Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Article: BC Family Welcomes 18th Child

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Article: BC Family Welcomes 18th Child
July 26, 2008
So this is where my hard earned tax dollars go. I'm not impressed. You can add your comments about this story to the newspaper's website online. Plenty of breeders are joining in the fray, saying stupid things like we should be "congratulating them"?!? http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/468015

-------------------------------------------------

B.C. family welcomes 18th child
Jul 26, 2008 03:45 PM

THE CANADIAN PRESS

ABBOTSFORD, B.C. – Alexandru Ionce and his wife never planned to have 18 children in 23 years but when they welcomed little Abigail Ionce into the world, that's just what happened.

Abigail weighed in at seven pounds, 12 ounces last Tuesday, making her the 18th child for 44-year-old Livia Ionce and her husband Alexandru, 51.

The couple immigrated to Canada from Romania in 1990 and now live in Abbotsford, B.C. Their 17 other children range in age from 20 months to 23 years old.

Alexandru Ionce does not know if the couple will be having more children.

"We never planned how many children to have," he said. "We just let God guide our lives, you know, because we strongly believe life comes from God and that's the reason we did not stop the life.

"We let life come."

The family now has 10 girls and eight boys.

"We would have liked a boy to be even," he said. "We thank God all of them are healthy and happy."

He said the birth was not an overly difficult one and that mother and child are doing well.

"It's amazing. We are very happy with the newborn," he said ``We love her. She is surrounded with love and joy from everyone in our family."

Alexandru Ionce works in the construction industry in the city 60 kilometres southeast of Vancouver.

"Right now, I am not worried about the job. I'm going to stay beside her and help. I have to take care (of) my wife and baby."

Abigail is sleeping well, he added, waking at about 5 a.m. each day for a feeding.

Only a few of the couple's children have been finicky sleepers at an early age, he said.

"We have just a few of them ... two or three of them woke up during the night. Otherwise we had no problem, you know. Each three hours, they wake up, get food and go back to sleep."

Ionce said the family has received calls from Germany, Romania and England, as well as from media outlets across Canada.

One TV station even suggested doing a documentary about what they suggested is the world's largest family.

It's an idea that amused him, but Ionce doubts they hold any record titles.

"I think we are not the largest," he said.
Anonymous User
Re: Article: BC Family Welcomes 18th Child
July 27, 2008
Here are some comments posted so far:

is anyone concerned?

This day and age, with all due respect to 'religion', having this many children is irresponsible.What are we saying for empowering women? The 10 girls in this family may be loved but how mothered are they? What do they think of role of women - baby machines? The boys in this family? What will they think growing up? That this is a balanced life? That's all we need - more fatherless and motherless children.Does this family have any accountability or respect for mother earth? Are these children being educated about world population crisis, depletion of resources, water issues, starvation in third worlds? I think this is perfect example of what is fundamentally wrong with the way we are progressing in our society. Education people! It is available!This is NOT a third world! This is clearly not a family concerned with much more than an egotisitcal patriarchal empire. The only 'Congrats' to this family, from mine, is on being a part of the problem - not the solution.

Posted by kd555 at 7:12 PM Saturday, July 26 2008

Agree 10 Disagree 1 Offensive 8

------------------------------------------------------

To Kd55

Who are you to judge how many children a woman has or to tell a husband and wife how to plan their family? It seems that you are the one who is ignorant and lacks education. You are right, we do have a population crisis here and its that we need more people since the birth rates have been falling! Go educate yourself and don't judge other people or you will be judged too.

Posted by Elisabeth at 8:32 PM Saturday, July 26 2008

Agree 7 Disagree 2 Offensive 1

-------------------------------------------------------

congratulations!

If a family wants to have 18 children...who cares and how does this affect any of you? Don't assume that the government is paying to support these children any more then any other Canadian children. Not every child needs to have their own computer, cellphone.. you get the idea. Why not congratulate and move on...

Posted by just a thought at 6:18 PM Saturday, July 26 2008

Agree 15 Disagree 8 Offensive 1

--------------------------------------------------------

Grats to them!

Good for them and for society. Wish more Canadians were interested in having bigger family. I hope governmental support is good enough to live decently for them.

Posted by Milka at 5:41 PM Saturday, July 26 2008

Agree 7 Disagree 4 Offensive 3

Congratulations!

Wish the family all the very best. Canada needs more babies and children to care for the senior citizen population. Study hard and play hard kids all the best again.

Posted by True Sportsman at 4:10 PM Saturday, July 26 2008

Agree 19 Disagree 7 Offensive 1
This sounds like the Canadian version of that idiot Duggar family. Sooooo, dad works a construction job so we can be reasonably certain that he earns a wage which places them in the upper percentile of tax brackets and that they don't need public assistance. He says he isn't "worried about the job" right now. That right there beats all I have ever heard!!!! EIGHTEEN kids and he isn't worried about working? You can rest assured that mom doesn't work as she probably has either been pregnant or nursing for the greater part of a quarter century. One or both of these people needed to be sterilized long ago because from the sound of it, they are'nt finished yet.

What a waste of taxpayer's money.
July 27, 2008
I already posted this as #2812 in the Bratfree section, complete with pictures!

Keep working more hours, CF people! Millions of breeders depend on us.
Anonymous User
July 27, 2008
kidlesskim Wrote:
> He says he isn't "worried about the job" right now.
> That right there beats all I have ever heard!!!! EIGHTEEN
> kids and he isn't worried about working? You can
> rest assured that mom doesn't work as she probably
> has either been pregnant or nursing for the
> greater part of a quarter century. One or both of
> these people needed to be sterilized long ago
> because from the sound of it, they are'nt finished
> yet.
>
> What a waste of taxpayer's money.

That's the part that got to me especially, too. Who needs a job when you have so many mouths to feed?? And I won't even touch his other quote, "We strongly believe life comes from God and that's the reason we did not stop the life. We let life come." I don't know much about child benefits, but here's a response where someone made a conservative guess at what they're getting from the government for child benefits alone:

"A small Calculation - If she is not working (how could she) and 16 of her children are under age 18, guestimating that her husband earns maybe $45,000 a year, they would qualify for $3500 in Child Tax Benefits each month, or $42,000 each year. With a very raw calculation, by the time their youngest reaches age 18, even receiving less each time a child turns 18, this family will have received well over a half a million dollars in child tax benefits. This doesn't include their GST entitlement, or other provincial benefits."
Anonymous User
July 27, 2008
catmeow Wrote:
> I already posted this as #2812 in the Bratfree
> section, complete with pictures!

I just saw the pictures. Yes, I say sterilize the man! I suspect it would come as a relief to his wife, too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login