Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Negligent Parents Hit Payday From Denny'd

Posted by MerlynHerne 
Negligent Parents Hit Payday From Denny'd
October 26, 2014
Found this at Eater. Parents whose toddler spilled coffee on herself got $500,004o when the judge ruled that Denny's was negligent. Supposedly the kyd needs lifetime medical care for first- and second-degree burns.
I call bullshit as I have had second-degree burns and after treating them, I went on to have a long and happy life.

Comments are pretty good and skewer the parents for negligent and that is exactly what they were. I agree. When I was a wee sprog and my mother would take me out to lunch, she would make sure hot items, especially coffee, were out of reach and as I got older, I knew not to touch stuff like that. A 14-month old likely doesn't know any better but the parents should have.

Linky
Re: Negligent Psrents Hit Payday From Denny'd
October 26, 2014
Why would anybody ever consider opening a business when you've got a "justice" system like this one?

Even if you run an honest, safe business you are bound to get sued because of people like this.
October 26, 2014
The take-home lesson is if you're going to open a business, never allow children on the premises. No exceptions, no getting soft. There is absolutely no benefit in being a "family-friendly" business. You lose money, you're open to liability if the little shit gets hurt even when it's no fault of yours or your business, it's impossible to have a clean environment when children are allowed, you get bad press if you don't kiss the ass of breeders, etc.

I'd rather deal with the temporary bad press of whiny breeders not being allowed to bring their little assholes because that's a lot easier than allowing them entry.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
October 26, 2014
paragon schnitzophonic
The take-home lesson is if you're going to open a business, never allow children on the premises. No exceptions, no getting soft. There is absolutely no benefit in being a "family-friendly" business. You lose money, you're open to liability if the little shit gets hurt even when it's no fault of yours or your business, it's impossible to have a clean environment when children are allowed, you get bad press if you don't kiss the ass of breeders, etc.

I'd rather deal with the temporary bad press of whiny breeders not being allowed to bring their little assholes because that's a lot easier than allowing them entry.

Exactly. Thus was pretty much what I was going to say.
October 27, 2014
I guess the question is where is it going to end? At what point do people accept that not everything is someone else's fault and sue?
October 27, 2014
Someday, restaurants will stop serving coffee. All food and beverages will be lukewarm and will be served on rubber plates.
October 27, 2014
bop
Someday, restaurants will stop serving coffee. All food and beverages will be lukewarm and will be served on rubber plates.

At that point breeders will go after a coffee shop.

Restaurants are already the most difficult type of business to keep open. I suspect that lukewarm beverages will help them but rather could cost them business. It is really sad that judges are so breeder friendly, it is disgusting.
Re: Negligent Parents Hit Payday From Denny'd
October 28, 2014
Just, what the fuck. Surely common sense says that if you have a 14 month old brat, you keep the hot drinks the hell away from it? Nooooo, lets let the kyd play with the hot drink and get some ££ instead.

Lifetime medical care for first and second degree burns? I think the fuck NOT. :BS
Re: Negligent Parents Hit Payday From Denny'd
October 28, 2014
Burn classification

1st degree

2nd degree/ partial thickness

Deep second degree / partial thickness

3rd degree

4th degree / full thickness

Rule of nines estimating burn area

Because of differences in skin surface areas and skin thickness a massive second degree burns in a pediatric patient can cause the kinds of scarring that will require
numerous if not life time surgeries. Chances are if the child was 14 months any hot liquid would hit the head and face. If you look at the rule of nines, for head and face burns on an adult the Body Surface Area is 9%. On a pediatric case it is 18%. Facial burns are always triaged critical because of the airway. Even coffee burns to the face can cause critical airway swelling. If most of this coffee hit the kids head and face it's a critical burn. 2nd degree burns on the head and face will cause the kind of scarring the will require numerous plastic surgeries for many years. Populations with the tendency for keloids have even greater post burn issues.

Concerns for this child:

1) Airway management - did the kid end up on a vent?
2) Pain management - big time narcotics - and the respiratory issues associated with them
3) Wound care - debridement of the wounds and the pain going with that. Were the wounds circumferential around the chest and escharotomy required?
4) Post discharge care - wound care - surgical and plastic surgery follow ups.

That doesn't absolve the parents, hell it makes them all the more wrong. Just a lesson in burn management.

All preventable by paying attention. The kid cashes the reality check again.

Click here to login