Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strollers at an "over 21" concert!

Posted by Tiquer 
Strollers at an "over 21" concert!
August 24, 2008
This past Friday our local historical society had an outdoor summer concert, advertised as an over 21 show because beer and wine was included in the admission price. Sure enough, there were a few women who felt compelled to bring their kids along. When I got up to make my way over to the snack table, there was one woman grazing alongside a gigantic stroller blocking the fruit and cheese platters, and another woman simply was dragging her two behind her. What are people thinking when they bring their kids along to a performance, that at best, their kids will have zero interest in, and at worst, the kiddies will make some sort of scene because they are tired/hungry/bored?
Anonymous User
Re: Strollers at an "over 21" concert!
August 24, 2008
What are they thinking? They're thinking this: "Oh how I looong for the days back when I was child-free and I could do as I please..oh, but now, I've this aDOREable little tot...SURELY I can re-claim my once admired, quiet, normal lifestyle by basking in all the 'ewwwwws' and 'awwwwwws' of total strangers' reactions to my little miruh-cle'.

They're SELFISH Tiquer, and it's AAAAAAAAAll about them!
August 24, 2008
You are so right and they are SO pathetic.
August 24, 2008
Why the hell did they even let them in? Which part of "over 21" do they not understand?
August 24, 2008
Something here tells me that the breeders only paid for themselves and nothing extra for their brat baggage getting in the way of everyone else.

The woman grazing alongside a gigantic stroller blocking the fruit and cheese platters should have asked the breeder if the crotchfruit inside the stroller was part of the food to eat. grinning smiley

Keep working more hours, CF people! Millions of breeders depend on us.
August 24, 2008
"Over 21" is pretty unambiguous. I fault the gatekeepers/ticket sellers for not enforcing a reasonable rule. I don't want to see Snotleigh at my local microbrewery beer festival.
August 25, 2008
Absolutely it should be up to the gatekeepers not to let them in. I would have been so incensed at seeing these filthy snots wandering around a civilised 'do' that I would've casually and discreetly sauntered up to the gatekeeper or chairman and had a quiet word, as in "Did you know that a couple of your guests...?". If nothing else, just to see what kind of excuses they try to dream up.

I wonder if these middle class mah-mees were actually middle-class husband-hunting!

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
August 25, 2008
Amethyst said: "I wonder if these middle class mah-mees were actually middle-class husband-hunting!"

Wouldn't doubt it for a second. And how attractive, to be scoping the "meat market" with one's little pork chops in tow. Walking advertisement for how not to screw up one's life.
August 25, 2008
Last year there was a big free concert sponsored by Southern Comfort which was obviously a 21+ event. DH and I showed up early to scope out the scene for our friends, find out about bike parking and what could and could not be carried in (strollers were listed in the banned items). While we were sitting outside the gates taking a break from our bike ride out there, we saw 2 separate family units show up with several sprogs each in tow. We snuck up closer to overhear the conversations they were having with the gate people, who obviously didn't care and weren't having any of it. The breeders would whine "but I'll be watching Shitford", "we're not drinking", "What else are we supposed to do?", "But we came in one car". The gate people would just roll their eyes and say "No, no one under 21, it's not our problem".

Eventually the second family just HAD to speak to the head of security who showed up and not-so-politely explained that there were no children, no strollers and no baby carriers, allowed at this 21+ drunk fest because of liability issues. One breeder actually said "What issues?" and the head security guy said "If one child comes in here and gets injured, the parents will sue and this will no longer be a free event for adults". The moo, complete with sprog sling, was actually crying as they walked back to their car.

PWND!

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Anonymous User
August 25, 2008
Feh: Precisely one of the reasons my husband and me very rarely attend these once-fun activities anymore. I think it's probably been 3 or even more years since we've attended any biker rallys or festivals. Who wants to see a brat while my husband is groping me while we drink beer?

And better yet: Why in the FUCK would a parent want their kid to see such stuff??? hitting over the head with a hammerhitting over the head with a hammerhitting over the head with a hammer
Anonymous User
August 25, 2008
By the way, what's PWND??
August 25, 2008
PWND is online gamer slang for Owned! meaning that you totally beat that person in a game. It's from the common mistyping of owned.

I still prefer events that are marketed as 21 and up. There is still a chance that the security people will enforce it, like the SoCo event. It actually does keep some parents and sprogs away, and I get free license to give the stink eye, bitch face, or rude shove to any breeders and children who are at the event. "Oh I'm sorry I knocked Shitleigh over! I didn't realize there'd be children here, at the 21+ event...and I'm drunk, because you know, I'm over 21 and drinking."

"It truly is the one commonality that every designation of humans you can think of has, there's at least one asshole."
--Me
Feh, I commend the security staff for having a backbone and holding strong (and doing their jobs) by preventing the moos with their kyds from entering. Better to have them walk away in tears than to have you and the other attendees having your concert-going experience ruined by the kyds, even if the kyds did not get injured and the moos sued.

And yes, what does PWND mean?
August 25, 2008
See above for the meaning...I'd say it's the online version of Nelson Muntz or Edna Crabapple's (from the simpsons) sarcastic HA's!

I actually took the time to write a letter to SoCo letting them know how much I appreciated the fact that the security company enforced the rules. I try to do that at any 21+ event I attend like beer fests, or this show. Unfortunately, my last beer fest letter was a complaint about the number of toddlers I had the displeasure of having to avoid (I did also knock a couple over! HA!) during that fest, and how they're basically setting themselves up for some serious liability issues should any of these precious children get injured by a stumbling/falling drunk.

--Me
Anonymous User
August 25, 2008
But..but...it's their riiiiiiight to attend these things with their chiiiiiiiil-drun. And of course, WE all have adjust our behavior to their presence because you know, chiiiiil-druhn have rights too!!!!
August 25, 2008
str8six Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But..but...it's their riiiiiiight to attend these
> things with their chiiiiiiiil-drun. And of
> course, WE all have adjust our behavior to their
> presence because you know, chiiiiil-druhn have
> rights too!!!!

Fuck 'em and feed 'em fish.
If I don't have the right to go anywhere I want, even if I'm really REALLY curious, they also do not have that right. There are MANY places you CAN NOT go, and you just have to DEAL WITH IT.

I actually got into an argument with a fellow who had a teenager he wanted to take, but got turned away and had to take the kid back home. He was going on about how it would have been such a "great experience" for the kid, because the band playing was AMAZING and the kid was a big fan. I told him that there are dozens of equally amazing bands who play here every year in bars that the kid can't attend either, nor should he. I never got to see U2, REM, Devo, Siouxsie & The Banshees or Johnny FUCKING Cash play in bars so small you could smell the band from the back of the venue, because I was under 21 at the time. I don't think it should be any different now. Part of growing up is learning that you don't get to do everything you want.

Oh, and one could have heard the entire show from the all-ages accessible public park across the street, like my friend's designated driver 17 year old daughter did.

--Me
Anonymous User
August 25, 2008
Medusa Wrote:
> Why the hell did they even let them in? Which part
> of "over 21" do they not understand?

The brains go out with the afterbirth.
Anonymous User
August 25, 2008
str8six Wrote:
> By the way, what's PWND??

I've been meaning to ask that question..
August 25, 2008
two cents ΒΆΒΆ Wrote:
> str8six Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > By the way, what's PWND??
>
>
> I've been meaning to ask that question..

Look up!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login