meant to protect.

'It is hard to imagine a more grotesque abuse of authority or flagrant violation of children's right.

'In recent years, some important commitments have been made by the UN, the wider international community and by humanitarian and aid agencies to act on this problem.

'But welcome as these are, in most cases statements of principle and good intent have yet to be converted into really decisive and concerted international action.

'Obviously the vast majority of aid workers are not involved in any form of abuse or exploitation but in life-saving essential humanitarian work.

'However, all humanitarian and peacekeeping agencies working in emergency situations, including Save The Children UK, must own up to the fact that they are vulnerable to this problem and tackle it head on.'

Liberal Democrat international development spokesman Michael Moore said: 'This shocking report has brought light to an issue which many would rather ignore.

'Such cases of abuse are made so much worse by the fact the perpetrators are victimising the most vulnerable children in the world, the very people they are supposed to be helping.

'The British Government should champion a global watchdog on this issue and the United Nations must ensure that all peacekeepers and aid workers acting on its behalf are held to the highest moral standards.

'All aid programmes and peacekeeping missions must have stringent procedures in place for dealing with allegations of abuse.'

Shadow international development secretary Andrew Mitchell said: 'This hard-hitting report from Save The Children makes disturbing reading. Any UN soldier or aid worker found guilty of abuse should be dismissed and held accountable by the full force of the law.'

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
Anonymous User
Re: Charitable child abuse
May 27, 2008
What the hell is wrong with people? How could anyone see someone living in poverty, without even the most basic of necessities and only be thinking of how they could use that person's unfortunate situation to get sex from them?

How can people be so cruel? I mean, seriously -- HOW does a person become that way? And even if you find yourself thinking about doing something like that, how do you get to the point where you're sick enough to put those thoughts into practice?
May 27, 2008
if you find out let me know..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
May 27, 2008
Where is Brangelina when we need them?
Anonymous User
May 27, 2008
Stephanie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What the hell is wrong with people? How could
> anyone see someone living in poverty, without even
> the most basic of necessities and only be thinking
> of how they could use that person's unfortunate
> situation to get sex from them?
>
> How can people be so cruel? I mean, seriously --
> HOW does a person become that way? And even if you
> find yourself thinking about doing something like
> that, how do you get to the point where you're
> sick enough to put those thoughts into practice?

Why ask why?? People are wicked. We as a society have become so compassionate, that we can't even punish criminals properly anymore. So why even put these people in jail? They get free everything courtesy of the taxpayers, and then some... The people who are paid to watch these scum aren't even allowed to handle them adequately to ensure their own safety. We have taught these people from the time they were kids that they have rights but no responsibilities, and freedoms with no consequences. Their moos and duhs reinforce these notions, the courts sanctify it, so there is no reason for these bastards to change their behaviour. I know it is outrageous for those of us with a modicum of conscience, a sense of right and wrong, etc. These perps obviously do not have any.
Wanna watch the invevitable outcome of out of control populations? (Those that have lost the ability to control their own behaviour.) Cameras... all these security cameras and mark my words, they will only increase in numbers and intrusiveness. We will only have ourselves to blame. AS technology improves and decreases in size, we may very well end up with implanted gps type devices, and dna samples from every newborn.
That leaves me with another conclusion: that out of control behaviour is encouraged because someone, somewhere knows that it will allow them eventually to impose controls. Logic... sheer logic.
This situation is merely another manifestation of this I think.
May 27, 2008
Well, if one wants to molest children, this is (hopefully, was) probably a much easier venue to do it than a school/church/camp/daycare in a stable country.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login