Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Severe Texas anti abortion bill struck down by judge

Posted by Anonymous User 
Would have closed more than half of TX abortion clinics, if they were not able meet regulations meant to force them to comply with hospital surgical room standards:

http://reason.com/24-7/2014/08/30/texas-judge-strikes-sown-restrictive-abo

This should lead to some wailing and gnashing of teeth :-)
Re: Severe Texas anti abortion bill struck down by judge
August 30, 2014
I saw this news item, too. Thank goodness these federal judges are striking down a lot of these awful laws passed by right-wing nutjob state legislatures and signed into law by Republican governors. The same-sex marriage laws are going down, too. A lot of those Republican governors elected in 2010 are up for re-election this year, so I hope they all get voted out!
August 30, 2014
I'm looking forward for this herd to be thinned out too. I'm sick and tired of these republicunts
August 31, 2014
Very positive. However, Texas has appealed and they ar e going to the notoriously conservative 5th federal circuit who is likely to overturn this ruling. No place to go but SCOTUS after that, which scares me.
August 31, 2014
ex lurker
Would have closed more than half of TX abortion clinics, if they were not able meet regulations meant to force them to comply with hospital surgical room standards:

http://reason.com/24-7/2014/08/30/texas-judge-strikes-sown-restrictive-abo

This should lead to some wailing and gnashing of teeth :-)

Texas officials immediately vowed to appeal the decision to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, in New Orleans...
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/30/us/politics/federal-judge-strikes-down-restrictive-texas-abortion-law.html

Of course. And Texan yahoos don't bother to ask how much this fiasco is costing them.
August 31, 2014
evilchildlessbitch
Very positive. However, Texas has appealed and they ar e going to the notoriously conservative 5th federal circuit who is likely to overturn this ruling. No place to go but SCOTUS after that, which scares me.

Wasn't it the 5th Circuit that ruled that Mississippi's one clinic had to stay open?
September 01, 2014
Law, I believe this case was only heard by one federal judge. Texas immediately appealed to the federal court of appeals that consists of 3 Bush 2 appointees and the chief justice is bat shit crazy. I may be wrong, but I think Yearly, the one who struck down the T exams mess was the same who heard Mississippi case and they can also appeal to the higher court but I will have to dig through some info in the morning.
September 05, 2014
Well, it was a Bush appointee who is prosecuting Perry. Contrary to many RW sites, it ws not the "drunk DA" who filed and got the indictment. Her office recused itself.

This special prosecutor is R but has been very bipartisan. The tide may be turning here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login