Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Netflix offering one year of paid leave to parents

Posted by StudioFiftyFour 
Re: Netflix offering one year of paid leave to parents
August 08, 2015
trekkie monster
This is very clever of big companies! Just as the debate about the length of maternity leave is circling around being made mandatory, they voluntarily institute it.

Now they have people on their side, going "See?! It doesn't have to be made mandatory, they're doing it voluntarily!"
Whatever a company institutes voluntarily, can also be discontinued when it "doesn't work out".

My code: CU(k)NT

The way that our system usually is that if you do something voluntarily, you will be expected to do it in the future. If enough companies offer moo-termite leave, I can see the laws being passed making it mandatory since "everyone is already doing it anyways". People here are dumb and politics are clever.
August 08, 2015
I think this extended leave is the exception rather than the rule. Corporations are trying to cut costs where ever possible, pensions are being phased out except for the public sector and places with unions, and the US is slowly following the European model of the majority of jobs being contract or temporary positions, only we don't have nationalized health care like they do. So in their bid to attract talent, Netflix will soon have that talent absent for a year at a time, which can only hurt the company.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
August 08, 2015
Miss_Hannigan
So in their bid to attract talent, Netflix will soon have that talent absent for a year at a time, which can only hurt the company.

You made me think of something I hadn't before. I work in a breeder-heavy company. Policies are very lax when it comes to not just taking leave, but just picking up and leaving early for no good reason at all when they've just come back, because, you know, she just had a bayyyybeeeee or (new one) his wife just had a bayyyyybeeeee. The worst of them, like one cow who popped out three in aboutthe same number of years, stack one pignancy on top of the other so they keep cashing in and putting placeholders on their positions without having to do a damned thing. Of course these freeloaders never use choice or vacation time when they sneak out and people like me who actually work get hammered covering for them. However--I'm always there. I do the job. If I need to be in early, I'm early. If I need to stay late, I'm late. My boss and most of my colleagues know I've chosen not to have kids and whether they like it or not they know moo leave is not on my agenda. I've created a huge wall of job security for myself. And I do this all with hypothyroidism that makes me feel like I have a bad hangover most days (with a new non-asshat doctor that will hopefully be changing soon). I also hide how I'm feeling 90% of the time. I work from home only sparingly. Why? Because I'm hellbent on keeping my job in this shit economy. The moment one of them gets knocked up it's as if they can't even lift a finger for themselves anymore, and here I am with intense fatigue and lightheadedness and brain fog and I'm still banging out projects early. I may feel fucked up a lot of the time I'm there, but I'm still there when they aren't. And as thankless as it feels, guess who reaps the rewards at review time.

Talent that's gone for long stretches of time majorly hurts the company, which makes talent that's always there that much more desirable.Mr. T: I pitty tha foolongue2

"If your parenting didn't make him a sociopath the lack of it did." -Jessica Jones
August 10, 2015
shy lurker
Isn't netflixs a dying company? Won't this move be bad for the company financially.

The DVD mail service is, but now everything is streamed online or thru cable and dish services.

This will get expensive for them, more so when the unchilded decide to walk because they are not getting paid leave to enjoy lifestyle choices of their own.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
August 13, 2015
This morning, I went to check my email, and one made me fucking RAGE - and it was about Netflix's leave. Now, I've signed more than a few petitions that Ultraviolet has formed, and donated a few times to things it's sent me emails about.

No longer. They had the audacity to WHINE about Netflix's leave policy. And it wasn't whining because boo-hoo no other companies are doing it. NO, they were whining because they think IT'S NOT FUCKING ENOUGH! Because Netflix isn't offering it to EVERY single employee they have, they want to boo-hoo and cry about it.

Last week, Netflix announced that its employees will get unlimited maternal and paternal leave.

One, big and terrible caveat: Netflix's DVD division, which is made up of lower-wage workers, isn't eligible. Yet this benefit is made available to employees making as much as $300,000--not the lower-paid employees who need parental leave the most.

Based on the big public relations campaign around their announcement, Netflix cares that the press, public, and future employees see the announcement positively. The backlash over this unfair policy has begun, and we can take it to the next level so that Netflix extends its unlimited leave policy to ALL working moms and dads--not just the ones who make the most.

Will you tell Netflix to extend its new parental leave policy to ALL workers? Me:NO All women and men should have the right to be able to work AND be a parent.
emphasis mine. Fuck off UV. Sure I want to extend the leave to ALL workers - not just the ones who shit out a brat. That's isn't ALL workers, dumbasses. It certainly IS unfair, but not for the reasons YOU think it is. Big and terrible caveat my ass.

I just unsubscribed from their emails. I've been annoyed at them getting worked up over stupid ass things before, usually public beefing or their 'but she's a mooooo' petitions, but this takes the fucking cake.

And I was ready to drop Netflix over this - however, I am still one of the few with a DVD plan as well as streaming, because most of the movies I want to watch aren't available by streaming. Instead, I might just drop the streaming plan since this asinine leave plan isn't offered to their DVD employees. So I suppose I should thank Ultraviolet, actually. If Netflix caves to their petition though, bye bye Netflix. I refuse to support something as horrible and discriminatory as that.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
August 13, 2015
Adobe has joined in with extended calving leave for freshly-loaved employees. Now I can say fuck them for both their subscription-only software model AND their discrimination against the child free.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33861994

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login