Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

having a playdate? keep your little brother/sister occupied too!

Posted by ladybug2203 
having a playdate? keep your little brother/sister occupied too!
February 24, 2015
http://www.mamapedia.com/article/younger-sibling-wants-in-on-her-sister-tick-s-playdates

Its not so much the OP that bothers me, its the commenters. My youngest sister (not the autistic one) is 8 years younger than me and I was expected to keep her occupied during my play dates (cuz if shewasnt included she'd cry heaven forbid....) the only time I got refuge with my friends is when she took a nap, around 13ish I concluded it wasn't worth it to have friends over, cuz it just meant more babysitting for me as she was dumped on me enough as is, it royally sucked trying to entertain a guest and keeping a toddler occupied at the same time. Play dates are supposed to be an enrichment activity for child, not a break for the parents. If you had kid its YOUR responsibility to keep it occupied while your older one has a play date, this shit makes me so mad.
I have a sister who is 3 and 1/2 years older than me, so I definitely remember her having friends over when I was still considered too young to have friends over. Guess what? I wasn't allowed to bother them! It's really not that difficult to say no to a kid. Even though it sucks to be the youngest kid, I got over it and wasn't scarred for life.
Re: having a playdate? keep your little brother/sister occupied too!
February 25, 2015
The bottom line is that we're a family and family comes first. Their friends fit into our family and don't get to shut us out in our own home. So far, all of the kids have adjusted to this just fine and our playdates are typically a ton of fun with everyone playing and learning how to get along.”

Yeah, okay, let’s see how that works when the kids hit their teens. Oh wait, it’ll totally blow up in Moo’s face. I would love to be on that famblee vacation ten years from now when all the kids are complaining that this is boring and they hate it here and they would rather be with their friends, and the parents are miserable because this was supposed to be a fun famblee trip!
Yuk! I hate those “We’re a famblee! We do everything together! Famblee comes first!” types of people. Trying a bit too hard, aren’t we? And really, who wants to hang out with their younger sibling? I certainly didn’t. My brother was a holy terror when he was younger.
February 25, 2015
efsb
The bottom line is that we're a family and family comes first. Their friends fit into our family and don't get to shut us out in our own home. So far, all of the kids have adjusted to this just fine and our playdates are typically a ton of fun with everyone playing and learning how to get along.”

Yeah, okay, let’s see how that works when the kids hit their teens. Oh wait, it’ll totally blow up in Moo’s face. I would love to be on that famblee vacation ten years from now when all the kids are complaining that this is boring and they hate it here and they would rather be with their friends, and the parents are miserable because this was supposed to be a fun famblee trip!
Yuk! I hate those “We’re a famblee! We do everything together! Famblee comes first!” types of people. Trying a bit too hard, aren’t we? And really, who wants to hang out with their younger sibling? I certainly didn’t. My brother was a holy terror when he was younger.

This reminds me of the Griswolds in the National Lampoon's Vacation movie series. Hilarious, but they never worked out.
February 25, 2015
saturnian catalina
I have a sister who is 3 and 1/2 years older than me, so I definitely remember her having friends over when I was still considered too young to have friends over. Guess what? I wasn't allowed to bother them! It's really not that difficult to say no to a kid. Even though it sucks to be the youngest kid, I got over it and wasn't scarred for life.

It was the same rule for me when my older sister had friends over, but when I was old enough to have friends over, that rule didn't apply to her so she'd often try to get involved what me and my friends did and more often than not, my friends would start gravitating towards her and away from me. I resented this, but our parents wouldn't help me when I asked them to and I couldn't figure out a way to beat her at her own game. She didn't want me having friends so she tried to steal the few friends I made, and usually succeeded. I just couldn't outsmart her.
February 25, 2015
efsb
Yuk! I hate those “We’re a famblee! We do everything together! Famblee comes first!” types of people. Trying a bit too hard, aren’t we?

That was my mother. She had this stereotyped notion in her head of what a "family" was supposed to look like, and she persued it relentlessly. And, of course, she made everyone miserable in the process.
February 26, 2015
efsb

Ugh, my friend's parents were like that, her mom in particular. Birthdays and holidays, plus certain other days on the calendar, were designated as Famblee Days. What that really meant was You Can't See Anyone Who Doesn't Have Common DNA Days. Friend wasn't even allowed to leave the yard. Another buddy and I conspired to "happen by" while Friend was outside during a Famblee Day. We stood on the sidewalk, and Friend stood in her yard, and we chatted for a while. Her mom watched from the window most of the time, and then after a few minutes she came to the door and called Friend inside. Creepy.
February 28, 2015
My mother pulled that shit on holidays and every Sunday when I was a kid...I wasn't allowed to see/play/talk to my friends, because I had to spend it with "family." Then when I got older I found out that all of my other friends were going to each other's houses on Xmas day, to check out each others' loot, and playing/hanging out every Sunday. My sister contends that the Chrsitmas rule was to keep us from realizing how little we got, compared to others, but I don't know. I think it may have just been my mother's controlling nature. At any rate, by the time I was 13, I started rebelling against the nonsense. Every Sunday, for awhile, there was a big fight before I was finally set free to go off with my firends, but after awhile, she gave up. We didn't even do anything as a family. So let's see, hang around like a prisoner all day, or go swimming/biking hiking with friends? Pretty clear choice!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login