Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hw would rather have a Frosty

Posted by annie35 
Hw would rather have a Frosty
May 28, 2008
Around 4: 30 a.m. this morning, my stomach woke me up with an urgent message: "Get up or throw up."

So I got up. I wandered down the dark hallway, down the stairs and fumbled through the refrigerator until I found the cold can of ginger ale I'd stashed in the crisper drawer for an emergency like this. I sat down with my soda, put a cold washcloth on my forehead and faced two alternatives: Either I'm plain-old sick, or I'm pregnant and sick. Which one is it ?

After doing some quick mental math, I was 99 percent sure the sickness was the plain-old kind and not the nine-months kind. So I sipped my ginger ale, moaned about my headache and prayed I would not have to throw up.

At 8 a.m. I dialed my doctor's phone number and asked for the earliest appointment. There was no time to lose - today was my son's preschool graduation, and I wasn't going to miss it. He was scheduled to sing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"at the ceremony, and we'd been practicing for a week. But the receptionist said there were only three doctors working today and the earliest appointment was not until tomorrow.

I hung up more than miffed and wondered where all the doctors had gone. Didn't they know that I was too busy to be sick today ? Didn't they know about the preschool graduation and my newspaper deadline and the laundry piling up ?

Not to be outdone by a bunch of booked-up doctors, I decided to get through the graduation ceremony and go to a walk-in clinic afterward.

After graduation I walked into the clinic with my big ol' pounding head and asked how long the wait would be.

"An hour and a half to two hours," she said.

I walked back out. A twohour wait would mean we'd have to miss the postgraduation picnic in the park - the one my 3-year-old had been looking forward to for weeks. I decided I'd try a different walk-in clinic later in the day.

After the picnic, I dropped the kids off at home and their dad took over so I could try again to see a doctor. I went to a Wal-Mart Super Center's walk-in clinic down the street. At the counter was a sign that read: "Closed for staff meeting. Will reopen in one hour. "I went home again and, an hour later, returned to the walk-in clinic, but four people beat me to it and the wait would be at least another 45 minutes. The nurse handed me a pager and said I could walk around the store until it was my turn. So I wandered around with my sore, swollen head and hoped my stomach would not revolt against the baked potato.

Finally, the beeper beeped, and I rushed to the front of the store toward the clinic. I answered the signin questions and was all set to see the doctor when I noticed my watch: 2: 38 p.m. My oldest son would need to be picked up from kindergarten in less than 10 minutes, and my husband couldn't do it. I had to go. With my most pitiful, sickly voice, I asked the nurse if she could hold my spot for the 20 minutes it would take for me to pick up my son and return to the clinic. Mercifully, she said yes.

After racing to school and back, I walked into the clinic at 3: 05 p.m. with my 6-yearold in tow. He wasn't too happy about the visit to the clinic, since he'd been hoping we could go to Wendy's for an after school frosty. A wonderful woman named Judy checked me over and, after ruling out pregnancy, confirmed that I was indeed plain-old sick with a nasty sinus infection. So we were off to the pharmacy with my prescriptions to wait for medicine.

As I drove away with my antibiotics, my son asked again if we could please, please go to Wendy's (the way-across-town-in-five o'clock-traffic Wendy's ) so he could get a frosty. As much as I wanted to reward his patience for sitting through the doctor's visit, I was exhausted and miserable. I told him we needed to go home because I was feeling very sick, and I didn't want to risk having my head explode from sinus pressure while waiting in the Wendy's drive-through. It wasn't the answer he wanted.

I said," What's more important: taking care of Mom when she's sick or getting a frosty ?"

"Frosty," he answered, stubbornly.

"Well that's too bad because we're going home. Helping someone who's sick is more important than a frosty, and you need to learn that," I said, more than a little wounded that my firstborn would so casually pick ice cream over his own mother's health.

As we pulled into the driveway, he told me he wanted to "quit this house and this family," so I sent him to his room. Neither one of us felt very "merry, merry, merry, merry," and life was definitely not a dream.

Half an hour later, we checked on our boy and found him asleep on his bed, which tells me he needed a nap even more than a frosty. Speaking of sleep, that's exactly where I'm headed. I'm going to zip these words off to my editors, swallow my antibiotics and pray for sweet relief to come soon because, like I said 800 words ago, I don't have time to be sick.

Gwen Rockwood is a regionally syndicated freelance columnist. Archives of "The Rockwood Files "can be found at www. nwaMother lode. com.

Did he really just need a nap? Or is a Frosty more imporant than momma?
Figure it out people, just because you are all consumed by your kids, does not mean they are all consumed by you.
Re: Hw would rather have a Frosty
May 28, 2008
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Poor Gwen.

Gee, life sucks when your sole purpose for living picks a Wendy's Frosty over you, now, doesn't it?

Yea, keep breeding and keep telling everyone that it's aaaaaaaaaalll worth it. We believe you.

Mawms are the only ones too BIZZY to be sick, don't 'cha know.

Yea, whatever, there Gwenny baby, rest assured that when we Child Free are sick that we can just lie down and sleep for as long as we want and not have to worry about the stupid kiddie play, picking Shitford up or some lame-assed post-grad picnic with a bunch of screaming toddlers.
Anonymous User
May 28, 2008
Gee whiz, I can get a frosty all for myself... I don't have to consider that some brat may want to go to mickey d's for some such similar stuff. (Yeah, I shouldn't have a frosty).
I did see a brat demand 'his' mr frosty while his mom just wanted a taste. He had a shit-fit and mom tossed mr frosty in the garbage. If I thought the previous tantrum was bad, it was nothing compared to the eruption this evoked. he was dragged off and that was the last of it..
May 28, 2008
I can't believe there aren't more child murders.
May 28, 2008
What an insufferable bitch....at least she didn't give in to her horrible son.

annie35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hung up more than miffed and wondered where all
> the doctors had gone. Didn't they know that I was
> too busy to be sick today ? Didn't they know about
> the preschool graduation and my newspaper deadline
> and the laundry piling up ?
Why doesn't the world revolve around MEE?? They can't possibly be sick, or getting additional training when I'M sick!!! I can't possibly be expected to wait A DAY to see a doctor, I'M SICK NOW!

> Not to be outdone by a bunch of booked-up doctors,
> I decided to get through the graduation ceremony
> and go to a walk-in clinic afterward.
Hey, way to spread your virus to the entire preschool. I'm sure everyone is enjoying it.
>
> I walked back out. A twohour wait would mean we'd
> have to miss the postgraduation picnic in the park
> - the one my 3-year-old had been looking forward
> to for weeks. I decided I'd try a different
> walk-in clinic later in the day.
I can't WAIT, my BAYYYYBEE is having a GRADUATION!!! (Preschool graduation? WTF?) If BAAAYYBEEE doesn't come first, the world will end, so I went to the picnic to make completely sure EVERYONE at the preschool would contract my virus.

> Finally, the beeper beeped, and I rushed to the
> front of the store toward the clinic. I answered
> the signin questions and was all set to see the
> doctor when I noticed my watch: 2: 38 p.m. My
> oldest son would need to be picked up from
> kindergarten in less than 10 minutes, and my
> husband couldn't do it. I had to go. With my most
> pitiful, sickly voice, I asked the nurse if she
> could hold my spot for the 20 minutes it would
> take for me to pick up my son and return to the
> clinic. Mercifully, she said yes.
Hey, I'm a Mom who can't trust the father of her children to buckle a 3 year old into a car seat and pick up my other spawn. Could you possibly do something for me that you wouldn't do for any other patient? Great, because I deserve that spot more than anyone else, after all, I haven't managed to actually do ANY WAITING for this appointment, beyond spending 30 minutes in Walmart with a beeper.
>
> After racing to school and back, I walked into the
> clinic at 3: 05 p.m. with my 6-yearold in tow. He
> wasn't too happy about the visit to the clinic,
> since he'd been hoping we could go to Wendy's for
> an after school frosty.
Gee, who set up the expectation that he'd get a frosty after school? I can't imagine where he'd get such an idea...
>
> As I drove away with my antibiotics, my son asked
> again if we could please, please go to Wendy's
> (the way-across-town-in-five o'clock-traffic
> Wendy's ) so he could get a frosty. As much as I
> wanted to reward his patience for sitting through
> the doctor's visit, I was exhausted and miserable.
Every good thing a child does should be rewarded with a tangible thing. Well, that's a great way to make an entitled little shit of a person.

> I told him we needed to go home because I was
> feeling very sick, and I didn't want to risk
> having my head explode from sinus pressure while
> waiting in the Wendy's drive-through. It wasn't
> the answer he wanted.
All children will pick exploding heads over going home. Duh.

> "Well that's too bad because we're going home.
> Helping someone who's sick is more important than
> a frosty, and you need to learn that," I said,
> more than a little wounded that my firstborn would
> so casually pick ice cream over his own mother's
> health.
Gee, I wonder how he got to be so selfish and awful. It couldn't have anything to do with how he was raised, I'm sure.

> Half an hour later, we checked on our boy and
> found him asleep on his bed, which tells me he
> needed a nap even more than a frosty. Speaking of
> sleep, that's exactly where I'm headed. I'm going
> to zip these words off to my editors, swallow my
> antibiotics and pray for sweet relief to come soon
> because, like I said 800 words ago, I don't have
> time to be sick.
It's hard to have time to have a life when you're up on a cross all day.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
May 28, 2008
Oh my Gawd, what a disgusting story.

Parunts today are so pathetic.

1. When I first started reading it, I thought she was putting off taking care of herself because her kid had an important function, like graduating from HIGH SCHOOL, not fucking pre-school. But I can confirm this insanity is all around us: one of my breeder co-irkers had a kid who graduated from pre-K. That kid had a ceremony and the whole bit.

2. Breeders hang on their chyyyyyld's every word. Children are, by nature, immature, manipulative beasts. It's a parent's job to teach them otherwise. What kind of pathetic person allows a six year old, manipulative brat to determine their self-esteem or mood? A loser, that's who.

3. Giving her kid a choice. She should have said, Mom's sick and we're going home. End of story. The kid would have learned, plans change, and that's part of life. Suck it up and deal. But of course, you can't do that when you are Snotleigh's Best Friend.

Nor was it necessary to "reward" him because he went with her to the doctor and behaved himself for a whole 20 minutes. No wonder teenagers today expect a medal when they go to the potty by themselves--they have been given accolades and heaped with praise for doing normal things from the time they were toadlers.
May 29, 2008
"After doing some quick mental math, I was 99 percent sure the sickness was the plain-old kind and not the nine-months kind. So I sipped my ginger ale, moaned about my headache and prayed I would not have to throw up."

Sounds like a hangover to me.
May 29, 2008
It's a contest to see:

1. who is the bigger martyr

and

2. who's heart bleeds the most

When that shit is the only shit in your life, you kinda have no choice but to write about it. And to those who read it and find it interesting, it's the only shit in their life that they can relate to. Unfortunately it's become an epidemic.
The sequel we'd all like to read:

I said,"What's more important: taking care of Mom when she's sick or getting a frosty?"

"Frosty," he answered, stubbornly.

"All right, well, here's your 'frosty'." SMACK! "Would you like another 'frosty'?"

He sobs, "No."

"That's okay. You can have another one anyway." SMACK!

grinning smiley grinning smiley
**We'd have to miss the postgraduation picnic in the park - the one my 3-year-old had been looking forward to for weeks.**

This kid is three years old! THREE! I find it really hard to believe that he is looking forward to anything for weeks and weeks with NO attention span.
May 29, 2008
I admit I laughed at the kid's response. Think about it - Mommy is the person who stops you from having fun when you stick a fork into an electrical socket. She's the one who makes you eat foods that look funky. She the one who - horror of horrors - makes you go to SKEWL. A Frosty is nothing but a big cup of soft, creamy greatness and is basically everything that Mommy isn't. Fuck, the kid was probably intrinsically glad his Moo was sick. Considering most kids hate their parents at that age, I think I'd have been more shocked if the kid showed actual concern about Moomie's need to puke.

*snicker* I want a Frosty now too, but unfortunately all the Wendy's around here either employ people who take bites out of your food before serving it to you or the restaurants are all overrun with knife-wielding panhandlers. And I refuse to patronize such laces, so no Frosties for me.
May 29, 2008
This sounds like a childed troll weaseled in here.

Whatever. The kid's a spoiled brat.eye rolling smiley
May 30, 2008
banshee it was a quote from

Gwen Rockwood is a regionally syndicated freelance columnist. Archives of "The Rockwood Files "can be found at www. nwaMother lode. com.

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
May 30, 2008
Smack! Still laughing
May 30, 2008
Ya know, thinking back to my own childhood, had my mom asked me to choose between a Frosty or going home so she could lay down and rest, if I had chosen the Frosty, something tells me there would be a good old fashioned ass whoopin' waiting for me when we walked in the door, for being so selfish.

Too sick to be out and about, but not too sick to beat some values into my ass.

I am not kidding. LOL
May 31, 2008
Seems to me that Mawmy got exactly the answer she deserved.

Isn't it funny the way parents swap stories about 'shocking' displays of selfishness from their children. They are children. By their very nature they ARE nothing but selfish through and through. Did this woman actually expect her son to say "Golly jeepers Mommy let's forget the frostie and get you home and in bed quick! I'll put some chicken broth on and hold a wet cloth on your forehead and rub your feet and are you sure I can't take the wheel right now and drive you home my little cute self, you look so tired and I love you so much it's killing me that you're in such discomfort and and and and..."

Parents always credit their children with having feelings of love and sweet-nature and deep understanding which their little mushy brains are NOT wired up to have yet. A friend of mine, who's a dad, just lost his own father. He said his eight year old boy cried a bit 'but he's only eight so he doesn't understand that his granddad is really dead'. The man has just lost his father so I didn't want to disagree with him. I said 'hmm yeah or else children have a way of coping with other people's death in a way that adults cannot.' and he agreed. What I WANTED to say was 'hmm no, he knows perfectly well his granddad isn't coming back but after crying for 10 minutes he doubtless became bored of it all and thought 'ah well he was old and it wasn't I who died so who cares?? Do we have to go see gran and we ARE still having hamburgers for dinner AREN'T WE?? Or had granddad's dying screwed that up for me too?! Do I get off school? I better get a couple days off school for this.' Because children are nasty little pieces of work each and every one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login