Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another Pathetic Article

Posted by KidFreeLuvnLife 
Another Pathetic Article
July 10, 2008
Great Gods this is a nauseating article. It illustrates everything wrong with kids today.

Since when did being a parent also become being a negotiator?

I'd lay it out for the little brat:

"NO because I said so, and since I'm the parent, I make the rules, and if you don't like it, we can arrange for you to go live in a foster home. How's that grab ya?"

Banging on the table at my house would have earned the violator a sharp whack to the head with the back of dad's fork, not namby-pamby reasons not to bang.

How much respect do these parents think their kid is going to have for them as the years progress? At my house, we RESPECTED my parents because they made rules and we followed them and if we didn't there was hell to pay. Nowadays, parents want to be their kid's best friend.

http://www.redbookmag.com/home/how-to-say-no?link=rel&dom=msn&src=syn&con=art&mag=rbk
Re: Another Pathetic Article
July 10, 2008
Reason # 104,320,054,001 why the world is going to hell in a handbasket.
July 10, 2008
I'm glad that many people disagree with the writer of the article in the comments section and many of them are parents. Did anyone notice the comment from the parent of an autistic child? The parent became more of a disciplinarian and the child's behavior improved drastically.
Anonymous User
July 10, 2008
LucyTrainWreck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm glad that many people disagree with the writer
> of the article in the comments section and many of
> them are parents. Did anyone notice the comment
> from the parent of an autistic child? The parent
> became more of a disciplinarian and the child's
> behavior improved drastically.

It's amazing how punishment improves behaviour, even amongst schizoids and that sort.
July 10, 2008
Sometimes I would like to say I don't believe it, but sadly I do. I just sit here, bang my head on the desk, and ask "Why? WHY on earth should an adult have to negotiate with a child?"

My parents' take on behaviour such as that descreibed was, "I SAID not to bang and if you continue, I'm going to spank you and you're confined to your room except for meals until you learn to behave." And if I didn't shape up, punishment was swift and certain.

Since this was the 50s and 60s, my room didn't have every gadget and toy known to humanity at the time, so my room was NOT my favourite place to "do time". My parents inevitably won in whatever situation presented itself, I learned to be a reasonably civilised human being-- and guess what, breeders and brats? I SURVIVED!
bratBgone
July 11, 2008
My dad "negotiated" with my siblings and I with his belt. We misbehaved we got whacked. We learned not to misbehave pretty quickly! We also in never felt like we were some kind of child abuse victims because we were clearly taught the barriers of right and wrong. If we did wrong our butts got belted.
CF Uter
July 11, 2008
>>>>>>>>>>> Did anyone notice the comment from the parent of an autistic child? The parent became more of a disciplinarian and the child's behavior improved drastically.

I have always been supicious of this when the child is just "slightly" autistic. But since I'm not a parunt, and certainly not a parunt of an autistic child and not a doctor or anything, so no one listens to me.
Catabat
July 11, 2008
Ooh, couldn't agree more. Negotiate my ass. You're a kid - you're short, broke and can't vote, and what you think doesn't matter.

Good to see the bleeding heart author got tuned up pretty good. Wrong track, dumbass.
July 11, 2008
"Yes, you can have candy after dinner. Let's go look for an apple for now."

Why should the parent give in at all to the demands of the kid? Tell the kid no. Why are parents so afraid of doing that? These kids just grow up being spoiled and think they're entitled to whatever they want.
Anonymous User
July 11, 2008
I have a problem with some parents my husband is friends with. They have one child, a son, and think the world should revolve around him. They put so much emphasis on him that it actually makes me uncomfortable to be around them.

We constantly have to go out of our way to make their child feel "special" and I just get tired of it. My husband often wants me to go along with it.
July 11, 2008
casseyrod, your husband needs to grow a backbone and dump those breeder pals!

Keep working more hours, CF people! Millions of breeders depend on us.
July 11, 2008
I know if DW had friends like this I would tell her that if I'd wanted to center my lie (even visits) around a kyd, i'd have had my own. Then I would refuse to go with her to visit unless it was made clear that I do not fawn over children since it's bad for them.
CFBitchfromLA
July 11, 2008
The only negotiation that most brats need is what should be used on their backsides, like a belt, hairbrush or paddle.
bratBgone
July 12, 2008
Casseyrod said:
"I have a problem with some parents my husband is friends with. They have one child, a son, and think the world should revolve around him. They put so much emphasis on him that it actually makes me uncomfortable to be around them.

We constantly have to go out of our way to make their child feel "special" and I just get tired of it. My husband often wants me to go along with it."

This is my brother and his wife to a tee. Once my neice was born their whole house, routine, and purpose became dedicated to making sure everyday of her life is as perfect as it can be. The entire upstairs of their 4 bdroom house became her area. There is her room with her crib, the guest room is decorated with a twin bed for when she gets older, the family room, that used to have a nice fold out couch, became a playroom, and the bathroom became a princess themed potty room. My brother wonders why we never come to stay with him for a visit. There's no freaking place to sleep!! Also nothing is duller than watching home videos of a baby that is right there in the freaking room with you!!
CFTeen
July 12, 2008
MerlynHerne Wrote:
> My parents' take on behaviour such as that
> descreibed was, "I SAID not to bang and if you
> continue, I'm going to spank you and you're
> confined to your room except for meals until you
> learn to behave." And if I didn't shape up,
> punishment was swift and certain.

Sadly, both of those wonderful parental tools - spanking and applied temporary hunger - are getting labeled as 'chyyyld abuse!!!' so fast it's not even funny. Give the brat a swat and you're 'beating' him/her. Take away a meal and it's depriving Bratley of nutritious food!

I kid you not (LOL) I witnessed a mom beg a store clerk not to report her to CPS because she'd just smacked Snotleigh's hand for grabbing candy on a shelf. He went bug-eyed and said he'd rather be castrated with a melon baller and she had every right to do it...but it gave me one big fat case of the creeps.
Anonymous User
July 12, 2008
This woman gets mad if you send her a Christmas card and just write "Smith Family" on there, instead of spelling out her child's name on the envelope. So I have to spell out each family member's name on the envelope. Because if he sees the envelope, it might negatively effect his self esteem if his name isn't on there. My husband said I have to do this or "she'll get mad". This is beyond ridiculous. When I was a kid, I never paid any attention to whether or not my name was written on christmas card envelopes. I didn't care! Most of the time, the card was opened and the envelope was thrown away before I ever had a chance to see it, anyway. This year, I am writing "Smith Family" on the envelope and they can shove it up their ass if they don't like it.
Anonymous User
July 12, 2008
Another great method of discipline which is not being used so much these days is humiliation/shame.

One time when I was around 7/8 years old, I was drawing pictures on our driveway with chalk, and because our neighbours were a bit weird, I decided to declare it in chalk on their fence. I didn't use any swear words but I wrote something on their fence to the effect of 'these people are jerks'. A pretty shitty, bratty thing to do, but I was a thoughtless 7 year old. Anyway, of course I got busted because my mother knew I'd been outside drawing with chalk and it was obvious I did it. She punished me by making me apologise in person to the neighbours and then scrubbing what I'd written off the fence with soap and water while she watched. It was incredibly embarrassing and I was humiliated. And you know what? I never did anything like it again. I mean I still continued to draw harmless pictures on the driveway, but I never wrote anything rude or nasty to anyone ever again. It taught me a good lesson.

I strongly recommend humiliation as a form of punishment.
bratBgone
July 12, 2008
Casseyrod--Put the kids name on the envelope, but spell it wrong.

Humiliation is a great form of punishment.
Anonymous User
July 13, 2008
bratBgone Wrote:
> Casseyrod--Put the kids name on the envelope, but
> spell it wrong.
>
> Humiliation is a great form of punishment.

That's a good idea. I might do that around the holidays. I plan to take over mailing the Christmas cards, and this year, I will do everything EXACTLY how I want it to be done and my husband will have no say in it this time.

Seriously, the mombie will get upset when she sees that envelope and may not talk to us for a while. She has strict rules about how things are addressed to her family. She should consider herself lucky to be getting a card from us at all, in my opinion. We don't have to send her anything.
bratBgone
July 13, 2008
casseyrod Wrote:
>
> Seriously, the mombie will get upset when she sees
> that envelope and may not talk to us for a while.
> She has strict rules about how things are
> addressed to her family. She should consider
> herself lucky to be getting a card from us at all,
> in my opinion. We don't have to send her anything.

Damn, it sounds like she's a difficult pain in the ass! Maybe you should "accidently" forget to send her a card, and she won't talk to you again! It sounds like she's raising her kid to be a real tool. I tend to start avoiding family and friends once they sprog. There are too many rules associated with it!
July 13, 2008
There should be a law requiring parents to spank their kids or they will deprive them of kinky sex lives as adults.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun as hell"

:eatu
July 14, 2008
She's obviously an idiot and doesn't understand the proper forms of addressing. And just to piss her off, I'd keep writing, "Smith Family."

casseyrod Wrote:
> This woman gets mad if you send her a Christmas
> card and just write "Smith Family" on there,
> instead of spelling out her child's name on the
> envelope. So I have to spell out each family
> member's name on the envelope. Because if he sees
> the envelope, it might negatively effect his self
> esteem if his name isn't on there.............
Nour
July 14, 2008
I wouldn't send that twat waffle another card since she obviously does not appreciate the sentiment behind it.
July 14, 2008
If you're writing the cards, you do get to address them in what ever manner works best. If your husband wants to cater to this woman, perhaps your husband should be writing the cards.

That said, it doesn't really sound like it'd be any sort of a loss what so ever if this woman were to exit stage left from your life entirely.

KidFreeLuvnLife Wrote:
> She's obviously an idiot and doesn't understand
> the proper forms of addressing. And just to piss
> her off, I'd keep writing, "Smith Family."
>
>
> casseyrod Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This woman gets mad if you send her a Christmas
> > card and just write "Smith Family" on there,
> > instead of spelling out her child's name on the
> > envelope. So I have to spell out each family
> > member's name on the envelope. Because if he
> sees
> > the envelope, it might negatively effect his
> self
> > esteem if his name isn't on there.............

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
July 15, 2008
bratBgone Wrote:
> Casseyrod said:
> "I have a problem with some parents my husband is
> friends with. They have one child, a son, and
> think the world should revolve around him. They
> put so much emphasis on him that it actually makes
> me uncomfortable to be around them.
>
> We constantly have to go out of our way to make
> their child feel "special" and I just get tired of
> it. My husband often wants me to go along with
> it."
>
> This is my brother and his wife to a tee. Once my
> neice was born their whole house, routine, and
> purpose became dedicated to making sure everyday
> of her life is as perfect as it can be. The
> entire upstairs of their 4 bdroom house became her
> area. There is her room with her crib, the guest
> room is decorated with a twin bed for when she
> gets older, the family room, that used to have a
> nice fold out couch, became a playroom, and the
> bathroom became a princess themed potty room. My
> brother wonders why we never come to stay with him
> for a visit. There's no freaking place to sleep!!
> Also nothing is duller than watching home videos
> of a baby that is right there in the freaking room
> with you!!

Please forgive me- that made me laugh so hard. I feel your pain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login