Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Baby Dies On Luggage Carousel In Spain

Posted by MerlynHerne 
Re: Baby Dies On Luggage Carousel In Spain
September 23, 2013
What idiot puts a baby on a luggage carousel or gets on one themselves?? And the crap about breeders getting their fucking strollers first before anyone else gets their luggage. Maybe if you didn't carry the whole fucking house with you, you could go get your luggage like everyone else. Why should they have first dibs at getting their stuff?

And as Presto points out, she could have put the sacred loaf carrier down and then gotten the pushchair out. And why climb on the carousel. There are always plenty of redcaos at the airport. She could have asked one for assistance. Stupid bint.
September 23, 2013
I guess I'd have to see a picture of the layout of this place or something because I really don't get how what the later papers are describing could happen. At all the airports I've been to, the pushcarts are along a wall, far away from from all the luggage belts. So, why would she have to climb over one to get a cart? And then "accidently" step on the mechanism that starts the belts? Either this airport is weird as hell, or moo is lying out her ass. The only thing I can think is that - like all the airports I've been to - it cost money to get a cart out, and there was one loose and free somewhere it shouldn't have been. I've also never seen the starting mechanism somewhere where the general public could get to it - precisely because it would be a huge safety hazard, not only to the general public, but to the workers loading the luggage on the belts. I have seen kill switches however - all bright red, front and center, and labeled in huge letters, so why didn't she use that?
September 23, 2013
amethyst114
I guess I'd have to see a picture of the layout of this place or something because I really don't get how what the later papers are describing could happen. At all the airports I've been to, the pushcarts are along a wall, far away from from all the luggage belts. So, why would she have to climb over one to get a cart? And then "accidently" step on the mechanism that starts the belts? Either this airport is weird as hell, or moo is lying out her ass. The only thing I can think is that - like all the airports I've been to - it cost money to get a cart out, and there was one loose and free somewhere it shouldn't have been. I've also never seen the starting mechanism somewhere where the general public could get to it - precisely because it would be a huge safety hazard, not only to the general public, but to the workers loading the luggage on the belts. I have seen kill switches however - all bright red, front and center, and labeled in huge letters, so why didn't she use that?

It isn't a luggage cart but a push cart - British for stroller. Usually the breeders are allowed to take them right up to the door of the aircraft. At the other end of the flight, they are offloaded, usually still in the hallway leading to the airport (meaning they are in the way for everyone getting off) but sometimes they carry them into the luggage hall.

This isn't to disagree on any of the other points about how ridiculous it is, only to clear up what is meant by push cart.
September 23, 2013
yurble
amethyst114

It isn't a luggage cart but a push cart - British for stroller. Usually the breeders are allowed to take them right up to the door of the aircraft. At the other end of the flight, they are offloaded, usually still in the hallway leading to the airport (meaning they are in the way for everyone getting off) but sometimes they carry them into the luggage hall.

This isn't to disagree on any of the other points about how ridiculous it is, only to clear up what is meant by push cart.

The following is my understanding, compiled from several media articles on this topic.

The moo saw her stroller (ie pushcart) in the chute of the over-sized luggage area had become stuck.
She scrabbled up on top of the conveyor belt (against all warnings).
This conveyor belt is activated by weight (ie oversized luggage or a moo with a baby).
Her husband was standing beside her, at the same belt.
She was trying to grab the stroller, the belt became active and the baby that she was carrying dropped between two conveyor belts, was crushed and died.
September 23, 2013
Ah, that explains my misunderstanding of "pushcart" - I'd only ever heard them referred to as "strollers" or sometimes "prams" when I'm watching British TV. A pushcart here is like a shopping cart. And I admit that I don't really pay attention to what happens with strollers on the flights, other than dodging them on the way to the gate. grinning smiley

And the stupid absolutely burns. I'm still shaking my head over it all.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
September 24, 2013
cassia
The following is my understanding, compiled from several media articles on this topic.

The moo saw her stroller (ie pushcart) in the chute of the over-sized luggage area had become stuck.
She scrabbled up on top of the conveyor belt (against all warnings).
This conveyor belt is activated by weight (ie oversized luggage or a moo with a baby).
Her husband was standing beside her, at the same belt.
She was trying to grab the stroller, the belt became active and the baby that she was carrying dropped between two conveyor belts, was crushed and died.

So, not only did she climb on top of something that said not to, she had her husband who wasn't burdened with the infant who could have done it, and the baby wasn't strapped in to the baby carrier (or she was carrying it without a harness). Yeah, that just screams responsible parenting.
September 18, 2014
And in a move that should come as a surprise to precisely no one, the negligent mother is suing the conveyor belt manufacturer:

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2014/09/18/mom-whose-baby-died-on-airport-conveyor-belt-sues-manufacturer/
September 18, 2014
OH FFS! angrily flogging with a whip
September 19, 2014
catharsist
OH FFS! angrily flogging with a whip

That was my reaction when reading this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login