Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reality is to the left

Posted by annie35 
Reality is to the left
June 02, 2008
I was reading in my investment magazine, that today's kids think they will earn $145,000 a year when they graduate from college. Never mind the median income in the U.S. is $48,000 a year.
Again self entitlement mentality, that these kids have learned from their lazy moo's.
Nour
Re: Reality is to the left
June 02, 2008
Wow. Not only do brats think they are entitled, but they are completely out of touch with REALITY.
June 02, 2008
I'll have what they're smoking. I'll be able to afford it, right? Right?
June 02, 2008
We've got the entitled little bastards here at my company. Early to mid-20's, know it all, condescending and disrespectful to the seasoned employees. They all think the sun shines out of their asses.

The problem is, my company participates in some type of government program where they have to commit to hiring 6 or so new college grads a year, and the company gets a nice fat check from uncle sam.

Well, in order to lure them to work here by the deadline so the company gets it's money, they are offered very nice salaries - salaries MUCH nicer than long-term, seasoned, well-experienced employees who have been doing that job for years.
June 02, 2008
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We've got the entitled little bastards here at my
> company. Early to mid-20's, know it all,
> condescending and disrespectful to the seasoned
> employees. They all think the sun shines out of
> their asses.
>
> The problem is, my company participates in some
> type of government program where they have to
> commit to hiring 6 or so new college grads a year,
> and the company gets a nice fat check from uncle
> sam.
>
> Well, in order to lure them to work here by the
> deadline so the company gets it's money, they are
> offered very nice salaries - salaries MUCH nicer
> than long-term, seasoned, well-experienced
> employees who have been doing that job for years.

We have some of those in my company also. They don't work in my office, but they do work at the main office. One chick tried to bully me, I pulled to the side and let her know that I am 5 levels higher than her, older and wiser and if she wants to play that game, I would be more than willing to kick her ass and have her fired. She stays the hell away from me now.
k-man
June 02, 2008
Conservative parenting guru John Rosemond says he hears many complaints from employers that today's university grads (1) lack the skills needed in the workplace and (2) don't understand the importance of complete and accurate work. They got used to making A's for mediocre work in high school and university and they think employment will run in the same way.

Where I live one university declined to renew the annual contract of a college professor whom the students liked because he was a harsh grader and flunked many of them. He told the local paper that he was seeing too many students who did poorly in high school but received high grades anyway, and university classes were a shock for them. They were simply not ready for the demands of his class. Those students will eventually get a job, giving the results we're discussing here.
June 02, 2008
i once bought an item in a computer shop, and i did all the standard tests.. o see if it was the item or my pc.

it didnt work, so i took it back, and i was lectured by a 16 year old about computers, i who has worked on them for longer than he was alive, used to do some dbase programming, and he dared to lecture me about computers

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
June 02, 2008
Hm...it's the other way around here. We've got a hugeass corporation here that pretty much ONLY HIRES people fresh out of college. That way they can hire a bunch of energetic go-getters who have no idea what they are worth. They can work them 80 hours per week, for below the market rate. I had a friend who was completely qualified for a job at this corporation, but since he was 33, and had previous experience in his field, he wasn't hired.

There is no such thing as "going back to school to get more skills to get a new job" any more because if you are over a certain age, no one will hire you because you're too old, or you know too much.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
June 02, 2008
Jesus Christ, ain't this the fuckin' truth!!!!!!! Everything's been dumbed down and standards lowered just to make these little assholes feel better about themselves. College isn't half as hard as when my ass was there in the 80's. Bunch of dreamers.

k-man Wrote:
"..........Conservative parenting guru John Rosemond says he
> hears many complaints from employers that today's
> university grads (1) lack the skills needed in the
> workplace and (2) don't understand the importance
> of complete and accurate work. They got used to
> making A's for mediocre work in high school and
> university and they think employment will run in
> the same way................"
June 02, 2008
KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
> Jesus Christ, ain't this the fuckin' truth!!!!!!!
> Everything's been dumbed down and standards
> lowered just to make these little assholes feel
> better about themselves. College isn't half as
> hard as when my ass was there in the 80's. Bunch
> of dreamers.
>
> k-man Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> "..........Conservative parenting guru John
> Rosemond says he
> > hears many complaints from employers that
> today's
> > university grads (1) lack the skills needed in
> the
> > workplace and (2) don't understand the
> importance
> > of complete and accurate work. They got used
> to
> > making A's for mediocre work in high school and
> > university and they think employment will run
> in
> > the same way................"

My sister is going to college in the Fall, the college she is attending is a joke IMPO. Her first year she is taking an Excel class, Word Class, and some other trivial classes that don't amount to much. She is also required to take this class where she goes for 3 hours and they basically hold your hand and do your homework for you.
Not sure who will hold theirs hands when they come to work in corporate America? I sure won't.I will train and coach to develop an employee, but I am not about to take care of your ass and do your work for you.
June 02, 2008
In my field of work, there are always useless young toe-rags trying to ask for 'work experience'. As if three weeks tagging along behind one of my busy, grown-up staff being a complete pain in the ass and total waste of my time is somehow 'experience'. They have things on their CVs (resumes) like 'communication studies', 'social awareness', 'physical education training', and 'media studies' -- followed by a grade A after each and every, um, subject. Their hobbies are invariably DJing, skateboarding or some other slacker-about-town activity, and video games. They invariably all want to go 'travelling', which means smoking joints on a beach in Goa for 12 months. Not one of them can spell or add up anything without the aid of a calculator. None of them know proper grammar or have a shred of social skills or phone skills. They think customer service is something THEY receive, not give. They think a tshirt with a logo on it is something good to wear to an interview. And they all present their resume with the kind of fanfare usually reserved for Queen's speeches, like I'm lucky to get a look at it or something. There's nothing I enjoy more than slowly and patently making mincemeat out of their so-called qualifications and destroying every grain of hope that they'll ever be suited to working in my industry. Con artists, each and every one, and it's up to us grown-ups to stop those little shits in their tracks!
June 02, 2008
I was a teaching assistant the past two academic years and I can't believe the poor level of work I see coming from half of the students.

This semester, the students bitched and moaned about having too much to do in their music history class. The professor was tough, but he, the other TA and I made it very clear to the class that they could talk to us or e-mail us if they had problems. The professor made daily assignment sheets so the students would know how to prepare for each class meeting and understand the lecture. It was usually comprised of ten pages of reading, one or two questions, and eight to ten terms (NOT hard, IMO). We emphasized the importance of preparing the sheets every day.

Anyway, over the course of the semester, and especially when it came time for the tests and the final, I reminded the students in my discussion groups that they should make appointments with me if they were struggling, and that I'd be glad to help them. No one took me up on that offer, but a lot of them bitched about their grades and the difficulty of the tests.

Overall, the international students in the class kicked the US students' asses in their quality of work, attendance, and tenacity about making sure they understood assignments/concepts covered. Some of the US students were great, but the crappy ones outnumbered them.

On a (sort of) related note, one afternoon as I walked across campus I overheard two girls (looked like freshmen) talking about how their professor was so unfair for making them come to class...ROFL! I'd hate to see them at a job. Oh wait, they probably never had to flip burgers or work a cash register because that would be too harrrrd on pwechus.
Anonymous User
June 02, 2008
Well this doesn't surprise me.

SAHMS believe they are entitled to six figure incomes, simply for staying home. Some of them even think it should come out of the taxpayer's money.
Catabat
June 02, 2008
Debbie Travis (a decorator and a big TV star here in Canada) had a big competition, with the prize being the job as her assistant. A plum job that thousands would walk on their lips for. So she goes through all these kids, selects a winner, puts him to work ... and three days later, he goes to lunch and never comes back. Because he apparently wasn't being given "important enough work". She has no time for these kids, saying that they all expect to be the producer three days after they start, and get all pissy-faced if they're told to go and get the coffee. You work your way up, you little shits. You don't have a right to be there, there's a thousand people in the queue ahead of you.

I remember a guy my age telling me about his apprenticeship as a boatbuilder back in the 70's, when you'd get a cuff around the ear if you screwed up and if you were sent for something, that meant run ... not pout and complain. Half these kids on apprenticeships today want their contracts torn up if you look at them the wrong way.

I work in accounting, and half the audit juniors they send my way are absolutely clueless, but think they're so damn important. It would be funny, if it wasn't so sad.
June 02, 2008
I've heard of this before too, and it made me laugh. These kids are in for a hell of a surprise when they enter the work force and don't make eleventy billion dollars for their first paycheck. I wonder if these kids think they can make that kind of money working at Wal-Fart. And they need to actually be able to do the job, not sit on their asses all day and do nothing and expect to get paid for it.

But, of course, the kids who think they'll be making $145K annually will most likely also be the kids whose mommies call their bosses to bitch at them because Junior got fired or because Princess didn't get a big enough paycheck.
June 03, 2008
yet amythest.. proper experienced workers, cant get a look in, i am experienced i know admijn procedures backwards i am great.. however these little monsters get the jobs, i have even been told i am too skilled..

*********************************************************************************************************************************
I just post the stories, for interest.. for everyone

Lord, what fools these mortals be!
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Act III, Scene ii

Voltaire said: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

H.L.Mencken wrote:"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
June 04, 2008
The funny thing is, corporations want these kids simply because they're cheaper than experienced workers. There's a big computer type corporation that has been expanding for the past few years, and now they've got a big fancy "campus" - office park. Anyway, they ONLY hire young people fresh out of college, because older people know what they're worth and expect to be paid that. Kids can say they'll expect to be making $145,000 out of college, but a places like this snap them up for much cheaper than an experienced worker because after sending out dozens of applications, they'll be glad to take any job at a prestigious company for 1/2 what an experienced worker would take. I had a friend apply out there, he is a certified and experienced programmer who gives good interview and has great references. However, at 33, and with experience, he was too old and knew too much.

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login