Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

#1112: More Ovaltine, Please...NOT!

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
#1112: More Ovaltine, Please...NOT!
March 22, 2006
If you think the radio ads are bad, you should see the TV commercials. Same idea, but here you get to SEE the Stepford-wife moos.

One moo says to the other, "The kids are coming home soon." The other moo says, "Let's make them some OVALTINE!" "I'll get the milk", "I'll get the OVALTINE!" Both moos have this plastered-on Stepford moo smile, which stays plastered on as a horde of screaming brats comes running into the house.

At the end, one Stepford moo says to the other, "Let's make MORE!"

Gack.
Re: #1112: More Ovaltine, Please...NOT!
March 22, 2006
I feel so uneducated...what is Ovaltine anyway? It sounds either like a dry skin lotion or some kind of anti-psychosis drug (God knows, parents these days WOULD be running to give their crazy little Indigo children such medications).
Anonymous User
March 22, 2006
Ovaltine is a yummy chockie drink.Kid generally drink it but its good for grownups too smiling smiley
I really hate those type of adds aswell.They are so bloody corny its not funny.I dont know the add you are reffering to as I am based in Melbourne but it sure sounds good for a laugh.
Lady Cooper
March 22, 2006
I don't think we have it here in Canada, but judging by the ads, I'm glad.
mercurior 1
March 23, 2006

http://www.slate.com/id/2074516/

Though an acquired taste, Ovaltine became popular due to clever marketing campaigns in both Europe and the United States. The brand sponsored radio shows, such as Britain's The Ovaltineys and America's Captain Midnight (the latter of which gave away decoder rings to young listeners). Ovaltine was the official tipple of the 1948 Olympics and was carried up Mount Everest by Sir Edmund Hillary in 1953

Familiar to generations of kids as a chocolaty treat, Ovaltine was originally concocted as a nutritional supplement for those in need of more rounded diets. In the late 19th century, Swiss chemist Georg Wander invented a cheap process to harvest malt extract, a syrup derived from malted barley that's commonly used by beer brewers. The barley was first allowed to germinate, or sprout rootlets, in a moist environment. Wander then used a vacuuming process to dehydrate this softened grain, leaving behind a thick, sweet goo. He hoped this syrup, once fortified with goodies like vitamin D and phosphorous, would someday win the world's battle against malnutrition.

Ovaltine may not have solved the planet's nutrition woes, but it is a lot more wholesome than such sweet rivals as Yoo-hoo and Nesquik. Four teaspoons of Ovaltine mixed with 8 ounces of skim milk provides a solid helping of vitamins A, C, D, B1, B2, and B6, as well as niacin and, yes, that all-important phosphorous. Low-carb dieters beware: The fat content is zero, but malt is an Atkins' diet no-no.

FMA! They've got television commercials! I must be watching the right channels, as I've never been subjected to those. Cripes. After reading the description that Merc posted, I'd almost try it because I LOVE malt. However, I will continue to boycott their product due to it's abhorrent advertising campaign.

On another advertising note, this radio station used to run these hilarious gun safety public service announcements involving children who accidentally shot friends or sibilings. My favorite was a little girl taking about how she was playing with her little sister. "Sally was 3. She liked pink, and we were playing house. I found Daddy's gun. Sally isn't here any more. I hate me." Oh man, I don't know what's wrong with me, but every time she'd say "I hate me" it would get me laughing uncontrollably.
Anonymous User
March 23, 2006
I hate Ovaltine.
It must be an aquired taste, because someone gave me a glass as a kid and I almost puked. BLEEEECHHHHH
March 23, 2006
it should be served HOT, like hot chocolate, but with a malty taste. at least thats how it used to be many years ago.
I've seen this God-awful commercial. The kids in it look like the poster children for wedgies and swirlies. I think it could only be enhanced by their nutritionally aware mommies whipping out their tits to fill each spawns wittle Ovaltine mug.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.